5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch Can install pictures

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just did the install today. Only problem was finding a spot to mount the can.
I had problems getting a nut under the plastic so it's kinda just jammed in there ill need to do something about it but the install itself was super ez compared to other trucks I didn't even need any tools unless you count a screwdriver.

I left the engine cover off. I'm not sure if I even want to put it back on since it's just going to trap heat and doesn't really look like it makes a difference.

I'm debating about putting a different cold air intake on but i'm going to get my ECM unlocked and tune the engine first and see how it goes with stock.

Drove it a bit around town and no problems or engine codes, I ended up doing the 2 output tubes with check valves before a T so I could use my larger can which I think is massive compaired to the other cans folks are using. I could probably drain it every 20k miles or more, but i'm going to continue to drain at each oil change.

Here are some pictures of the installed can.
View attachment 126593 View attachment 126594 View attachment 126595 View attachment 126596 View attachment 126598
Actually the way you have it hooked up is two inputs and one output. So hopefully your check valves are facing as such, or you basically just made your PCV valve inoperable.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Actually the way you have it hooked up is two inputs and one output. So hopefully your check valves are facing as such, or you basically just made your PCV valve inoperable.
???? It's one 1 input and 1 output.
The can itself has 2 outputs so I used a T connector with check vales going out. Both check valves are facing the same way.

The videos I saw claimed the front of the engine was into the can and the rear of the engine was out from the can. Is that not the case?

I drove it and it felt fine. If I screwed up the directions the truck should of drove like crap?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just installed the JTL can a couple weeks ago. About $160. and install was about 15 minute. Easy and clean install
View attachment 126611
My can(s) were like 600 bucks from an older truck or else I would of went a simular route. This can is going to last my life span.
Your install is very clean looking unlike mine.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Now I'm confused. The video someone linked on the first page claims the rear connection pvc valve was the out and the front was the in...
Wtf, defiantly had 0 airflow earlyer but somehow the truck still ran good, sucks now I'm going to need to use different tubing due to le gths and somehow get these ones off.

Should be in from the back of engine pcv vales and out to the throttle body, so my T connector should come up front.

Man I hate YouTube sometimes people just say or do the wrong thing and sell is as the right thing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
???? It's one 1 input and 1 output.
The can itself has 2 outputs so I used a T connector with check vales going out. Both check valves are facing the same way.

The videos I saw claimed the front of the engine was into the can and the rear of the engine was out from the can. Is that not the case?

I drove it and it felt fine. If I screwed up the directions the truck should of drove like crap?
Truck won't run any different, just won't have a working PCV system. PCV valve is on the rear of intake manifold and would be the "out" from the crankcase. Throttle body is the "in" that creates the vacuum. So in for your catch can comes off OCV valve and out from catch can goes to throttle body.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Truck won't run any different, just won't have a working PCV system. PCV valve is on the rear of intake manifold and would be the "out" from the crankcase. Throttle body is the "in" that creates the vacuum. So in for your catch can comes off OCV valve and out from catch can goes to throttle body.
Interesting way to use in and out.
In the video he said "out port" on the can which by my definition would mean output or air flowing out that direction. Watching the video posted again he properly states airflow at the start of the video but then switches them when he's connecting to the can saying this is the "out port on the can" which is auctally the intake port.
I ended up just looking up some diagrams as I didn't even know what the back port was which I now know is the pcv, which needs to go on the input of my can (which is not how it is now)

On other trucks hooking it up like this would cause an engine light to come on if you took it on the highway or gave it wot but I guess ours is a little different. Probbly no harm done. Only drove twice for 5 minutes each maybe 6 miles total.

Wasn't planning on doing truck stuff on Easter but oh well

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting way to use in and out.
In the video he said "out port" on the can which by my definition would mean output or air flowing out that direction. Watching the video posted again he properly states airflow at the start of the video but then switches them when he's connecting to the can saying this is the "out port on the can" which is auctally the intake port.
I ended up just looking up some diagrams as I didn't even know what the back port was which I now know is the pcv, which needs to go on the input of my can (which is not how it is now)

On other trucks hooking it up like this would cause an engine light to come on if you took it on the highway or gave it wot but I guess ours is a little different. Probbly no harm done. Only drove twice for 5 minutes each maybe 6 miles total.

Wasn't planning on doing truck stuff on Easter but oh well
Driven longer it may have eventually popped a check engine light

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Driven longer it may have eventually popped a check engine light
Yeah, I went WOT a little but not much, and roads were like 35 mph.

This is the install now, not screwed up, once you get past the jankiness of using a T connector on a single line connection 2022-04-17 10.02.26.jpg 2022-04-17 10.02.42.jpg 2022-04-17 10.02.53.jpg 2022-04-17 10.03.00.jpg

On an unrelated note, how do you like your TazerDT? Worth the $300? I don't need it to disable MDS or auto-start so just for the other features.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I went WOT a little but not much, and roads were like 35 mph.

This is the install now, not screwed up, once you get past the jankiness of using a T connector on a single line connection View attachment 126629 View attachment 126630 View attachment 126631 View attachment 126632

On an unrelated note, how do you like your TazerDT? Worth the $300? I don't need it to disable MDS or auto-start so just for the other features.
I like my TazerDT. I got it for features a lot of guys don't care about. Completely disable traction and stability control, line lock, and light show. The other features were just bonuses to me. Like the third brake light pulse, enabled my trailer brake controller with one click, vs three with alfaOBD. Disable fog light drop out with high beams. Changed my splash screen on start up to say SPORT instead of RAM.

327V8Hemi2020

Reaction score
JTL….BEST FOR THE 5.7’s….

Attachments

• 7181EA1D-8EED-4099-ADEC-D580D8202AB5.jpeg
    7181EA1D-8EED-4099-ADEC-D580D8202AB5.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread