5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center Console Light Not Working

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally got the parts installed and everything is working as it should.
The tech found the wires were being chaffed on some sharp edges on the armrest hinge.
New armrest and new wiring fixed the issue.
My light and armrest USB port died recently. I believe I am having the same issue that you had with wire chaffing. The light would flicker and USB work while lifting the armrest but no power when it was down. Did your USB port go out as well?

CaliRebel

Reaction score
My light and armrest USB port died recently. I believe I am having the same issue that you had with wire chaffing. The light would flicker and USB work while lifting the armrest but no power when it was down. Did your USB port go out as well?
I'm not sure if it did or not, I almost never use that usb port. But it definitely sounds like you're having chaffing issues.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it did or not, I almost never use that usb port. But it definitely sounds like you're having chaffing issues.
The dealer replaced the lid when I first got the truck because the Limited logo was all crooked. I'm guessing a wire was pinched in the replacement process and it took a while to finally fail. I have an extended warranty that claims to cover this but I am really concerned about the dealer damaging my console...while replacing the harness. I can't decide whether I want to bother having them do it. Thank you for responding.

JJLANG

Reaction score
Yes, you need to remove the underside of the armrest and it will give you access to the light.
Not hard to do, took me a few minutes to look at it and figure out how it comes apart.
How were you able to remove the underside of the armrest? I'm having the same issue.

kscap

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part # for the wire going to the light that is getting pinched?

Users who are viewing this thread