5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing color of truck?

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has painted their truck a new color recently. I know it sounds stupid and certainly doesn't make financial sense, but I had originally wanted to order the Rugged Brown color for my truck but it wasn't available at the time so I had to settle for black. It's pretty but as we all know, it is hard to keep clean. In the past I have had brown colored trucks. My favorite was the Pyrite Mica on my 2007 Tundra. It could go weeks without me thinking it was too dirty. I am sure it is costly (guessing $2,000?) and to be done correctly would include door jams, taking the bed off, and painting under the hood (dang this is sounding even dumber), etc. Plus it wouldn't coincide with my paint code/VIN. But has anyone done this before and is it more involved or less involved than i'm thinking? Thanks.

KRField

Reaction score
I had Gen 4 quoted at $7,500 for complete repaint. I only checked into it because the paint on the truck was full of trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luxy72462

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone keys mine. Lol. I’ve already asked my body guy what I’d take to paint it destroyer gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Darn “ Destroyer gray “ on a new body style 1500 would be sweet.

Jagtyson

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has painted their truck a new color recently. I know it sounds stupid and certainly doesn't make financial sense, but I had originally wanted to order the Rugged Brown color for my truck but it wasn't available at the time so I had to settle for black. It's pretty but as we all know, it is hard to keep clean. In the past I have had brown colored trucks. My favorite was the Pyrite Mica on my 2007 Tundra. It could go weeks without me thinking it was too dirty. I am sure it is costly (guessing $2,000?) and to be done correctly would include door jams, taking the bed off, and painting under the hood (dang this is sounding even dumber), etc. Plus it wouldn't coincide with my paint code/VIN. But has anyone done this before and is it more involved or less involved than i'm thinking? Thanks.
My original 2019 ivory Laramie was so badly paint matched from the factory the dealership was going to repaint fenders, doors and bed sides. The quote for warranty was $6,500 not including jambs, roof, hood, underside hood, tailgate......for a color change on a ram you are easily $10,000 and that may be on the cheap side.

Dealer decided just to do a buyback and I went granite instead of ivory tricoat.

Wrap it or trade it...either way you are looking at $$$$$

Attachments

• 20190201_151611.jpg
    20190201_151611.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190220_101650.jpg
    20190220_101650.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 81

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
You guys have busted my bubble :confused:. Makes sense because of the labor I guess. I'll just have to let it go. Thanks for your input.

1guyandtools

Reaction score
Cost of a full repaint is Approx 6-8500.00 if done properly. That truck might look good with the Walnut lowers, ( Which they are not making yet in Longhorn) If you have the painted bumper group, repaint bumpers, wheel flares and lower doors, fender, box should be about 2500.00 to 3000.00

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Yeah, like @Jagtyson said...

7500 could very well be the cost in trade.

So, if you got to a point where you figure that, or 8500 is worth it, you coukd get a factory paint job, PLUS new truck!

Also, could look at it like: 5000 for paint job, and 2500 for a new truck... or any combination of the numbers.
Don't want to burst anyone's bubble but throughout this forum several owners have started down the path to trading their new truck. Some for quality issues, some for the tow mirror ripoff, some for wanting for a different configuration. Many of these were on trucks with 500 to 3,500 miles and the reception the got from dealers were shocking.

One tow mirror guy with dealer discount and rebates would have taken a $20,000 out of pocket hit. Dealers dont want the tow mirror trucks.

Last week, rototerrier had a new longhorn $70,000 build show up at his dealership to replace his poorly painted ivory tricoat $67,000 truck. Before FCA finally decided to do a buyback, he walked out of the dealership with a $24,000 depreciation hit on his old (old new) truck.

Dealer basically told him they didn't want his defective truck and had no incentive to really even do the trade.

Dealers are in it to make money and a few care about their customers as well.

Few.

Pick a bad sales month and find the truck you really want on their lot and you have a chance. Try to order what you want and trade your new ram.....look out $$$$$$

Get it wrapped....

Users who are viewing this thread