5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes to factory order

Switch22

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to make a change to their order once it's been accepted by the factory? I ordered a Laramie Sport with the OffRoad package on May 24th. I received an email from RamTrucks.com on the 28th indicating my order was processed and the next stage is to be scheduled for production. I realized I had forgotten to spec out the 3.92 gears on my order build, and my dealer says no changes can be made once a VIN is assigned. That's somewhat surprising, as the 392 option wouldn't have any bearing on the VIN coding. Is this just a RAM thing? I've ordered two Rubicons from Jeep in the past, and the dealers helped me out in both cases. The first case, they made a change to the build on a vehicle that was ordered by the dealer for inventory. They had it ear marked for me instead, and added a couple options I wanted. That was after a VIN was assigned but before it was scheduled for production. In the second case, a dealer put in a new order for another Rubicon even after the first order had a VIN assigned, as the wife wanted a couple changes made for her Jeep. The dealer said basically, no problem, they would just put the first order on the lot when it arrives and sell it there. Is my dealer just being lazy and not willing to help me out, or is RAM firm on their order process? Any ideas, guys? Thanks.

brewdad

Reaction score
Your dealer is wrong----if your Ram has not been scheduled, changes can be made. Once scheduled for production, no changes allowed.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would say it depends on the dealer. Two weeks after ordering mine I tried to change to a standard Hemi without eTorque but was told it was too late to make changes. My truck wasn’t even scheduled yet. I’m guessing my dealer just didn’t want to deal with the change process. 🤨

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The order can be changed within reason, they have to contact their rep to make the changes. Updating/changing the axle ratio shouldn't be an issue. It may delay your build date, I added LED lights on my backcountry and it delayed it by about a month.

Switch22

Reaction score
I would say it depends on the dealer. Two weeks after ordering mine I tried to change to a standard Hemi without eTorque but was told it was too late to make changes. My truck wasn’t even scheduled yet. I’m guessing my dealer just didn’t want to deal with the change process. 🤨
Thanks. Figured as much.

Switch22

Reaction score
The order can be changed within reason, they have to contact their rep to make the changes. Updating/changing the axle ratio shouldn't be an issue. It may delay your build date, I added LED lights on my backcountry and it delayed it by about a month.
Thanks. That sounds familiar. I believe my Jeep dealer on the second issue had to do the same, reaching out to their territory rep. Certain things just need to be rung up the pole, so to speak. My dealer I think is just being lazy, and not too focused on customer service. A bit disappointing.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was able to add the technology group to my build a couple weeks after placing the order. I think Ram is building faster right now than they were this time last year, though. This was a Mark Dodge order, so they probably have some weight with Ram given how many trucks they sell.

Switch22

Reaction score
I was able to add the technology group to my build a couple weeks after placing the order. I think Ram is building faster right now than they were this time last year, though. This was a Mark Dodge order, so they probably have some weight with Ram given how many trucks they sell.
Do you know if MD had to reach out to their territory rep/manager in order to make the change happen?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Your dealer is wrong----if your Ram has not been scheduled, changes can be made. Once scheduled for production, no changes allowed.
not always
my orders were not able to be changed
the dealer even contacted the area rep while I was sitting right next to him
which is why I have 3 orders in the tracker

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to make a change to their order once it's been accepted by the factory? I ordered a Laramie Sport with the OffRoad package on May 24th. I received an email from RamTrucks.com on the 28th indicating my order was processed and the next stage is to be scheduled for production. I realized I had forgotten to spec out the 3.92 gears on my order build, and my dealer says no changes can be made once a VIN is assigned. That's somewhat surprising, as the 392 option wouldn't have any bearing on the VIN coding. Is this just a RAM thing? I've ordered two Rubicons from Jeep in the past, and the dealers helped me out in both cases. The first case, they made a change to the build on a vehicle that was ordered by the dealer for inventory. They had it ear marked for me instead, and added a couple options I wanted. That was after a VIN was assigned but before it was scheduled for production. In the second case, a dealer put in a new order for another Rubicon even after the first order had a VIN assigned, as the wife wanted a couple changes made for her Jeep. The dealer said basically, no problem, they would just put the first order on the lot when it arrives and sell it there. Is my dealer just being lazy and not willing to help me out, or is RAM firm on their order process? Any ideas, guys? Thanks.
best to have the order restarted if it will take as v8's are rumored to be closed

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know if MD had to reach out to their territory rep/manager in order to make the change happen?
That's a good question but I don't know. Here's his answer after I first asked on 05/13/21.

