5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic or no?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on your new truck , I’m not sure about US pricing but up here it ranges from $1500 - $3000 depending on how much prep they need to do .

JoeyGster

Reaction score
Very nice rig man. For the money I would go with a PPF film over Ceramic coating....something like Xpel Ultra.

I've been experimenting over the years with both options and came to the conclusion that I prefer the protection offered by the PPF over a ceramic coating any day.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ceramic coating and expel do too different jobs. Expel is primarily protection from rock chips and can be ceramic coated, ceramic coat is a gloss enhancement semi permanent seal and does nothing for rock chips nor does expel do anything for paint gloss/shine. On Black, I'd paint correct then ceramic coat then expel the front and areas behind the tires then ceramic coat the film.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ceramic coating and expel do too different jobs. Expel is primarily protection from rock chips and can be ceramic coated, ceramic coat is a gloss enhancement semi permanent seal and does nothing for rock chips nor does expel do anything for paint gloss/shine. On Black, I'd paint correct then ceramic coat then expel the front and areas behind the tires then ceramic coat the film.
You can’t ceramic coat under PPF...it won’t adhere properly. But I agree with all of your other points, and I had mine ceramic coated after PPF.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been just doing DIY ceramic spray treatments and getting great results. I should have put ppf on my fender flares but they have taken too much of a beating that it's too late.

Arth

Reaction score
Well I learned afterwards and had my entire truck Ceramic coated with the 5 year warranty for 1300. I wish I had gotten PPF on the hood mirrors and other rock chip zones before hand. The rest of the truck sure looks great though.

Users who are viewing this thread