5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing Fuel Octane

DeanM2

Reaction score
Gonna be doing some towing so I plan to change from 87 octane to 89 octane for a while.
In my 10 year old Jeep, if you changed something like octane, the computer would take many weeks to figure it out and adjust the tune accordingly. Or, you could just disconnect the battery, and it would immediately retune.
With my 2023 Ram 1500 Hemi, how do you, or can you, force the computer to immediately retune for the new octane?

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't overthink it, the truck will do it and you won't even notice it. I've gone from 91 to 93 and back to 91, many times and I can't say that I've actually noticed any difference.

cerbo

Reaction score
I don t know for sure but I don t believe these system octane detection take weeks. On different manufactures I ve had the system detects knocks ,or lack of, in real time and adjusts pretty fast. Under what you are suggesting the truck could be knocking with low octane for weeks, don t believe that to be true.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It probably will only take one drive cycle to adjust the base timing. Which is in general terms, a cold start, warm up to operating temperature, some idling, some steady cruising, and a deceleration. It won't rquire anything special on your part.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I seriously boubt that your old jeep did any kind of thinking or adjusting whatsoever. They are pretty spartan and do not think. The Ram is far from as intricate as some guys on this forum would have you believe. You don't have Data from the Enterprise living in the dash. The knock sensor adjusts your timing. No matter the gas you put in, the sensor performs the same function.

cerbo

Reaction score
I seriously boubt that your old jeep did any kind of thinking or adjusting whatsoever. They are pretty spartan and do not think. The Ram is far from as intricate as some guys on this forum would have you believe. You don't have Data from the Enterprise living in the dash. The knock sensor adjusts your timing. No matter the gas you put in, the sensor performs the same function.
correct , and they are pretty fast reacting.

Users who are viewing this thread