5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catastrophic internal failure - 5800miles

reidcc

Reaction score
I just read the story on the original replacement. I understand early life failures can be extremely unnerving, as I went through it one MONTH after purchase of my 2020.

I had failure at 800 miles, although mine was not having to do with valvetrain. To cut to the chase- the tone ring, or reluctor wheel that is attached to the crank for crank position sensor decided to break apart and a piece lodged itself into one of the crank bearing journals and seized.

Upon inspection- it was noted that all they could find either in the oil pan, or still attached was one bolt holding the tone ring in place(I believe there should be 4).

I got my truck back on the 29th day(in Mass, lemon law would have kicked in at day 30), so I couldn't invoke lemon law. In hindsight- this would not have been a good idea anyway- as bought in September 2020, and it was not long after that when discounts went away, as did available supply.

Good Luck with your truck- mine has been fine since, and I now have 17K on it.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread