5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch Can for the ecoDiesel without throwing codes?

John Jensen

Reaction score
A good thread with great posts about installing. So I checked their site and was shocked to see that their can for my 2016 is $460.00. The second shock was they will not ship to Califunny.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How's the collection rate so far, @c3k ? Got lucky and asked if they had one last Thursday, one left in orange... Score. Recieved and installed last night and wondering if it'll make it a full oil change duration or more?

Also, does yours sit sightly titled at the firewall? As in not level.
Lol…good reminder to go check. I’m traveling…. Give me a week and I’ll come here and post some pix and mile counts.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a (poor) picture of what's collected since I installed the catchcan about 1,800 miles ago.

Pix in use.jpg

Yeah, just a smidge. That's the line barely visible at the bottom of the sight gauge. But, that smidge is not coating the back of my valves or anything else in the air path.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Here's a (poor) picture of what's collected since I installed the catchcan about 1,800 miles ago.

View attachment 153410

Yeah, just a smidge. That's the line barely visible at the bottom of the sight gauge. But, that smidge is not coating the back of my valves or anything else in the air path.
Thanks for your post. I have been on the fence regarding a catch can on my Eco.
I've read that "The Ecodiesel has a high-efficiency centrifugal air/oil separator built in."
If that's all you got in 1800 miles it confirms what I've read.
So, for me, no Catch can is needed. Thanks - much appreciated

Daverous

Reaction score
I've got about 800 on mine in the last week and don't see it in the can yet. I'll give it a bit longer and report back.

I cleaned out the hose and barb off the intake tube when installing so it'll be interesting to see if it's accumulated any residue at the junction. Before, every time I pulled the tube it would have some in there. I have the t&s intake tube too, so it was always super obvious that oil was feeding back in.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have some tips on the Oetiker clamp removal?? Those who have done it? What worked well? Seems to be the only PITA with this install.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have some tips on the Oetiker clamp removal?? Those who have done it? What worked well? Seems to be the only PITA with this install.

I found that it only came off after I'd applied 3.7 Metric Tonnes of Cussing and Swearing. And, obviously, I also had to make a small sacrifice to the blood god. Every project requires that.

Daverous

Reaction score
Take a set of side cutters to them at the pinch point, but do it sideways. Or even a PEX clamp tool set to cut will snap them right off. Assuming you have no intention of retaining them....

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Excellent. Side cutters it is....and pro tip. If you email them in French (use Google translate because they are in Quebec) they answer right away.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
Just finished installing mine today after it sat on my bench for 2 months waiting for warmer weather. The oetiker clamps were a pain and the sensor hole in the catch can was small. I ended up shaving the plastic of the sensor "plug" and using a slightly smaller O ring. Looking back I should have just drilled/honed out the catch can. I also had to buy some larger screw clamps for the 3" hose extension piece. I'm not sure if they expect you to reuse the oetiker clamps or what. They supplied clamps for the smaller hose diameter (the ones that attach directly to the catch can). Overall I am pretty happy with the installation.

PXL_20230409_224949203.jpg

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course this location is where I want to mount a second Sanden AirCon Compressor to give me On-Board Air.

Malodave

jsimon26

Reaction score
If anyone was wondering, the catch can from EOC is the T&S one. Ordered it from them and got it about 3 weeks later. I also installed it without the 3" replacement hose that goes in place of the 1.5" one. Didn't feel like dealing with those clamps tbh. It works perfect no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread