5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch Can install pictures

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tried to search the forums for this but turns out the word "can" is too short and gets excluded from the results....

I currently have a TeamRXP catch can.
I'm looking for a diagram or a good picture of where incoming and outgoing connections go on a 5.7 Hemi (etorque if it matters).

Also I see a lot of people putting these in their trucks but I never see check values, is it because everyone is getting cheap crap or is there a reason you wouldn't be using a check valves at the output?

Ill need to figure out how to mount it as my current bracket isn't going to work but ill need to figure that out later.
Looking at my can it appears ill either need to use the smaller of the 2 I own, or maybe T off the big can into 1 tube.

Any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 1648760850639.png
    1648760850639.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 129

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
E torque kinda matters. There is an extra bracket for the wires under the engine cover. You kinda have to route the aft house around that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
E torque kinda matters. There is an extra bracket for the wires under the engine cover. You kinda have to route the aft house around that

Very good link.

I would rather use my bigger can as I have no idea how much crap i'm going to be collecting.
I wonder if I can T my outputs into 1 tube with 2 check valves before the T.
Any idea if that could cause a problem?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I don’t see why. But my mishimoto catches a lot less condensation and more oil than my elite on my other truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tried to search the forums for this but turns out the word "can" is too short and gets excluded from the results....

I currently have a TeamRXP catch can.
I'm looking for a diagram or a good picture of where incoming and outgoing connections go on a 5.7 Hemi (etorque if it matters).

Also I see a lot of people putting these in their trucks but I never see check values, is it because everyone is getting cheap crap or is there a reason you wouldn't be using a check valves at the output?

Ill need to figure out how to mount it as my current bracket isn't going to work but ill need to figure that out later.
Looking at my can it appears ill either need to use the smaller of the 2 I own, or maybe T off the big can into 1 tube.

Any info would be appreciated!
I've never seen a catch can like that. How many lines does it have/need? Most catch can only have two lines, an in and an out. No need for any check valve, unless you are running boost, has nothing to do with being "cheap". And in that case, you should also have a catch can on the fresh air intake side as well as PCV side.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've never seen a catch can like that. How many lines does it have/need? Most catch can only have two lines, an in and an out. No need for any check valve, unless you are running boost, has nothing to do with being "cheap". And in that case, you should also have a catch can on the fresh air intake side as well as PCV side.
It's a can made from TeamRXP

It was originally for a Silverado and the clean side separator was replaced with the mini-can on the left side.
It's unreal how much stuff it caught and I like how there's a spout on the bottom so nothing to unscrew or **** around with, just put a red solo cup under it and let it drain.

The check value is to make sure air is not going backwards and it only flows one way, but the setup on the ram looks a little different.
Looks like they are doing the same exact thing on the 6.2 Hemis with the 2 outputs, but I guess not on the 5.7.
1648780735723.png

I guess ill need to mess around with the 5.7 and see if I can figure out where stuff is going and determine if I need 1 or 2 cans, and 1 or 2 outputs. I could in theory just cap off one of the output spouts with a very tight rubber cap.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a can made from TeamRXP

It was originally for a Silverado and the clean side separator was replaced with the mini-can on the left side.
It's unreal how much stuff it caught and I like how there's a spout on the bottom so nothing to unscrew or **** around with, just put a red solo cup under it and let it drain.

The check value is to make sure air is not going backwards and it only flows one way, but the setup on the ram looks a little different.
Looks like they are doing the same exact thing on the 6.2 Hemis with the 2 outputs, but I guess not on the 5.7.
View attachment 124929

I guess ill need to mess around with the 5.7 and see if I can figure out where stuff is going and determine if I need 1 or 2 cans, and 1 or 2 outputs. I could in theory just cap off one of the output spouts with a very tight rubber cap.
Your PCV valve is a check valve. Line I said, you would I ly need that on the catch can lines if you are running a boosted application. Unless your rings are shot, there is no reason there should ever be reverse flow through the system. Seems like an overly complicated set up to me, at least for a N/A engine

HemiDude

Reaction score
As others have said - No need for a check valve on a stock 5.7L. IF you have the ability to simplify your current setup, I think you will find it performs exactly as one would expect.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I thought the Mishimoto was expensive at $200, the TeamRXP is $580

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow..way over engineered for what the 5.7 needs

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ill just use some tubing without check valves. There's no reason for me to sell my $650 can setup when I can re-use it over and over.
The check valves were on the tubing because they went into the air intake close to the throttle body, and I wouldn't want air going backwards into the catch can.

