5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic window tint worth it?

Grouper

Reaction score
...I had the shop put a clear ceramic on the windshield and it made a noticeable difference. I do admit theres a certain “clouding” or something which isn’t as “crisp” to look out of however it‘s such a big piece of glass that the heat gain w/o ceramic was huge.

I am in FL and have never had a windshield tinted but I'm intrigued by the Air 80 clear tint, especially with all of the comments about the DT's less than stellar AC performance.

I would never do any kind of darkened tint on the windshield. I personally don't think it's safe for night driving, especially for aging eyes.

But the clouding and crispness comment above gives me pause. I think it would drive me nuts if the view through the windshield was anything less than sharp, especially at night with oncoming headlights.

Also, I have an annual sticker that has to be windshield mounted on the inside of the glass. I'm not sure how I'd address that if the windscreen were tinted?

Last edited:

BoudinBall

Reaction score
Ceramic is absolutely worth it. I’ve had it in every vehicle and it makes a huge difference.

Nsm42

Reaction score
Also did XPEL XR plus all around, 70% windshield and front windows and 35% on the back, paid about $600. I’ve got the black leather interior and with outside AZ/CA temps upwards of 118 this summer I can say it was worth it. The seats were never uncomfortable to sit on by any means.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep paid around $650 for ceramic that included removing the bs legal light tint the dealer throws on the truck for the lot. Windshield done in 70% for the uv protection and help with headlight glare. 15% up front and a light I think 30% in the back to match the fronts. Worth every penny keeps the heat down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Burner1352

Reaction score
I paid 160 for my 2 front doors to get done, and love it. Everyone who asks me about it I will tell them about it and send them to the guy who did mine.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I'll probably hold off until next summer but I was quoted $160 for front two windows. Seems everyone recommends it so might do all the windows, pano and windshield.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I was still in Phoenix I’d have probably lightly ceramic tinted the windshield as opposed to going just clear. The heat/UV there, particularly with a black leather interior, would be rough. (Especially considering the ac blend door problem.). Here in NC its more of a novelty, peeps go all blacked out and don’t really need it. Aging eyes don't do well with such a dark windshield but seems to be “trendy”.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$650 cdn, lifetime warranty
All ceramic
35% all around, including sunroof, 70% windshield

Didn’t want the dark look as much as I wanted the benefits of ceramic

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll probably hold off until next summer but I was quoted $160 for front two windows. Seems everyone recommends it so might do all the windows, pano and windshield.
I paid about $500 for fronts, pano roof, and windshield with lifetime warranty. Worth it 100%. I immediately felt the heat difference while driving when the sun was shining through the sunroof and/or windshield. I eventually may do the back windows with 80% so it doesn't affect visibility just to have everything covered.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am in FL and have never had a windshield tinted but I'm intrigued by the Air 80 clear tint, especially with all of the comments about the DT's less than stellar AC performance.

I would never do any kind of darkened tint on the windshield. I personally don't think it's safe for night driving, especially for aging eyes.

But the clouding and crispness comment above gives me pause. I think it would drive me nuts if the view through the windshield was anything less than sharp, especially at night with oncoming headlights.

Also, I have an annual sticker that has to be windshield mounted on the inside of the glass. I'm not sure how I'd address that if the windscreen were tinted?
Mine is a bit hazy, I’m always thinking it needs to be wiped but it makes no difference.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The only way I can tell my windshield is tinted is if I have my polarized sun glasses on. Then I get the typical rainbow effect when looking through it. Other than that it's clear as day. I don't notice any haziness to it.

Grouper

Reaction score
The only way I can tell my windshield is tinted is if I have my polarized sun glasses on. Then I get the typical rainbow effect when looking through it. Other than that it's clear as day. I don't notice any haziness to it.
No haloing or other negative attributes at night from on-coming headlights or street lights?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No haloing or other negative attributes at night from on-coming headlights or street lights?
Unfortunately I already have slight haloing due to LASIK surgery, but I did not notice an increase. Had the LASIK for several years before the tint.

Scmil

Reaction score

I have Air 80 on my 4 Series BMW and an appointment for it on my truck. With the BMW ceramic tinted all the way around (black on black) it made a huge difference. I have a window sticker for my inspection as well and it still works just like it would without tint.

Grouper

Reaction score
I have a window sticker for my inspection as well and it still works just like it would without tint.
You're able to adhere and remove/replace the decal without damaging the tint?

Scmil

Reaction score
You're able to adhere and remove/replace the decal without damaging the tint?
Yes, my inspection sticker is that plastic/vinyl type of sticker though. There isn't any real adhesive.

Grouper

Reaction score
Yes, my inspection sticker is that plastic/vinyl type of sticker though. There isn't any real adhesive.
Okay. The sticker I'm issued requires using a razor blade to remove. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't release from the tint without significant damage to the film.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay. The sticker I'm issued requires using a razor blade to remove. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't release from the tint without significant damage to the film.
Don't know if you'll be able to do this, but in college I had parking stickers like that. Supposed to be for 1 vehicle only. I took some clear packing tape and carefully laid the sticker onto it sticky side to sticky side (no bubbles). Then I took more packing tape and laid it across the back with just a couple mm sticking off the edges to provide some adhesion to the window. That way, when I needed to swap vehicles with a family member I could swap my sticker too. If the packing tape wore out I'd just cut the overhanging edges off and reapply another piece.

Grouper

Reaction score
Don't know if you'll be able to do this, but in college I had parking stickers like that. Supposed to be for 1 vehicle only. I took some clear packing tape and carefully laid the sticker onto it sticky side to sticky side (no bubbles). Then I took more packing tape and laid it across the back with just a couple mm sticking off the edges to provide some adhesion to the window. That way, when I needed to swap vehicles with a family member I could swap my sticker too. If the packing tape wore out I'd just cut the overhanging edges off and reapply another piece.
Unfortunately, the HOA Nazis will not issue the sticker without standing there to see it applied to the windscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread