5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CCW storage - console lockable container?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been using that one for the past year and like it. Pretty sure the Mopar version is made by Tuffy.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use the Tuffy for this purpose as well. Works great for me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can get the Mopar one that comes standard in the Built to Serve edition trucks.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My 21 BTS came with a factory installed lockable safe. Thia one looks similar

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can also check out this thread:

dailyherold

Reaction score
I really want to get the compact FAS1 and see if I could get it to work in the center console...or somewhere else. Big fan of the simplex locks, mainly because of this guy on YouTube who shows how bad many lock implementations are.

Last edited:

Fcso227

Reaction score
You can also check out this thread:

This is what I have and it works great.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tuffy and moar are both made by Tuffy. Difference is the tuffy you use the key to open once unlocked the Mopar you use the built in handle.

rightushook

Reaction score
I really want to get the compact FAS1 and see if I could get it to work in the center console...or somewhere else. Big fan of the simplex locks, mainly because of this guy on YouTube who shows how bad many lock implementations are.

I have a safe with a simplex and its nice, its quick but doesnt require any fancy electronics etc to that can fail when you need it most. Id love to see a company make a vehicle safe with a simplex lock aswell

cjerman617

Reaction score

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
I have the Lock'erDown Extreme safe and it's great. With the electronic lock. That's what I'd recommend.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is what I use in my Silverado and it's almost the exact same thing.

I can fit a few rifles and pistols in there very easy but there is metal on the sides (bottom has carpet) so I would recommend putting a few towels in there if you ever load it up.

If it's just a pistol then any of those locking center consoles are probably fine but I prefer this. I put other supplies in there and lock it whenever I don't have guns in it anyways and stuff stays safe and secure and doesn't look like crap

Also could possibly use the in floor storage boxes in back? Throw a lock on them or get something like this?

I am curious why a locked glove box wouldn't be considered legal but a different lockbox would?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I use in my Silverado and it's almost the exact same thing.

I can fit a few rifles and pistols in there very easy but there is metal on the sides (bottom has carpet) so I would recommend putting a few towels in there if you ever load it up.

If it's just a pistol then any of those locking center consoles are probably fine but I prefer this. I put other supplies in there and lock it whenever I don't have guns in it anyways and stuff stays safe and secure and doesn't look like crap

Also could possibly use the in floor storage boxes in back? Throw a lock on them or get something like this?

I am curious why a locked glove box wouldn't be considered legal but a different lockbox would?
Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.
Interesting thanks for the info.

Looking around it looks like it's a grey area using any oem area even if it's locked.

I was thinking you could use these https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Under-Floor-Storage-Mopar/dp/B01F7NJ5EG#customerReviews for the rear underfloor storage but I think that would be considered a "utility" compartment.

Would a locked center console also be considered a utility compartment?

I'm glad i'm in an area that isn't that strict. I can transport firearms as long as they are unloaded/bolts removed and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread