5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic converter stolen; Progressive only endorse aftermarket converter, any issue?

msy288

Reaction score
Long story short: just bad luck recently. Last week I sent my vehicle for a minor paint repair to a local Caliber Collision which is in-network of my insurance Progressive, and the catalytic converter got stolen the night I left my vehicle. The body shop will pay deductible of comprehensive claim and my insurance will pay the rest for the repair (including some scratches made by the thief). I just receive the estimate list and notice that the converter will be the aftermarket instead of OEM. The body shop said Progressive declined my request to use OEM, and I called the Progressive presentative and he told me that because my 2019 RAM is old car and they could not justify the OEM converter. Not sure what kind of aftermarket converter they are going to put there. I was pretty pissed by what had happen recently and very disappointed to hear that Progressive refuse to endorse OEM part for my case. Any issues for the aftermarket catalytic converter per your experience? Thx!
-------------------------------------------------

August 25 update: Stuck at the stage for estimate difference between Dealer and Insurance. Please kindly give your opinions. Thx again!

Last edited:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Long story short: just bad luck recently. Last week I sent my vehicle for a minor paint repair to a local Caliber Collision which is in-network of my insurance Progressive, and the catalytic converter got stolen the night I left my vehicle. The body shop will pay deductible of comprehensive claim and my insurance will pay the rest for the repair (including some scratches made by the thief). I just receive the estimate list and notice that the converter will be the aftermarket instead of OEM. The body shop said Progressive declined my request to use OEM, and I called the Progressive presentative and he told me that because my 2019 RAM is old car and they could not justify the OEM converter. Not sure what kind of aftermarket converter they are going to put there. I was pretty pissed by what had happen recently and very disappointed to hear that Progressive refuse to endorse OEM part for my case. Any issues for the aftermarket catalytic converter per your experience? Thx!
In California, you can only replace a catalyst with OEM or with one on the ARB approved list. And I just looked and there are none. So tell the adjuster you're planning to move to California.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Tell the adjuster you are entitled to the same OEM converter as was stolen. No reason you should have to take a "downgrade". Escalate up the ladder and be a Karen if you have to.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you were involved in an at fault accident and they wanted to use non OEM parts thats one thing but when you are a victim of theft that’s just wrong on so many levels. The insurance company should make it right. At the very least the body shop should kick in a bit more to offset the price difference for OEM since they didn’t provide better security for your vehicle. I know most places have waivers for stuff like that but that’s no excuse for not protecting customers vehicles.

msy288

Reaction score
Thanks folks! I just talked to the adjuster that I cannot accept an aftermarket converter. he said he wants his supervisor to contact me. I also informed the Body shop that don't order the aftermarket converter. My standing will be that I CANNOT accept the repair if they are going to put aftermarket converter. I am glad to check with you guys first! Will update how it goes.

Progressive is so cheap. I have been so many years membership and emerald level and insured both my cars with high premium, and this time the claim on Progressive is even less than $1000 and they are doing this cheap thing! I am thinking to change insurance company after this incident.

Dunga

Reaction score
Tell the adjuster you are entitled to the same OEM converter as was stolen. No reason you should have to take a "downgrade". Escalate up the ladder and be a Karen if you have to.
This is one area where you usually have to be a Karen to get what’s yours. See if you can lean on your insurance agent. Sorry this happened to you. Dealing with adjusters is one of the worst things people have to endure.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would go up the chain, aftermarket catalytic converts are just obviously cheaper so that’s why they’re choosing to go that route for a even a 19 that’s still a newish truck I wouldn’t accept anything other then OEM.

Currently dealing with Progressive myself for some damage some assh**e did more then likely at the hotel I’m staying at and of course didn’t bother to leave any information. Hoping it’s smooth sailing.

Dunga

Reaction score
Thanks folks! I just talked to the adjuster that I cannot accept an aftermarket converter. he said he wants his supervisor to contact me. I also informed the Body shop that don't order the aftermarket converter. My standing will be that I CANNOT accept the repair if they are going to put aftermarket converter. I am glad to check with you guys first! Will update how it goes.

Progressive is so cheap. I have been so many years membership and emerald level and insured both my cars with high premium, and this time the claim on Progressive is even less than $1000 and they are doing this cheap thing! I am thinking to change insurance company after this incident.
They don’t care. You’re customer #5638760. That’s what we are. What pisses me off is that we all pay ur premiums no questions asked. My insurance company gets their money before I see my paycheck in my account. But when it comes time to pay up, they act like you’re a delinquent teenager trying to borrow another $50 from their dad.

Insurance companies call it a “loss” to refer to money they had to pay for claims. Whether it’s health insurance, life, auto…etc. It’s a “loss” to them. Not honoring their end of a contract. But a loss. You can tell I have lots of thoughts about those companies.

1923bob

Reaction score
Bummer I just had my converter engraved hopefully will detour theft.

msy288

Reaction score
I would ask the shop to cover the cost difference, they are technically responsible.

The shop already agreed to pay for the deductible $1000. I am not quite sure if I should ask them to pay another $2k for the price difference. They may not agree since I already use my comprehensive to file the claim.

msy288

Reaction score
I have escalated the issue and let the agent knows that I cannot accept it. I just called RAM factory customer service and the representative told me that I must have a Mopar converter installed to maintain my warranty (I also have 8 years extended max care warranty). I am not giving up. If Progressive refuse to install OEM, then I refuse to accept the repair.

Put my finger crossed that Progressive management will accept my request for OEM cat converter.

msy288

Reaction score
You sure it isn't the shop isn't pushing the aftermarket part? The only way they are going to cover that $1k is if they get paid for an OEM but use a cheaper aftermarket part.

Positive. I have spoke directly to the Progressive (both claim agent and the person charge in supervising the repair). They said they cannot honor OEM part bc my 2019 RAM is not a new car. BS!

msy288

Reaction score
You have to right to choose your own repair facility. I'd bring the truck to a RAM dealer and have them do it, tell progressive good luck with making them use an aftermarket part.

The progressive agent simply told me that if I bring my car to dealership they will only reimburse the cost for the aftermarket converter anyway. I think this is BS, right? Anyway I am kind of stuck in the middle of the caliber collision since they are repairing the paint scratch (both the ones caused by me and the ones caused by the cat converters thieves). I think my best strategy is to insist on OEM part and refuse to accept the repair if they want to use aftermarket one, as Progressive claim that "the work is guaranteed if using their in-network shop". Anyway just my bad luck these few weeks.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is there anything in the fine prints of your insurance contract? if not, i'd get a lawyer involved if they keep on insisting on aftermarket. tell them you're lawyering up, and also tell them you'll be spreading this story far and wide, and you're willing to go as far as contacting your local news station for them to tell the public not to go with progressive.
or they can just pay for the oe one and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread