5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceratec (not an oil thread)

WW2

Reaction score
Has anyone used or considered using Liquid Moly Ceratec in their engine oil ? I know "snake oil" additives are generally a thing of the past but this stuff seems to be the real deal. The ford 5.0 V8 guys swear by it. With the lifter/cam wear issues on the Hemi, I wonder if it could be beneficial.

TTU14

Reaction score
I’m also interested. My friend with a B58 BMW put it in last oil change it quieted down noticeably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I always worry about what the blowby will do to the oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Many years ago when Slick50 was all the rage, I sent them a letter (This is pre-internet days, no such thing as email) asking if the teflon would coat the catalyst. They replied by sending me a big envelope full of glossy brochures but never answered the one question I had.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I remember reading an article some time ago that said your oil filter will trap just about all products due to their micron size being larger than that of the filter. Personally, I've never put anything in an engine or gas tank except Marvel Mystery Oil....Yeah, I'm very old school.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Had a friend rave about the stuff. I figured it was snake oil, but I did some research and decided to give it a try. I put it in 3 different cars and noticed the engines were quieter. Takes a few miles before you notice.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I have never used any additives, not saying their bad just haven't used them.
I wouldn't want to give Ram any reason to void my lifetime warranty.
Tom

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Im not sure, possible oil sample?
Tom
You would have to have a lubrication related failure along with Ram(Dealer) suspecting dumbassery before anything like that would happen. I have the stuff in 4 different engines for about a year now. Nothing bad has happened.

Snekpete

Reaction score
The older additives, for example Marvel Mystery Oil and Sea Foam do nothing. The solvents in them are weak, added in minuscule amounts, and being volatile flash off from the oil as soon as the engine gets hot.

Marvel Mystery oil is a 1923 mixture that according to the manufacturer contains mineral oil and tiny (less than 1%) amounts of diclorobenzene and tricresyl phosphate, i.e., it’s mineral oil. An NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) analysis found that it contained 74% mineral oil, 25% white spirits (an extremely weak solvent), and 1% lard. Lard?!

Sea Foam amusingly uses the marketing slogan “Not A Chemical!” (Guess they do not employ chemists or anyone with an education.) Sea Foam is a crude mixture of 60% kerosene, 25% naptha (a weak solvent previously used for dry cleaning), and 15% isopropyl alcohol. What you pour into your engine is essentially lamp oil mixed with dry cleaning solvent and rubbing alcohol. The two volatile solvents flash off and you are left with some kerosene in your engine diluting your Mobil-1.

OK, these and all other of the older motor treatments cannot possibly do any good. But, at least if used in small quantities, they cannot do much harm either.

All engine oil additive companies spend a great deal of money on marketing. For most (all?) of these companies their marketing budget far exceeds their R&D budget. Slick-50 claimed in its advertising that its PTFE formulation would coat the moving metal parts in a car’s engine and reduce wear and extend the engine’s lifetime.

From a knowledgeable Quora post.

Ceramic has taken over from tactical and mil-spec as the new go to advertising term. It is supposedly great in polishes, waxes, and now engine oil? Ceramic is essentially glass, it makes a great stove top but I would not put it in my engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Putting any additive in your oil changes the viscosity of the oil. Without doing oil analysis, you will never know if it does any good. A lot of people want it to do something and will "hear" or "feel" a difference that isn't really there. But their mind wants it to be, so that's what they experience.

As for Seafoam or MMO, I will never add them to my oil. As mentioned they are both mild solventsz which means they will reduce the lubricity of the oil reducing it's effectiveness. I do use Seafoam as a combustion chamber cleaner being sucking in through intake manifold, and use MMO in the fuel of my 1966 Poly engine with mechanical fuel pump

WW2

Reaction score
The older additives, for example Marvel Mystery Oil and Sea Foam do nothing. The solvents in them are weak, added in minuscule amounts, and being volatile flash off from the oil as soon as the engine gets hot.

Marvel Mystery oil is a 1923 mixture that according to the manufacturer contains mineral oil and tiny (less than 1%) amounts of diclorobenzene and tricresyl phosphate, i.e., it’s mineral oil. An NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) analysis found that it contained 74% mineral oil, 25% white spirits (an extremely weak solvent), and 1% lard. Lard?!

Sea Foam amusingly uses the marketing slogan “Not A Chemical!” (Guess they do not employ chemists or anyone with an education.) Sea Foam is a crude mixture of 60% kerosene, 25% naptha (a weak solvent previously used for dry cleaning), and 15% isopropyl alcohol. What you pour into your engine is essentially lamp oil mixed with dry cleaning solvent and rubbing alcohol. The two volatile solvents flash off and you are left with some kerosene in your engine diluting your Mobil-1.

OK, these and all other of the older motor treatments cannot possibly do any good. But, at least if used in small quantities, they cannot do much harm either.

All engine oil additive companies spend a great deal of money on marketing. For most (all?) of these companies their marketing budget far exceeds their R&D budget. Slick-50 claimed in its advertising that its PTFE formulation would coat the moving metal parts in a car’s engine and reduce wear and extend the engine’s lifetime.

From a knowledgeable Quora post.

Ceramic has taken over from tactical and mil-spec as the new go to advertising term. It is supposedly great in polishes, waxes, and now engine oil? Ceramic is essentially glass, it makes a great stove top but I would not put it in my engine.
That's some excellent information that you have provided.....all makes sense...However, Ceratec appears to be a different animal. Its mostly molybdenum (I think), which is an additive alot of oils already contain...The coyote V8 guys swear by it and say it will eliminate the low end tick that many encounter with the Ford 5.0...I was just wondering if something like this would be beneficial in the Hemi with its cam/rocker issues.. just a thought

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you're going to use an additive, LubeGard Bio/Tech is your best bet. It is ester based with a bunch of antiwear additives and does not contain any solids

Users who are viewing this thread