5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch Can believer

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I was more than a little skeptical about whether there is a need for a catch can, but now I am a believer.

i bought and installed the mishimoto catch can.

2020 Laramie 4x4 with off road package and 3.92 gears and just drove coast to coast to coast (San Diego to Nags Head and back, to see the grand kids). Almost 6,000 miles yes mostly highWay driving and speeds.

I drained the catch can when I got to the east coast and was surprised that almost 2 oz came out. Same result when I got home.

to think that 4 oz of oil would have mixed with the air into the intake manifold and then burned out, wow.

so cleaner intake and plugs, in my opinion.

bryan28

Reaction score
Glad you like it. I know they do what they claim but I think if not having one was such a bad thing and detrimental to the hemi engine, you'd see broken down hemi powered vehicles littering the streets.

I personally believe it's a feel good thing more than a necessity. I've had 3 hemi trucks and none have had any non-scheduled maintenance done besides recalls and I've never used a catch can.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I just performed my 3rd oil change this last weekend. This is my second oil change with a Mishimoto Catch can and both times I have collected about 1/2 cup of oil condensate at about 5-6k mile OCIs. Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil 5-20w.

In all reality it isn't a necessity. To me, this catch can isn't there to prevent catastrophic failure caused by oil vapors in the intake system but it is one more way to keep the internals clean and prevent residue build-up. I've rebuilt about a dozen engines and I would never reassemble and engine with dirty parts, so why not keep it clean in the first place is my thought.

2020SD

Reaction score
wheres the best place to purchase for price on these?

Kelan

Reaction score
I read a description for one (I don't think it was the Mishimoto) that mentioned "Not for highway driving" - is that common to see as a disclaimer.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
are these engine direction injection?
No they aren't. However oil can still collect in areas of the intake that the injectors do not wash down. Oil vapor can also contribute to knock or pre-combustion. Although it is forced induction, the Hellcat has a factory catch can so I figured if its good for the goose...

Rollint

Reaction score
No they aren't. However oil can still collect in areas of the intake that the injectors do not wash down. Oil vapor can also contribute to knock or pre-combustion. Although it is forced induction, the Hellcat has a factory catch can so I figured if its good for the goose...
True. I'm trying to imagine how it would create ping...seems like if anything it would actually increase your octane by introducing less combustible material

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As you get buildup it will insulate and keep things hotter (latent heat) inside the cylinder.

Build up enough latent heat and you can cause predetonation (before the spark) as the piston is rising to TDC (increasing compression causes heat also). The ping you hear is the cylinder firing before TDC pushing back on the piston rising up, which is no bueno for the internal components.

You can also get detonation with the residual mixture in the cylinder. When you turn off the truck the engine will continue to run for a few moments. It is commonly called 'dieseling' as a diesel engine operates on this principle...compression ignition (no spark).

rotts4u

Reaction score
I too have one and have noted similar results when draining. I was talking to another RAM owner and he said big deal so you prevented 4 ounces of oil from mixing with the gas. What difference would it make if you poured the 4 ounces directly into the fuel tank anyway. Its just gonna burn. I said well you eat hundreds of pounds of food a month, what possible difference would it make if I mixed in 4 ounces of fecees in there and you ate it? You wouldn't ever notice would you?

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I have had one since the start...well almost that long. I pull it once every two weeks or so to spot check the oil.

Chanyote66

Reaction score
I was talking to another RAM owner and he said big deal so you prevented 4 ounces of oil from mixing with the gas. What difference would it make if you poured the 4 ounces directly into the fuel tank anyway.

The big difference is that it would be mixed with the gas if poured into the tank. since it is on the pcv path, it can reach the intake when the valve is closed, causing oil to enter the intake and backstream through the intake to the MAF/MAP systems. If you want to see what this looks like, check out the inside of a 100k+ mile engine they have roughly 2.5qts through the pcv and it shows in the intake...

Users who are viewing this thread