5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change oil or wait?

AlbertaClipper

Reaction score
Hoping I don't start a war, but I have a legit question I'm slightly torn over.

It seems like the general consensus is to be a little more frequent with oil changes on the Hemi 5.7L from what I've read.

I currently have just under 5000 miles on the current oil, relatively easy miles, but probably 100 of them towing around 4000lbs. I will be taking a trip (can I put gas on layaway?) that will total probably just over 1000 miles, towing about 3500lbs with 3 people and gear, mainly flat terrain (some mild rolling hills in there).

I'm inclined to change it after the road trip. Good idea, or no?

I use Valvoline FS HM 5w-20, if it matters to anyone's opinion.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Changing the oil is never a bad idea. I personally go by the oil life monitor which does take into consideration your driving habits such as idle time, towing and such. If you're concerned then I would recommend changing it for your own piece of mind.

AlbertaClipper

Reaction score
Changing the oil is never a bad idea. I personally go by the oil life monitor which does take into consideration your driving habits such as idle time, towing and such. If you're concerned then I would recommend changing it for your own piece of mind.
Thanks, OLM is good, just under 50%. I'm not psychotic about oil changes, but again, the general consensus seems to be to lean towards more frequent changes.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

It seems like the general consensus is to be a little more frequent with oil changes on the Hemi 5.7L from what I've read.

I currently have just under 5000 miles on the current oil, relatively easy miles, but probably 100 of them towing around 4000lbs. I will be taking a trip (can I put gas on layaway?) that will total probably just over 1000 miles, towing about 3500lbs with 3 people and gear, mainly flat terrain (some mild rolling hills in there).

for you my2021 if it was me and still under warrantee just follow what the manual states

"Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), 12 months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers."
page 395

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I change mine every 5k just because. I'm not going broke doing an oil change. And it's easier to keep track of change intervals.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Thanks, OLM is good, just under 50%. I'm not psychotic about oil changes, but again, the general consensus seems to be to lean towards more frequent changes.
As you will certainly find out, everyone has their opinions on when you should change the oil and with what weight and brand. Are they all wrong or right? No they aren't. With todays modern oils I recommend changing it when you feel comfortable doing so

jkm312

Reaction score
I consider operating conditions, mileage and time of year. Is it diety looking on the stick? In your present circumstance I would change the oil before you go assuming you have had this oil thru the winter. It's full of cold starts, condensation, and excess fuel from cold starts/warm ups. All that degrades the oil somewhat. Your upcoming trip is going to work the truck al little harder than normal, so give it the advantage of fresh oil. It never ever hurts to change the oil, it can only help.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I change mine every 5k just because. I'm not going broke doing an oil change. And it's easier to keep track of change intervals.
I do the same, whether is gas or diesel engine.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Don’t sweat it. You’ll be fine. Change it when you get back.

U

User_3336

Oil is cheap. And manufacturer's always have some rebate going on.
Walmart sometimes runs Pennzoil and Mobil 1 for $22 in the 5qt jug.
Buy 2 and get $25 back! That is like $9.50 for 5 quarts (well, hemi uses 7), but still CHEAP!

Quint

Reaction score
I'm with most others. Change it somewhere between the 5k-10k mark depending on how anal you feel about it. I don't drive far in my daily life but tow my 17' boat or snowmobiles 500 miles roundtrip quite frequently up north. I usually change it somewhere around 7-8k miles. If I am anywhere close to that point and have a bigger trip coming up, I'd rather change it early so that my truck has clean oil for the trip. There's no point in changing it afterwards so that it has clean oil for getting groceries!

Users who are viewing this thread