"We can request it, but it could mess up the order since they’ve moved on to 2022s. Also, they’ve had price increases so if there are any price increases on your options they would charge you that as well."

I replied something and the same day he responded with this on 05/18/21:

"Looks like they added it and only adjust the pricing for the tech group. PDF attached. That’s awesome news!"

It doesn't sound like he went through a rep, but I can't say for certain. For reference, I ordered on 04/27/21. Oh, and I did already have a VIN issued (on 04/29/21.)

NRitland2

Reaction score
Push your dealer. I added a pano roof 3 weeks in prior to D1

Switch22

Reaction score
best to have the order restarted if it will take as v8's are rumored to be closed
I saw mention of that on this site last week. Was a bit surprised, that my order was confirmed. Dealer says in in "D stage", meaning it's certain to be built. Those were his words, will see.

Switch22

Reaction score
That's a good question but I don't know. Here's his answer after I first asked on 05/13/21.

"We can request it, but it could mess up the order since they’ve moved on to 2022s. Also, they’ve had price increases so if there are any price increases on your options they would charge you that as well."

I replied something and the same day he responded with this on 05/18/21:

"Looks like they added it and only adjust the pricing for the tech group. PDF attached. That’s awesome news!"

It doesn't sound like he went through a rep, but I can't say for certain. For reference, I ordered on 04/27/21. Oh, and I did already have a VIN issued (on 04/29/21.)
I think a lot of it has to do with how willing the dealer is to advocate on your behalf. Thanks for the insight.

Switch22

Reaction score
Push your dealer. I added a pano roof 3 weeks in prior to D1
I pushed the notion of engaging the area rep yesterday. Was told they don't seem to have much of a relationship with reps at that level, as they don't seem to have the same coverage or engagement as the Jeep territory guys. Salesman said he would push his managers on my behalf. Will see what comes of it. My hopes aren't too high.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"D" is not certain just ask @Eighty
Yeah, my first Rebel order sat in D for a while, then reverted to another status (BA, I think). It took intervention by a factory rep to move it back into a buildable status.

Switch22

Reaction score
Yeah, my first Rebel order sat in D for a while, then reverted to another status (BA, I think). It took intervention by a factory rep to move it back into a buildable status.
Interesting. Will see if it ever makes it to scheduling. I half expect them to come back saying the book was already closed, and my order will turn into a 2023. At what price, who knows?

LA RAMS

Reaction score
Hi @nc_beagle - do you know the “dealer name” for Mark Dodge. I am trying to track my order on the RAM website that was put in on Oct 11 for a 2023 RAM.

Trying to figure out if I can still add the inverter into my build as well as the factory running boards. The dealer said it’ll take about a week or two to hear back from factory and just curious where I order stands one week later and the likely hood of factory honoring my request to add those options.

Just worried more about the inverter option and not sure if it’s part of the main wiring harness if that was already made. Look forward to hear back.

Ryan

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi @nc_beagle - do you know the “dealer name” for Mark Dodge. I am trying to track my order on the RAM website that was put in on Oct 11 for a 2023 RAM.

Trying to figure out if I can still add the inverter into my build as well as the factory running boards. The dealer said it’ll take about a week or two to hear back from factory and just curious where I order stands one week later and the likely hood of factory honoring my request to add those options.

Just worried more about the inverter option and not sure if it’s part of the main wiring harness if that was already made. Look forward to hear back.

Ryan
Shouldn't be an issue, they haven't started the 2023 builds yet

Users who are viewing this thread