5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic converter protector

eric.ensley1

Reaction score
So with all the news about cats being stolen, I am going to get a plate cut to put up under the truck. There is a 350$ min order so I am buying as many as I can for 350. I'm in the Houston area and will sell them for 140$. If u are outside of Houston I'll sell the dxf file for 20$ and u can make as many as u want.

There are 4 threaded attachment points under the truck. I will need to space the plate off of the frame to make room for the exhaust.

Good idea? Any interest?

Once done I'll take pics.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I'm possibly interested. I'm in Conroe. At least we aren't Tundra/Tacoma owners.... they get hit the worst!

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't watch local news, is this still an ongoing issue in our "wonderful" city?

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Local liquor store owner had his stolen. He just purchased rebar got it cut and bent and welded to cover th cat under his truck.. didn’t look bad and only added the weight of rebar.. just a cheaper option

eric.ensley1

Reaction score
Got the plates in, I need to spend some time seeing if I got the dims right!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think parking over a bear mat will be a more fun way to discourage catalytic converter thieves.

You can make one with a rubber mat, section of 4x4 concrete reinforcement mesh (looks like fence sheets sold in Home Depot) and an electric fence head unit. A nice 4x8 sheet in your driveway will fit nicely under the truck.

You need a camera too so you can capture the comedy that will ensue.

moseriv

Reaction score
I'm in Tomball and have been searching for a solution to this and would be interested. Etching the VIN and painting the CAT bright pink does little to deter these people.

eric.ensley1

Reaction score
I've been lazy and have not put it under the truck yet.... Also the 70 lb plate makes me a bit worried. After I got it home I looked at it and said... "Why didn't I put time lightening holes in it!!!!.... Once I get it on I will figure out where I want to put them in. A friend has a flame table and will get it cut up.... I'll try to do it tomorrow if I can drag my *** out there...

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have access to a lift and 4 x 12 foot CNC Plasma Cutter at
my local Makerspace to do my own. Just have to get the
dimensions and make the 2D CAD File.

Malodave

bud007

Reaction score
another member mentioned this in another thread https://bmmpr.com/ i purchased the bmmpr 1 and am very satisfied with it , Cost less than having a car alarm installed and takes very little time to install ... about a minute and then set up the app . Anyone interested should read the info on their website or watch some youtube videos .
I live in Los Angeles and Its hard to keep anything of value from not being stolen so with this system along with a faraday pouch for my fob , i at least feel a little better with how i have protected my truck. (y)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been lazy and have not put it under the truck yet.... Also the 70 lb plate makes me a bit worried. After I got it home I looked at it and said... "Why didn't I put time lightening holes in it!!!!.... Once I get it on I will figure out where I want to put them in. A friend has a flame table and will get it cut up.... I'll try to do it tomorrow if I can drag my *** out there...

Am in the Houston area and interested in two of them…have a pit bull sitting under each truck over night but it’s costing me a fortune in t-bones to keep ‘em there! And I know if the converter thieves who up with a couple actual furry “cats”, my security system will be preoccupied with the fur/hissing, and my precious cats are gone!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dumb question, but if someone has the time and tools to steal a catalytic converter, then what's to stop them from just unbolting this plate while they're at it?

eric.ensley1

Reaction score
They want to get in and get out quick. But yes they could take the time to unscrew the 4 bolts and then let the 70 lb plate lower smoothly down.

eric.ensley1

Reaction score
My friend at work just has his cats stolen off his Toyota land cruiser. Car was parked front row infront of 5 below. THANK YOU MILWAUKEE and DIABLO!! So I'm going to get the plate on my truck asap!!! I'll post pics once I get It on.

FormerTitanFan

Reaction score
I think parking over a bear mat will be a more fun way to discourage catalytic converter thieves.

You can make one with a rubber mat, section of 4x4 concrete reinforcement mesh (looks like fence sheets sold in Home Depot) and an electric fence head unit. A nice 4x8 sheet in your driveway will fit nicely under the truck.

You need a camera too so you can capture the comedy that will ensue.
I like the way you think

eric.ensley1

Reaction score
Well I put it on and it actually fit perfectly!! I made all the measurements with a tape measure so I was worried the holes would not line up.

So I have 2 more I can sell. I. Going to a body shop soon to get a price on blast, primer and black paint.

If interested let me know

Eric
f71bf3e7ad341f712b7debb2e1d24e38.jpg
c06c9b90ff0af147aa07a88c49ec8048.jpg
555a6b596e855c575c43fb248ae8a162.jpg
ee1a2ac9db59ab86e4e3ec6cad48770f.jpg
4d75b1dd5a239647eec9e4a8fb85aa95.jpg
fb2306a1c66d22ba614cc11003c4f6c1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/