The amount of crap I took out of my Silverado with that dwarfs anything I have seen on these forums (because it's a different kind of engine I know) but still I know the can itself works great.
I had a MAF sensor brake at 20k miles after being caked up with crap (before I got the catch can) on a 5.3L Ecotec 3.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Ill just use some tubing without check valves. There's no reason for me to sell my $650 can setup when I can re-use it over and over.
The check valves were on the tubing because they went into the air intake close to the throttle body, and I wouldn't want air going backwards into the catch can.

The amount of crap I took out of my Silverado with that dwarfs anything I have seen on these forums (because it's a different kind of engine I know) but still I know the can itself works great.
I had a MAF sensor brake at 20k miles after being caked up with crap (before I got the catch can) on a 5.3L Ecotec 3.
Interested to see what you capture with the TXP compared to what most people here have which seems to be Mishimoto, UPR, or Billet

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interested to see what you capture with the TXP compared to what most people here have which seems to be Mishimoto, UPR, or Billet
I can't imagine any of the catch cans you listed capture any more or less than the other if used on the same truck in the same conditions. They all function the same, and having seen pictures, the UPR, BilletTech, and cheaper Amazon one I run are all identical in how they are designed internally.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You only need two lines in the 5.7l. In from PCV valve(rear passenger side under engine cover) and out to the intake port just behind the throttle body. Check valve not needed unless you are running boost No need for anything on the fresh air/clean side either, unless running boost. If you have oil coming out that side of your PCV system, on a NA engine, then you have bigger problems than a catch can will help with

Scram1500

Reaction score
I can't imagine any of the catch cans you listed capture any more or less than the other if used on the same truck in the same conditions. They all function the same, and having seen pictures, the UPR, BilletTech, and cheaper Amazon one I run are all identical in how they are designed internally.
The double can might catch more vapor as it gets double filtered. It would be difficult to compare results though, too many variables. The comparison would have to occur with the same truck and driver

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The double can might catch more vapor as it gets double filtered. It would be difficult to compare results though, too many variables. The comparison would have to occur with the same truck and driver
I'm not going to be using my double cans, just 1.
The can are not used in-line, they are for separate parts.

On this engine I would just be using 1 can, depending on the insides depends on how much crap it collects.

Also yes any comparison would need to be same driver\truck\environment but nonetheless I will still report some findings.

I was going to put it on today but it took me longer then expected to get my exhaust on

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just did the install today. Only problem was finding a spot to mount the can.
I had problems getting a nut under the plastic so it's kinda just jammed in there ill need to do something about it but the install itself was super ez compared to other trucks I didn't even need any tools unless you count a screwdriver.

I left the engine cover off. I'm not sure if I even want to put it back on since it's just going to trap heat and doesn't really look like it makes a difference.

I'm debating about putting a different cold air intake on but i'm going to get my ECM unlocked and tune the engine first and see how it goes with stock.

Drove it a bit around town and no problems or engine codes, I ended up doing the 2 output tubes with check valves before a T so I could use my larger can which I think is massive compaired to the other cans folks are using. I could probably drain it every 20k miles or more, but i'm going to continue to drain at each oil change.

Here are some pictures of the installed can.
2022-04-16 17.09.34.jpg 2022-04-16 17.09.39.jpg 2022-04-16 17.09.45.jpg 2022-04-16 17.09.54.jpg 2022-04-16 17.10.03.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread