5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic Coating by the dealership

FloridaMan87

Reaction score
Howdy folks!
So, I've only had my truck like 3 weeks... I got it ceramic coated like 3 days after I bought it (done by the dealership).
My concern is that I got ripped off and they either did a miserable job or just washed it and didn't ceramic coat anything.
The product they used wasn't specified but I guess the ceramic coating and the interior has a warranty through "ECP Claims" ??

Has anyone else got this done by the dealer and been suspect about it?
Water does not bead up on the truck..... gets dirty fast.....

Is there any way to test and see if ceramic coating has actually been applied?

Thanks !

Gravity116

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn’t trust anything “detailing” related done at a dealership. I wouldn’t even let them wash my truck.

Ceramic coating done correctly is a fairly involved process (wash, paint decontamination, polish, coating, curing) so my bet is they threw on a spray ceramic sealant, unless they sub that work out.

That’s my hunch, but it could also just be dirty. You still have to wash a ceramic coated car and a dirty car won’t bead water regardless of the coating.

cervelo15

Reaction score
^^^also share the same sentiment. I heard a story from a friend of a friend that had it done as part of the sale...you know, when you go to the desk before financing and they try to sell you the extra tire coverage, key fob replacement, etc?

Anyways, the application left high/dark spots and they didnt even do the roof. They said you could see it every time it rained, the water beading on the roof was non-existent. Plus I have heard the stuff they use at dealerships is nowhere near the quality of a private detailer.

I have had mine done by a private detailer and they issue you a warranty card, as well as put the maintenance products for it in your hands. I have seen some even have a hologram sticker placed on the window documenting a coating was applied. The guy that did mine offered for me to come back and he'd coat the inside of my wheels if I took them off the vehicle. Yes, a little more expensive to go this route but it has saved me LOADS of time having to clean it. Cleaning it now takes 2 hours (from start to finish), but I'm a little more neurotic about it and probably will get faster at it. This versus spending several days washing, decon, polishing and coating.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is not my first anti-detailing post but I did want to share that snake-oil is not limited to dealerships. Ceramic Coatings are insanely cheap to manufacture and you can buy them white-label. Detailing tools have some cost but anyone with $2500 can go into business as a detailer.

I'm guessing ECP is probably a fine product. The issue is the art of detailing and the installer. I have worked with a guy in the past who can never have a car under 24 hours. He wants you to drop it off then he fusses over every square inch for over a day. Not sure how he makes money but watching him work is quite insane. He has staff now but I still have him do my cars for me.

He has stopped selling his services based on product because he doesn't have to. Ceramic Coating the surfaces after he's spent 12 man hours on it is just the finishing touch. Most brands are going to be fine.

Your issue is really with the labor performed by the dealer, not the ceramic coating itself.

Hydrophobic properties being non-existent should be the only red flag you need to show them. Buy a bottle of water and pour it on the roof of the truck. It'll be obvious they didn't apply the coating there.

Hoppy1075

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn’t trust anything “detailing” related done at a dealership. I wouldn’t even let them wash my truck.

Ceramic coating done correctly is a fairly involved process (wash, paint decontamination, polish, coating, curing) so my bet is they threw on a spray ceramic sealant, unless they sub that work out.

That’s my hunch, but it could also just be dirty. You still have to wash a ceramic coated car and a dirty car won’t bead water regardless of the coating.

Ditto on this one. I had the process done to a new BMW 235 and the detailer needed it for 2 days (plus front wrap). Properly done, the vehicle should be severely hydrophobic BUT it creates a sort of static that dust will cling to easy. Repeling water isn't the same as dirt/dust. One of the things I hated about the ceramic. Another downside - if you try to put a sealant or carnuba wax on it, the first rain will shed it off. Again, ceramic properly done will have that effect. Anything else is just dealer BS.

Griots has a spray on ceramic wax now that actually lasts for a few weeks, less than $20 a bottle (iirc - green stuff). Should have enough for over a year in one bottle, just as a cost comparison.

SacRebel

Reaction score
There's NO WAY a dealer applied a ceramic coating themselves if that's what they are claiming. Applying a ceramic coating takes proper training and supplies. Most likely if they did do it for you your truck was sent out to an auto detailer they contract with. Ask them specifically, who applied the ceramic coating.

FloridaMan87

Reaction score
There's NO WAY a dealer applied a ceramic coating themselves if that's what they are claiming. Applying a ceramic coating takes proper training and supplies. Most likely if they did do it for you your truck was sent out to an auto detailer they contract with. Ask them specifically, who applied the ceramic coating.

Yep. I even asked them if I could go back there and watch / ask questions and stuff and of course they said I can’t because it’s a liability for me to be in the back. ********.
It’s because they just took it back there, washed it, and gave it back to me.
Took about 2 hours total.
Looks like I was the sucker on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaMan87

Reaction score
Ditto on this one. I had the process done to a new BMW 235 and the detailer needed it for 2 days (plus front wrap). Properly done, the vehicle should be severely hydrophobic BUT it creates a sort of static that dust will cling to easy. Repeling water isn't the same as dirt/dust. One of the things I hated about the ceramic. Another downside - if you try to put a sealant or carnuba wax on it, the first rain will shed it off. Again, ceramic properly done will have that effect. Anything else is just dealer BS.

Griots has a spray on ceramic wax now that actually lasts for a few weeks, less than $20 a bottle (iirc - green stuff). Should have enough for over a year in one bottle, just as a cost comparison.

I will check out that Griots spray on stuff though.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread