5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing halogen lamps

Gsmith223

Reaction score
I have a bighorn sport and cant stand the orange lamps. Has anyone had success changing these out? I have changed bulbs before in a Ram but wasnt sure how different this one would be.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4217.JPG
    IMG_4217.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 46
  • orange lights.jpg
    orange lights.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 45

GATORB8

Reaction score
Doesn't look too bad, there's an access panel in the front of the wheel house liners.

Step by step starts on page 435 of the owner's manual.

Gsmith223

Reaction score
Will LEDs work? I am trying to figure out what to buy, probably want 6000k

GATORB8

Reaction score
No personal experience with this truck because I've got LEDs, but I always had concerns with swapping bulb types in trucks in the past because halogen reflector housings don't cutoff the same as HID and LEDs, and HID and LED PnP don't position the light arc in the same location they are in a halogen bulb creating additional light above the cutoff. I didn't want to be the guy driving down the road blinding everyone at night.

GATORB8

Reaction score
So it sounds like I should stick with halogens?
That's what I would do. Sylvania Silverstars or Phillips Crystalvision will get you whiter output, although it sacrifices bulb life.

Looks like H11s for lows and fogs, 9005 for highs i the Halogen Reflector Headlamps per the manual.

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
No personal experience with this truck because I've got LEDs, but I always had concerns with swapping bulb types in trucks in the past because halogen reflector housings don't cutoff the same as HID and LEDs, and HID and LED PnP don't position the light arc in the same location they are in a halogen bulb creating additional light above the cutoff. I didn't want to be the guy driving down the road blinding everyone at night.

I had the same issue in my 2011 1500. I put some LED bulbs in. They lit and ran fine. The design though where it is a flat board with an LED on each side caused problems. There were threads where people were modifying to get them indexed correctly but I didn't want to deal with it so I returned them.

People seem to be having luck over here though https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/has-anyone-try-2019-ram-retrofit-headlights.3398/page-2

RockJock

Reaction score
HID projector retrofit would be an option too, depending on how much time and money you're willing to spend. That involves opening your headlights up (usually buying a pair just for the retrofit), mounting/aligning the projector, and wiring it all up. You can also find companies that will do retrofit and all you have to do is swap out the headlight housing and run the wires. I did it 7 years ago on a Silverado I had. It was a good project and learning experience. HIDs are so much better than halogen. However, there are downsides to a retrofit. Reliability comes to mind. I had a lot of problems with the relay in mine. Sometimes the lights wouldn't come on and once they shut off while I was driving 65mph. I carried an extra relay with me. One of my ballasts failed after about 3 years. Again, this was 7 years ago. Quality may have improved since then. Depending on the type of ballast and mounting location you may have to waterproof it. I can't say how HID compared to LED. I've never had a vehicle with LED headlights.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score

Attachments

• 855145CB-EE54-4F53-A591-0CD2574CB9F8.jpeg
    855145CB-EE54-4F53-A591-0CD2574CB9F8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • 0F689FD4-A791-4776-B0D4-21E1AE0BA680.jpeg
    0F689FD4-A791-4776-B0D4-21E1AE0BA680.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread