5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing stock halogen bulb assembly with 'premium LED' assembly...

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post over here, and I've been Googling for hours... so I thought I'd sign up and ask for your advice. Hopefully someone can help here.

I just picked up my 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn two weeks ago (on my birthday, of all days!) and regret not getting the premium LED package. They didn't have any in stock at the dealer for what I was looking for, so I went without them. Now, I wish to change them to the premium LED packages. I don't know if it is possible without some serious work, but I am asking for the future me to know what to expect.

Has anyone done this yet? Is it easily doable? The mechanics at the dealership told me that the 2013-2018 trucks were literally plug and play. I am hoping that it is still the case with the new model.

I am not looking to get that steering assisted lighting to work (whatever the technical term is...?), but I would love to get the lights installed.

I'll continue to search for an answer, but I am also hoping that you guys might be able to assist.

I apologize if this has been posted before. I did have a search, but couldn't find much. All I could find was recommending the HLR bulbs rather than the entire assembly replacement(s).

Thank you all!

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Welcome and No it sucks but it won’t be a direct plug and play you will need some sort of custom harness to make them work. I believe there’s still no harness out yet.
And they are wrong about the 2013 to 2018 years being “plug and play”. The dual to projector headlights swaps need a special harness to make them work as well.

The led tail lights in the other hand seem to be plug and play and you won’t have any issues swapping them now. There’s plenty of other post one posted today actually about the tail lights.

Good luck

Here’s a teaser for you lol

Attachments

• A58E98CF-E1E4-4718-84AD-4477BD6F06B3.jpeg
    A58E98CF-E1E4-4718-84AD-4477BD6F06B3.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 33B15F44-C05B-4CC7-BE4A-39479AFD20C7.jpeg
    33B15F44-C05B-4CC7-BE4A-39479AFD20C7.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 34

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, ya know, the LEDs are cool looking, but it’s not a show stopper for me. The real beauty of the RAM is the total package.. the styling, the ride, the quality of the interior, the overall package. Hands down, the nicest truck on the market today. Big Horn with halogens and 8.4” screen all the way up to the Limited loaded to the hilt. It’s a nice, nice truck. I feel like the king of the road when I’m driving it. I’d still rather have my Big Horn then a Denali. Honestly. Just enjoy it.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys!

It's a little unfortunate that I can't just plug them in... but I guess that's how it goes with brand new trucks. I'll keep an eye out for them.

It's probably not a bad thing... I need to curb the spending habits for a little while. :cautious:

Those tail lights are extremely expensive! I have found them for significantly less elsewhere... ;)

For what it's worth; I agree with the statement of enjoying the truck. I do really enjoy driving it. It's a step up from the 2017 model that I had, and I couldn't be happier. There's just a few tweaks I'd like to make (heated steering wheel, replace the seats with leather/heated options...) but I'm really happy with the truck as it sits. She's a beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread