5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic Coating Brands

jamorton

Reaction score
I understand that installer is important, but I’m curious if anyone has experience with multiple ceramic products and has an opinion on which is better. If so, why? The brands used by detailers in my area are IGL, Xpel, Opti-coat, and Gtechniq.

Thanks in advance.

Luigi_dfw

Reaction score
I can't speak to those brands specifically but I can tell you that the coatings from DPC are professional grade but not difficult to apply.

I've coated 6 vehicle now with either DPC T3, T6+ and most recently TMR. All easy enough for an amateur to use.

Willing to share my knowledge if you want to know more. DM me.

Cajun_

Reaction score
the general consensus about the best ceramic coating in the world is modesta from kamikaze. That being said are you looking for a cheap spray on or a pro coating or a really good DIY kit? Gyeon is about to come out with a line of DIY kits that can even be applied outdoors. Pan the organizer has a video on them. I wouldn't listen to the project farm video, he only covers things you can find at a store.

Cda3488

Reaction score
I understand that installer is important, but I’m curious if anyone has experience with multiple ceramic products and has an opinion on which is better. If so, why? The brands used by detailers in my area are IGL, Xpel, Opti-coat, and Gtechniq.

Thanks in advance.
I am a detailer and I personally use Gyeon Syncro Evo, and what I have to put on my own truck when it comes in is Kamakazi Zipang as the top coat and Kamakazi Miyabe as the base coat. It actually has semi self healing properties, the only one on the market that will do that. Gyeon is amazing for my customers.

Attachments

• BDF7A30D-0FF9-48DD-91A9-C967C732E860.jpeg
    BDF7A30D-0FF9-48DD-91A9-C967C732E860.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 30

Cda3488

Reaction score
the general consensus about the best ceramic coating in the world is modesta from kamikaze. That being said are you looking for a cheap spray on or a pro coating or a really good DIY kit? Gyeon is about to come out with a line of DIY kits that can even be applied outdoors. Pan the organizer has a video on them. I wouldn't listen to the project farm video, he only covers things you can find at a store.
Gyeon Evo coatings are out. You can get them on Car Supply Warehouse. The only place I can find for my customers. Everywhere else is back ordered.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went with Gtechniq this time so far so good. The best is subjective, it’s best to compare prices and warranty with whoever you plan to use to do it unless your doing it yourself. It’s like waxes your going to get a 100 different opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to get mine done with System X. If it's good enough for Boeing, it's good enough for me. Here's one example of their testing.

Attachments

• smi-boeing-testing.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 14

Cda3488

Reaction score
I decided to get mine done with System X. If it's good enough for Boeing, it's good enough for me. Here's one example of their testing.
Guess that’s good if you plan to Mount wings on your truck. Your coating is only as good as the paint correction/enhancement before the coating is applied. To me all the excess hipe means nothing. As long as you have at least a 9H hardness and 2 plus years longevity and extreme gloss, you should be good for a truck. Again if the majority of the coatings on the market are applied correctly with the proper paint correction, nobody will be able to tell the difference between what Boeing puts on their plans and what’s on your truck. But heck if you want to over pay for that sheet of paper go ahead but please use caution. That sheet of paper is not needed for your coating. Good luck and hope you enjoy your gloss.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guess that’s good if you plan to Mount wings on your truck. Your coating is only as good as the paint correction/enhancement before the coating is applied. To me all the excess hipe means nothing. As long as you have at least a 9H hardness and 2 plus years longevity and extreme gloss, you should be good for a truck. Again if the majority of the coatings on the market are applied correctly with the proper paint correction, nobody will be able to tell the difference between what Boeing puts on their plans and what’s on your truck. But heck if you want to over pay for that sheet of paper go ahead but please use caution. That sheet of paper is not needed for your coating. Good luck and hope you enjoy your gloss.
They didn’t put it on their planes but ok.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used Avalon King on my truck. I have no experience with it's longevity as I'm less than a month in, but my first wash/dry was considerably easier than before. Also, the bugs just hosed off the front of the truck pre wash.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They are just a hybrid wax that mainly protects against uv light. They don’t cure and harden like the other products discussed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cajun_

Reaction score
Don't discount the new Turtle Wax ceramic products
Yeah the hybrid solutions line from turtle wax is worth using but that's about it. And it's not an actual ceramic coating. Like 99% of all spray ceramic coatings they don't actually bond to the paint so they only last 3-4 months if you are lucky. But I do use their stuff on my families vehicles since I'm not going to invest the time nor money in coating their vehicles with something they won't bother maintaining correctly.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the hybrid solutions line from turtle wax is worth using but that's about it. And it's not an actual ceramic coating. Like 99% of all spray ceramic coatings they don't actually bond to the paint so they only last 3-4 months if you are lucky. But I do use their stuff on my families vehicles since I'm not going to invest the time nor money in coating their vehicles with something they won't bother maintaining correctly.
That sounds like a perfect use case for that.

Users who are viewing this thread