5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic or polymer once a year??

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Looking for opinions from the hive mind here.

Given the $1500 up front cost of ceramic geniq CSL 3yr plus $300 a year maintenance visit, I’m torn between polymer once (or even twice a year) or ceramic. If I had a dark color, it wouldn’t be a second thought.

Polymer and paint correction once a year (or maybe twice). Lasts 6mo to 1yr

Thoughts on one over the other?

Tri coat Pearl white 2021, parked outside 24/7.
Chicago based.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ceramic and be done. Why not do it yourself, I did mine over 2 days
Carpro UK 3.0 is about $100 and your truck is white so why even bother with paint correction?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ceramic and done.

If you don't mind doing it every year or couple years (or whatever interval it states, depending on the brand name), do it yourself.

If you want it to last 4+ years, thats where the "professional grade" stuff comes into play. Usually recommended to have pros do that stuff, someone whose done it a few times. Thats when costs go over $1k usually, or close to it. Mine has a 7 year warranty, no required wash intervals (although I do wash it regularly, of course) or maintenance visits. The costs should include minor paint correction, if needed, built right in (not extra), for that amount of money.

If someone is offering you a $1500 ceramic coating with only a 3 year guarantee/warranty, and required maintenance visits/washes through them that you also have to pay for, I'd walk away. In most areas, thats a rip off.

My two cents.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Ceramic and done.

If you don't mind doing it every year or couple years (or whatever interval it states, depending on the brand name), do it yourself.

If you want it to last 4+ years, thats where the "professional grade" stuff comes into play. Usually recommended to have pros do that stuff, someone whose done it a few times. Thats when costs go over $1k usually, or close to it. Mine has a 7 year warranty, no required wash intervals (although I do wash it regularly, of course) or maintenance visits. The costs should include minor paint correction, if needed, built right in (not extra), for that amount of money.

If someone is offering you a $1500 ceramic coating with only a 3 year guarantee/warranty, and required maintenance visits/washes through them that you also have to pay for, I'd walk away. In most areas, thats a rip off.

My two cents.

That’s what I’m struggling with. The cost for such a short period of time.

I may just do it myself if I can find a garage to do it in.

jth877

Reaction score
Ceramic is ok. I'm not totally sold on it. While it performs well over a long period of time, it won't always feel or look good. The proper prep is crazy.

If you want it over with, daily drive the vehicle and occasionally wash, ceramic is for you. But if you have that kind of mentality you won't put on a high quality ceramic yourself. It's like the people who would benefit from it the most don't really care and the people who really are anal don't need it.

High quality sealants/sio2 infused sealants can last almost a year with proper washing and don't need such a sterile surface to bond to. There are some 6mo to 1 year spray ceramics that might be for you. Wolfgang has a thicker spray coating that I'm trying now.

Users who are viewing this thread