5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic coating

Buih21

Reaction score
Going to be doing a ceramic coat for the limited this weekend. Do you guys apply csl and exo onto chrome and lights?

Brownmathteacher

Reaction score
I had my vehicle coated by a professional shop in March 2021. I was tired of waxing the vehicle at 69 years old. My fellow workers had their vehicles ceramic professionally in the past. I decided to make that move after washing and waxing about four hours one Saturday. I have been waiting for an email (at least one week) from the shop that coated my Ram. I cannot find the brochure of the products used by the shop. One I was asked which wax did I used on my Ram. The people in my neighborhood like the sheen on the vehicle. I have a neighbor who lives at least 50 yards down the street. He can see my vehicle from his home and comments on its good looks. The wheels and most of the chrome was coated also. The chrome Ram running boards were not coated. The front windshield was coated. I attached a few pictures that were taken about 9:00 AM in the morning May 14, 2021. They were taken with canon camera. I can see the sheen in the pictures before I download them from a file on my desktop. When it rains the vehicle looks like it has been waxed. The vehicle definitely looks great or better depending on the weather. The brighter the sun the better the sheen coming off the vehicle. It also looks good in overcast weather. I wash it once a week with Meguairs Ceramic car wash. I used my backpack blower to dry it off. I do enjoy watching the beads of water runoff on the sides and front of the vehicle. I noticed the beads on the top has gotten larger every wash. I washed it the first time about fourteen days after I picked it up from the shop to let it cure. I was told to let it cure for seven days. The beading seems to be getting better overall on the truck. I used a ladder to blow off the top, hood, and tonneau top since I am 67 inches tall. I have never had to use a drying cloth. I don't know if spider webs will appear with drying cloths. The vehicle will never go through a car wash. I have to take it to the shop once a year for ceramic coating maintenance according to my warranty. I am probably over doing it. I have to pull out my backpack blower, pressure washer, foam cannon, and ladder from my shed. I could probably skip a week or two of washing if I wanted too. I purchased Carpro EliXir as a quick detailer but I don't think I am going to use it at this time. I will get back to the Forum when I find out what products were used on my Ram. I will update the forum on my coating when I see something of concern to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0650.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 132

ben b

Reaction score
Wow! Looks great! Makes me motivated to look into ceramic coating when my white 1500 arrives.

Ramjack

Reaction score
What's the typical cost for ceramic coating on these trucks?

sep1006

Reaction score
I had my white Rebel done about a month ago, paid $750:

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
I ceramic coated my truck myself. It was a two day ordeal though. 1st I washed, clay barred & paint corrected. that was day one. I was beat after that.

The next day I detailed sprayed to remove any dust or pollen that had accumulated from the previous day & then used a a cleaner polish to remove any residue before applying the coating.

So far it's holding up pretty well. the ceramic gave it a glassy shine, is the best way I can describe it. Definitely stays cleaner longer (& I work on a construction site). I've washed it once since & water just sheeted off.

so far I'm happy with it. It was work, but in total I spent about $200 (I already had many of the products).

tgwill

Reaction score
What's the typical cost for ceramic coating on these trucks?
Depends who you use, but anywhere from $600-1500.

I have been insanely happy with the Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic spray. Put it on shortly after buying my Ram, and recently re-applied after 6 months. Water beads every time and it helps keep it clean. I'd rather spend $15 than 100% that. Check Youtube for some reviews of it vs other products from Meguiars and other brands.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Just be careful when you do it yourself, you have the matter of evenly applying as well as watching for high spots.

I did mine myself with the Adams Grpahene Kit and wasn’t too impressed afterwards. Made the paint darker/cloudier in some spots. The impressive thing is the water sheeting action and not having to use wipers in the rain because the waters just flies off. Plus drying It with the blower takes 20 mins.

Im having mine stripped and redone by a pro when it goes in for PPF in June.

I think the huge benefit of the ceramic is cutting down wash and dry time. Suds it up, wash it down and then blow dry. Maybe an hour and a half vs a day to two days to do a full detail. Can use the extra time for other activities.

Jason605

Reaction score
Depends who you use, but anywhere from $600-1500.

I have been insanely happy with the Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic spray. Put it on shortly after buying my Ram, and recently re-applied after 6 months. Water beads every time and it helps keep it clean. I'd rather spend $15 than 100% that. Check Youtube for some reviews of it vs other products from Meguiars and other brands.
Just applied my 2nd coat of the Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic spray on my Street Glide after waiting 24hrs for the 2nd. This stuff really enhances the gloss and shine and smells amazing. It is definitely a one section at a time product. I will use it on the BTS now that you say it still holds up after 6 months instead of paying $750 -1500 for ceramic.

OkDee

Reaction score
Just got my 2021 Diamond Black Crystal Ram 1500 done by a local shop. Kinda was pricey, but comes with a 7 year warranty. Not sure what that means and how to use it, but maybe it will never materialize. I am pretty slow to wash and clean my vehicles, so this is a first time ceramic coating for me. Will see how it does down the dirt roads and pastures, gravel roads and off beaten places I go. I was very pleased as to how the paint, chrome and wheels POP out now. I am pretty pleased at this point. Time, weather, bugs and Southern Texas humidity will test it for sure.

DaveLink

Reaction score
I've been doing my first cleaning and spray ceramic this weekend. Before I started spraying the ceramic wax (Griots 3 in 1), disappointed in the orange peel if the paint. Not really ready for $1500 investment in professional coating, but this would be awful in a color other than bright white.

Attachments

• 20210613_135335.jpg
    20210613_135335.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 53

BobK

Reaction score
Im doing the Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic spray today. Finished everything except the doors and roof. Might have to leave that part for another day. My back cant take all the work to wash, Dry (i have hard water), using an alcohol cleaning then the ceramic spray. Bought clay bar mit but does not seem necessary with a 8 month old vehicle. Its a lot of work still. Its not the same as the more expensive stuff but figured I would do another coating again before winter. Its just too expensive to have it done by a detailer.

bud007

Reaction score
BobK i know what you mean about the back :( i would be interested to see how you make out with the Turtle wax spray on a black truck , i hope you have good luck with it (y)

MBDC, thanks , i really like this truck and color a lot , and as i mentioned above , i would be curious to see how it works on a black truck , good luck

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
I had my Rebel (daily driven) coated by a shop who uses Opti-Coat with 5yr warranty.. The coating is amazing and really does work as if it just had a fresh coat of wax after every wash, but cleaning this truck is quiet a chore. The shop told me that I have to wash the truck every 2 weeks to maintain the warranty. Yea, that doesn't happen with work/kids/family and 2 other vehicles. Needless to say, I try to wash by hand when I can but I'm not sure how long I can keep going with hand washes. If I had to re-think this, I would have coated my Harley and just left the Ram alone ONLY because of the up keep. Just my .02..

Users who are viewing this thread