5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CB radio

Davidbt

Reaction score
My wife and I will be taking a trip to Mississippi October 2nd pulling our travel trailer. I will be installing a TPMS for the trailer and a Fitmax dash cam. I was thinking of maybe a hand held cb radio with a magnetic roof mount. I have GMRS in my jeep and was thinking a portable radio could be used for both of my vehicles. I'm not new to CB's being an ex part-time truck driver, cell phones are only good for so much, but can't give you instant information like traffic jams and wrecks. Anyone still travel with a CB in their truck?

DeanM2

Reaction score
Best I can tell, there are only 2 groups that still use CB radio. The first is professional truckers; And 2nd are off-roaders (Jeepers); though they are moving to GMRS.

I would rather be stuck in traffic than listen to Truckers on a CB. :)

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Best I can tell, there are only 2 groups that still use CB radio. The first is professional truckers; And 2nd are off-roaders (Jeepers); though they are moving to GMRS.

Davidbt

Reaction score

The idea is sometimes you can get on the spot information to find out about traffic jams and possibly reroute if needed.

Quint

Reaction score
I grew up in the 70s, cruising down the roads in the back of my dad's conversion van with his CB set to channel 19. Every movie like Convoy, Smokey In The Bandit, or something else with CB talk was awesome.

I had one in my '85 F150 in the early 2000s but by then it was becoming obsolete in my mind. I gave it to a buddy rebuilding a CJ7 from the ground up. Map programs on your phone will tell you about upcoming traffic jams and automatically re-route you (and the rest of the world). IMO - I would just rely on modern technology, but I totally get the nostalgia of using a CB.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I have one in my truck along with a GMRS and recently drove about 5k miles. We used the GMRS for communication between us but I did find the CB useful on two occasions I think when there was a recent accident that google maps hadn't picked up on yet. Other than that it's mainly just a few guys that appear to transmit across the country all day long. GMRS is way more active.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I have one in my truck along with a GMRS and recently drove about 5k miles. We used the GMRS for communication between us but I did find the CB useful on two occasions I think when there was a recent accident that google maps hadn't picked up on yet. Other than that it's mainly just a few guys that appear to transmit across the country all day long. GMRS is way more active.
What channel GMRS were you using? Were there any trucks on GMRS? I run channel 19 with two HT's traveling with my sister's in laws.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
What channel GMRS were you using? Were there any trucks on GMRS? I run channel 19 with two HT's traveling with my sister's in laws.
Honestly I don't remember what channel we were on when we were traveling. I didn't hear any trucks on that channel just occasionally some local guys to different regions we were in (we drove from NY-CO-WY). Locally some guys have a GMRS network set up that currently covers about 200mi, it's pretty awesome.

Davidbt

Reaction score
Honestly I don't remember what channel we were on when we were traveling. I didn't hear any trucks on that channel just occasionally some local guys to different regions we were in (we drove from NY-CO-WY). Locally some guys have a GMRS network set up that currently covers about 200mi, it's pretty awesome.
I do have a GMRS license and haven't quite figured out the repeter part yet. I do plan on learning the repeter part eventually. I do watch notarubicon on YouTube and he suggests channel 19 for highway and 16 for trails. Around my area when I'm wheeling channel 16 can get a little traffic, as well as 19 heading north thru Phoenix.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I will be taking a trip to Mississippi October 2nd pulling our travel trailer. I will be installing a TPMS for the trailer and a Fitmax dash cam. I was thinking of maybe a hand held cb radio with a magnetic roof mount. I have GMRS in my jeep and was thinking a portable radio could be used for both of my vehicles. I'm not new to CB's being an ex part-time truck driver, cell phones are only good for so much, but can't give you instant information like traffic jams and wrecks. Anyone still travel with a CB in their truck?
You can get all that info from the Waze app. It is usually very current with traffic info, and police presence. Will reroute you with the quickest current route. I find it has quicker updates than google maps

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I do have a GMRS license and haven't quite figured out the repeter part yet. I do plan on learning the repeter part eventually. I do watch notarubicon on YouTube and he suggests channel 19 for highway and 16 for trails. Around my area when I'm wheeling channel 16 can get a little traffic, as well as 19 heading north thru Phoenix.
Nice, I saw that video as well. You can go to repeaterbook or there's another website out there (can't remember the name of it) that has some repeaters as well (if they're listed). I totally said that wrong last night too the network has a linear (E-W) range of about 200mi. I'm not entirely sure how far N-S it reaches but we've heard guys about 50mi north of my location and I believe I am 20ish miles north of one of the systems.

Davidbt

Reaction score
Nice, I saw that video as well. You can go to repeaterbook or there's another website out there (can't remember the name of it) that has some repeaters as well (if they're listed). I totally said that wrong last night too the network has a linear (E-W) range of about 200mi. I'm not entirely sure how far N-S it reaches but we've heard guys about 50mi north of my location and I believe I am 20ish miles north of one of the systems.
We do have a repeater close. I guess what I'm trying to say is I need to learn how to put the codes in my radios. I've watched some videos on YouTube, I just need to refresh my old memory.

Users who are viewing this thread