5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch can question

Viper67

Reaction score
For those running a 2018 or higher 5.7 Hemi with a catch can. How many miles does it have to be emptied? And is this typical, meaning every x miles it’s needs to be emptied or if your hauling or going thru the mountains it has to be emptied 40% more etc. just trying to figure this out.

Thanks

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good question. I would assume that the more stress on the engine, the more vapor caught in the can. Conversely, the better oil you use, the less vapor. There are also different sized cans out there! Your best bet is just check it every 1,000 miles or so when you first install to get a gauge of how much oil is caught over time, and then adjust as you see fit. Takes only a few minutes to check.

ArmyofOne

Reaction score
I just put mine on, and I will check at every fuel stop for the first 1k or so until I get a feel for how often it needs to be emptied. Oil quality as well as type of driving have a massive effect on it. For instance, I use Redline oil (its what my dealer stocks in synthetic), and don't drive my truck much. When I do, its about 30 minutes up the freeway to lowe's and 30 minutes back. Sometimes I will scoot around town but I also move it in and out of my driveway and garage alot (with 4 other cars, we play musical parking quite a bit), so I anticipate I will have to empty it twice every oil change (7 months or 7500 miles for me, per the dealer.)

Users who are viewing this thread