5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ceramic tints

z28oc91

Reaction score
silly question but this is the first time I will have aftermarket tints installed on any vehicle. I want to get my front windows tinted to match the rear. If I am going to ceramic coat my vehicle (adams graphene ceramic kit) are ceramic tints necessary? I live in the midwest so it doesn't get crazy hot but the ceramic should block out UV/IR rays. What are your opinions.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the first vehicle I've had ceramic tint on. 15% front windows, 80% windshield, 35% pano roof. It made an IMMEDIATE difference driving home during the summer. This truck has a lot of windows, and you can tell the difference just with the temperature difference of the sun hitting your skin while driving. Tint and exterior coating on the vehicles are completely different, so it's not "necessary" to get ceramic tint if you ceramic coat your paint. The tint goes on the inside.

Bottom line, I'll probably get 80% on the rear windows to completely ceramic tint the truck. Best money I've spent so far on it.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ceramic coating for your paint is different than what would be going on your windows. With Ceramic Tint your still getting a film put on the windows. I would still get the ceramic tint film put on the windows.

z28oc91

Reaction score
This is the first vehicle I've had ceramic tint on. 15% front windows, 80% windshield, 35% pano roof. It made an IMMEDIATE difference driving home during the summer. This truck has a lot of windows, and you can tell the difference just with the temperature difference of the sun hitting your skin while driving. Tint and exterior coating on the vehicles are completely different, so it's not "necessary" to get ceramic tint if you ceramic coat your paint. The tint goes on the inside.

Bottom line, I'll probably get 80% on the rear windows to completely ceramic tint the truck. Best money I've spent so far on it.
I may be reading this wrong, so you are saying it is not necessary to get ceramic tints if I plan on ceramic coating the truck?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may be reading this wrong, so you are saying it is not necessary to get ceramic tints if I plan on ceramic coating the truck?
That's right. Ceramic tint and regular tint are applied exactly the same way (inside of the vehicle). The only difference is ceramic provides higher UV protection and thermal insulation over regular tint.

Ceramic coating for your paint is just that. A paint protectant. Ceramic tint is forever, ceramic coating has to be reapplied eventually.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The two are 1000% independent of one another. Ceramic tint is high end window film that rejects heat very well. Ceramic paint protection is a way to slightly protect the paint and make water & dirt not stick to the paint. They have nothing to do with each other. Basically in the industry “ceramic” has become more or less a marketing term that people associate with being high-end. Hope this helps!

KCViper

Reaction score
Agree 100% with what the other have said. Would also add, that in very hot climates (like Texas where I live) it could be very beneficial to get the back three windows ceramic tinted as well if you are doing the front two. The back three are factory tinted, but will not have the UV/IR rating of a ceramic tinting. To keep from going any darker on the rear glass, you can use a 70% to add UV/IR protection without adding too much extra darkness. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread