5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic Windshield Tint - Any interference with interior devices?

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Hello,

If you have ceramic tint on your windshield, have you experienced any performance with other devices in your truck? Radar detector or dash specifically? If so what tint do you have?

Thanks.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ceramic film blocks almost all infrared. Not sure what stock devices might be affected by that, but I'm about to install a Comma device in my truck and I'm about 90% sure that blocking infrared would be a problem for the comma. Just a guess that it would mess with the camera/sensor for Adaptive Cruise Control, if you have that.

I had ceramic film on my last truck and plan to get it on my new truck. But, not on the windshield. With ceramic film on all the other glass, my last truck stayed cool ENOUGH that I never missed having it on my windshield. I'm already noticing how much hotter the new truck is inside.

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Ceramic film blocks almost all infrared. Not sure what stock devices might be affected by that, but I'm about to install a Comma device in my truck and I'm about 90% sure that blocking infrared would be a problem for the comma. Just a guess that it would mess with the camera/sensor for Adaptive Cruise Control, if you have that.

I had ceramic film on my last truck and plan to get it on my new truck. But, not on the windshield. With ceramic film on all the other glass, my last truck stayed cool ENOUGH that I never missed having it on my windshield. I'm already noticing how much hotter the new truck is inside.
Yeah, looking at ceramic on my sides and pano sunroof. I was seeing other input from others about the windshield. I'm in Colorado, so it doesn't get too terrible hot here usually but the sun is more intense.

sessman

Reaction score
Check out 3m Crystalline for the windshield. That's what I just got yesterday (CR70) looks amazing.
Yeah, looking at ceramic on my sides and pano sunroof. I was seeing other input from others about the windshield. I'm in Colorado, so it doesn't get too terrible hot here usually but the sun is more intense.

Carlos.33193

Reaction score
I have ceramic everywhere (sunroof, back, sides, windshield) and I don't have any issues with anything. I also have a comma 3 and no issues with that. Becareful with the comma 3 on the windshield, the heat caused the adhesive to rip off and take a piece of my tint with it. I am now mounting it on the mirror using a 3d print they have on the discord channel.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my windshield the tint piece they used has a cutout for the mirror, so anything housed in there, like the rain sensor and ACC camera, wouldn't be affected. It does not affect the video quality on my dash cam either, but I don't use anything that's solely IR.

It's a noticeable difference if the windshield has ceramic tint. I got mine replaced after it cracked and the week I went without the tint in 100+ temps was a big contrast.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The old metallic based window tint was a potential signal blocker. I've heard the ceramic does NOT block signals at all.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had ceramic on my '19 and really liked it. But, I just read up on 3M Crystalline (thanks to @sessman).

It appears to be newer and better than the 3M ceramic. I think I will get the Crystalline. Maybe even get the clear (clearest, anyway) version of it for the windshield.

Dyeelitt

Reaction score
I’m in Southern California and I had my windows tinted with Ceramic. The shop I went to in Reno, wouldn’t do the windshield because of the infamous electrical issue. Anyone in SoCal or Reno know of a good place to get the windshield tinted with Ceramic? I’m on the older side and don’t want it dark, just keep the UV rays out. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread