5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CDT Ram Package Speakers

german88

Reaction score
Looks interesting but it’s hard to tell what your getting and no option for 2ohm vs 4ohm which is important to know based on what your replacing. Almost seems like it’s geared towards the older gen trucks? Also where does the passive filter come into play? Not enough info on the package…

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Looks interesting but it’s hard to tell what your getting and no option for 2ohm vs 4ohm which is important to know based on what your replacing. Almost seems like it’s geared towards the older gen trucks? Also where does the passive filter come into play? Not enough info on the package…

Agree and that’s what I’m trying to figure out. 6x9s no brainer, but want to keep the factory amp for now and the speaker output balanced in terms of ohms and sensitivity on the replacement speakers for doors and dash.

german88

Reaction score
Yep! I called them today to try and decipher the marketing language. The guy I spoke with didn’t have a clue about the two different systems offered in our trucks. I didn’t have time to dig deeper so I gave up before figuring it out. Might make sense to grab the 6x9’s and see how that improves things. The long thread here on faital, infinity, CDT, vs OE for the front stage doesn’t convince me there’s a huge difference unless you bypass the factory amp and go “all in”. I’d sooner live with it “as is” than go that route. Just not as big a priority as it used to be when I was younger. My last truck had an amazing custom install that I do miss dearly and I was really hoping the H/k would be close. No such luck…

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep! I called them today to try and decipher the marketing language. The guy I spoke with didn’t have a clue about the two different systems offered in our trucks. I didn’t have time to dig deeper so I gave up before figuring it out. Might make sense to grab the 6x9’s and see how that improves things. The long thread here on faital, infinity, CDT, vs OE for the front stage doesn’t convince me there’s a huge difference unless you bypass the factory amp and go “all in”. I’d sooner live with it “as is” than go that route. Just not as big a priority as it used to be when I was younger. My last truck had an amazing custom install that I do miss dearly and I was really hoping the H/k would be close. No such luck…
I remember talking to the guy there before I bought my front door speakers and was slightly disappointed in his responses also.

I think you’re taking the right approach by not touching your dash speakers. The alpine system needs the dash corners replaced to equal the sound of the stock H/K system, but I don’t think you’ll be happy if you change them out.

The front door speakers made the most difference for me. It really shifted the full soundstage forward and was enough for me to not replace the rear 6x9’s.

german88

Reaction score
I remember talking to the guy there before I bought my front door speakers and was slightly disappointed in his responses also.

I think you’re taking the right approach by not touching your dash speakers. The alpine system needs the dash corners replaced to equal the sound of the stock H/K system, but I don’t think you’ll be happy if you change them out.

The front door speakers made the most difference for me. It really shifted the full soundstage forward and was enough for me to not replace the rear 6x9’s.
You were right about the 6x9 door speakers making a big difference. Tonight I replaced all 4 with the CDT’s. Blown away at the difference. Completely happy with the whole system now.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
You were right about the 6x9 door speakers making a big difference. Tonight I replaced all 4 with the CDT’s. Blown away at the difference. Completely happy with the whole system now.

Which factory system do you have? H/K right? And which ohm did you go with?

Saints

Reaction score
Yes H/k and it’s 4ohm. I think the Alpine might be 2ohm.
I always liked CDT speakers. So you just replaced the door speakers and can tell a big difference. I may grab a set and just do the fronts. For $100 why not?

german88

Reaction score
Great call! I listened to mine after doing only the fronts and it’s 95% better at that point. Rears we’re not worth the effort but I bought two sets because they were so cheap. It also gave me a chance to sound deaden all 4 doors and tighten the bolts behind the door panel. Mine were all needing 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Saints

Reaction score
Great call! I listened to mine after doing only the fronts and it’s 95% better at that point. Rears we’re not worth the effort but I bought two sets because they were so cheap. It also gave me a chance to sound deaden all 4 doors and tighten the bolts behind the door panel. Mine were all needing 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
Yeah I wouldn’t mind throwing some sound deadener in there while I have to door panels off as I have some left from my last truck. Did you have to do any trimming or were they drop in and plug and play?

german88

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn’t mind throwing some sound deadener in there while I have to door panels off as I have some left from my last truck. Did you have to do any trimming or were they drop in and plug and play?
Zero trimming. Just added foam rubber gasket and dropped them in. CDT’s didn’t come with any. Like you I had several sheets of material from my last truck. It’s more for the harmonics in my mind. These trucks are so quiet inside. I didn’t go to crazy with it.

german88

Reaction score
Don’t forget to reverse the polarity back to being “in phase”. I cut my metra adapters and re-soldered the leads to achieve this.

Users who are viewing this thread