5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic Window Tint question

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on what I'm reading, and living in NC, I'm going to add ceramic window tint to my truck when it gets here.

I'll have a pro do the install.

Here's my question: for the side window film, is there a need to modify the window seals? Will the film get scratched when I put the windows up and down?

I've heard that some installations require a felt strip to replace the interior seal? Or, that they just cut the flexible rubber and leave a gap...that allows increased road noise.

Thanks,
Ken

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe you need to do anything.

KCViper

Reaction score
A competent installer should not have to modify (cut) any trim pieces!! Just got my truck and had ceramic tint installed on the fronts.....no issues.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had ceramic on two of my vehicles, it should not scratch at all if the person doing it is a professional. Expect to pay anywhere from $400-800 for a full ceramic tint tho. But it’s much nicer than normal dyed film.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
A competent installer should not have to modify (cut) any trim pieces!! Just got my truck and had ceramic tint installed on the fronts.....no issues.
^^^ This ^^^
I have tint done on all my vehicles (my 5th gen included). Never had to have any modifications done to the seals (you shouldn't have to).

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Same, no issues, The tint will actually go under the rubber trim that "rubs" against the glass so it cant get hung up or peel back when you open/close the window.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for all the great info! I'm now planning on full ceramic. Just have to figure out what tints to use on rear/sides/and windshield.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Based on what I'm reading, and living in NC, I'm going to add ceramic window tint to my truck when it gets here.

I'll have a pro do the install.

Here's my question: for the side window film, is there a need to modify the window seals? Will the film get scratched when I put the windows up and down?

I've heard that some installations require a felt strip to replace the interior seal? Or, that they just cut the flexible rubber and leave a gap...that allows increased road noise.

Thanks,
Ken
Could you tell me what is the advantage of ceramic tint vs standard window tint?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you tell me what is the advantage of ceramic tint vs standard window tint?
It filters IR.

So, you can have whatever tint (visual spectrum) you want (or are allowed by law) but NOT have the heat from the sun baking the interior. This will lead to longer lasting interior, more comfortable interior, less load on the AC in the summer.

Another benefit is that, unlike metallic films, ceramic will not affect electric signals.

mtehonica

Reaction score
I'm in NC as well - I've used Sun Stoppers for a half dozen vehicles and they always do a great job. They did my '19 1500 and had no issues for the 2.5 yrs I had it. They are doing my '21 1500 tomorrow. No need for modification to window seals or anything.

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread