5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cetane booster for anyone?

rorischak

Reaction score
In my Mahindra tractor I typically always use a lubricity additive to boost engine life and that is probably just something ingrained in me but I am wondering how many people use a product like Opti-lube for boosting Cetane but also adding lubricity?

The one I ordered here is $60 and treats 2,500 gallons. It can't hurt right?

tyresmoker

Reaction score
My last boat had twin Cummins diesels. I always used fuel treatment due to the harsh marine/salt water environment and the fact that a lot of fuel would sit for extended periods of time. If you are running/driving your truck on a regular basis and pushing fuel through the filters, any additives are more than likely unnecessary.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my Mahindra tractor I typically always use a lubricity additive to boost engine life and that is probably just something ingrained in me but I am wondering how many people use a product like Opti-lube for boosting Cetane but also adding lubricity?

The one I ordered here is $60 and treats 2,500 gallons. It can't hurt right?

it can not. i used the same product and had zero issues in my '15 ECO Diesel. i gave away 1/4 gallon when i traded the '15 for my '19 Hemi.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Id like to run some additive as well, not sure if its totally necessary on a diesel as this is my first diesel, but is there an additive that mopar approves of that wont give them a excuse to void my warranty?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
voiding the warranty doubtful, but not unheard of. i do not have my EcoDiesel owners manual but i do not remember any warnings as to your question, Gball.
there may be more to it by searching the web i pulled this from opti-lube's web site:

The Importance Of Cetane
Diesel engines will operate fine on any cetane rating between 40 to 55, but the higher the number, the shorter the ignition delay is, and the more complete and efficient the combustion cycle becomes. In our research we found that cetane numbers in ULSD fluctuate between 40 to 45. And coinciding with what we've seen, with inconsistencies in cetane ratings at the pump, many diesel owners experience fluctuating fuel mileage.

During the refinement of ULSD, fuel is flooded with hydrogen to remove sulfur, but in the process also removes much of the fuel's lubrication properties, as well as cetane content. This leads to many things, but we're focusing on the fact that cetane numbers aren't consistent. This means each time you fill up at your local station, the quality of fuel is different. Knowing this, we contacted FPPF about using its 8+ Cetane Improver.

The Importance Of Lubricity
Another reason ULSD has been blamed for premature fuel system and engine wear is due to its low sulfur content. At 15 ppm (out of 1 million parts, just 15 can be sulfur), ULSD contains only a fraction of the sulfur concentration found in the previously used low-sulfur diesel (LSD), which was roughly 500 ppm. And since sulfur acts as a lubrication agent in diesel fuel, ultra-low sulfur content in ULSD is thought to be one of the main suspects in causing fuel-related problems in pre-2007 diesels, which were designed to run primarily on LSD.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Thanks for that tid bit of information.
I'm going to assume the opti-lube and FPPF are both good additives to use in diesels motors?
I had planned on trying this brand because of its ratings but it looks like I need to research some more on this subject.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Hot shots secret EDT is what is use , good stuff.
I just ordered some last night, the reviews seem good, hopefully I can squeeze a few mpg out of it.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Hot shots secret EDT from my research online seemed the best product. When I ran it in my truck the first time, I thought it was just psychological - but the truck actually returned better MPGs on the EVIC. I think it certainly makes it run smoother too.

Now first world problems - just dont know where to keep the funnel - I keep a bottle of EDT in under the floor storage bin behind drivers side, but dont want to contaminate the bin with dirty funnel. Ideally in the bed would be a good place - but I dont have bed divider or storage net etc.

For now I use papertowels at the station while truck is filling up - and stick in the cab :(

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my Duramax I added Diesel Clean. Never had a problem, and traded it for my RAM at 245000mi.
Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost is a technologically advanced diesel engine performance improver that cleans injectors, boosts cetane and lubricates fuel injection components.

HST

Reaction score
I just wipe the funnel off with a paper towel and put it in a plastic zip lock bag in the floor storage area.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Hot shots secret EDT from my research online seemed the best product. When I ran it in my truck the first time, I thought it was just psychological - but the truck actually returned better MPGs on the EVIC. I think it certainly makes it run smoother too.

Now first world problems - just dont know where to keep the funnel - I keep a bottle of EDT in under the floor storage bin behind drivers side, but dont want to contaminate the bin with dirty funnel. Ideally in the bed would be a good place - but I dont have bed divider or storage net etc.

For now I use papertowels at the station while truck is filling up - and stick in the cab :(
I use a gallon size freezer bag to hold the additive bottle, funnel, shop towel and disposable gloves. I keep mine in the rambox on the fuel filler side. The in-floor storage would work too with the freezer bag.

AbnerMality

Reaction score

Gallon Ziploc freezer bag with several paper towels in bottom to soak up drips would be a simple, quick, and cheap storage solution. That's what I have in my saddle bag on my Harley and it's served me well.

greggsmith21

Reaction score
Hot shots secret EDT is what is use , good stuff.
I checked with some folks and same result, that HotShots Everyday Treatment was a good one to use. Just started today with it, but haven't driven much with it in.

hunter1234

Reaction score
I use opti-lube and the last time I bough it they provided a nice 6 bottle case that contained 6 full bottles (I believe about 8-10 ounces). Each bottle is enough for a fill on my truck and I like it for the fuel stabilization in cold weather. I buy the gallon with the pump and just fill the smaller bottles. During the summer I will occasionally fill a bottle with hot shot, I buy the bigger hotshot bottle and fill the small bottles. The box has an o-ring and I can keep the funnel that attaches to the bottles in it - just wipe it down, put the cap on the empty bottle and put them in the box. Keeps the mess and smell all contained and I have the right mount of additive for each full tank.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that tid bit of information.
I'm going to assume the opti-lube and FPPF are both good additives to use in diesels motors?
I had planned on trying this brand because of its ratings but it looks like I need to research some more on this subject.
seems spendy you can get the optilube with a pump and two small bottles for 71 bucks . treats alot more fuel

hunter1234

Reaction score
I did a bit of research and found hot shot and Opti-lube were top rated. Hot shot in the summer works great and it seems (could be phycological) that I get a little more boost from it so I occasionally will add it. I do like Opi-lube year around for lubrication and most of the winter for the anti-gel aspect. We usually switch to winter blend at the pumps in October and stay that way through March/April and 30 below zero days are not unusual in winter. As such the opti-lube XP has kept the fuel flowing and when I can plan it I have a bottle of the Opti-lube winter versus the XP to add for when the forecast calls for greater than 10 below. Could be overkill but I prefer not to have the fuel gel in the middle of no-where at that temperature. The box is a little spendy for the first time but I usually go through 2 gallons of Opti-lube a year do to all the driving I do and all I buy now is the gallon. I like the fact that the box is meant for 6 bottles and with the o-ring does not put a smell in my truck as the additive does stink. I also have six fills in the box as some trips I'll use three before I get back to refill the bottles.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I also use hot shot EDT. And I chuckle because I also use a 1 gallon freezer bag to hold the bottles in the rear door pocket. At Walmart you can get the small Lucas fuel treatment bottles for four dollars. They have a long neck it worked perfectly for pouring in without making a mess. I bought two of those and used them. With a funnel I fill them back up with a proper dosage of hot shot EDT. I get the Hot shot EDT fuel treatment at AutoZone. You can get a bigger bottle of it that does not have the measuring cup on top at loves truck stops. I use the points from buying diesel for my semi truck to buy loves DEF and hot shot EDT for my eco-diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread