5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat scale slips

Joecameron69

Reaction score
Hey guys, just weighed the truck, 2020 1500 Bighorn, 5.7 etorque, 3.92, payload 1616. trailer is a 2021 Forest River, Wildwood WDT24RLXL, 28.11 with hitch, 24.11 without hitch. Just wanting some input on the weights here, I think I have it in around 13% tongue weight. Taking off monday for Zion, and just double checking numbers. Thanks folks.

Attachments

• 20200913_155917.jpg
    20200913_155917.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210417_150517.jpg
    20210417_150517.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 20210417_150532.jpg
    20210417_150532.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 172

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Front axle weight looks good.

Well under GAWR but right on the 7,100 lbs GVWR limit. How much more weight do you plan to put in the truck?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Joecameron
Using WDH (y) Largely replaced unloaded steer weight. (y)
Loaded weight 7100 less unloaded weight of 6420 equals tongue weight of 780 pounds (Use this method when using a WDH because tongue weight is dynamic & no longer static)
780 plus 5160 equals 5960 gross trailer weight. 780/5940 equals 13.1 percent tongue percentage. (y)

These numbers tell me this setup will tow with stability not sway and stop well. How do I know? Daily experience towing TTs for the Mfgrs to dealerships nationwide 7 years 800,000 miles. But also meets all Mfgr specs which meets SAE society of automotive engineers J2807 research & standards.

What does the 7100 GVW tell me? Only that the cover the Mfgrs butt warranty lawyers have nothing to work with should he need warranty work.
If it was over and a commercial vehicle potentially extra money for the state.

What if he added more passengers? Technically though perhaps not measurably the truck to a point would be more stable but take longer to stop.

What if he added more passengers and wanted to stay at or below 7100 for warranty concerns? He can adjust his WDH and or trailer and truck loading to lower his tongue weight.
At 10 percent (minimum SAE recommended) or 600 pounds tongue weight he would free up 180 pounds of available payload towards his GVWR.

What if he was gravely concerned about adhering to the 7100 GVWR but wanted to add still more passengers and had nothing to remove from inside his bed? To me this gets a bit foolish. As far as DOT is concerned if he isn't exceeding either axle weight ie his combined max axle weight of 8,000 its only about revenue from a commercial vehicle. Well and or theoretically warranty. Thats said he could replace the tailgate with a net and relocate the spare to the trailer. This would free up another 120 pounds of payload or 300 pounds total.

Honestly I don't know why so many people have become so focused on payload. I assume because it's normally the first spec to be exceeded. Likely also that these people have no idea how to set up a safe stable tow so the only thing they know to do is to parrot add up weight guesstimates towards a payload sticker number. No auto Mfgr, TT Mfgr, or SAE documentation recommends this method. So who came up with this idea nobody knows.

Hope you had a great trip. Let us know how she towed Joe.

Last edited:

Joecameron69

Reaction score
Joecameron
Using WDH (y) Largely replaced unloaded steer weight. (y)
Loaded weight 7100 less unloaded weight of 6420 equals tongue weight of 780 pounds (Use this method because tongue weight is dynamic not static when using a WDH)
780 plus 5160 equals 5960 gross trailer weight. 780/5940 equals 13.1 percent tongue percentage. (y)
These number tell me this setup will tow with stability not sway and stop well. How do I know? Daily experience towing TTs for the Mfgrs to dealerships nationwide 7 years 800,000 miles. But also meets all Mfgr specs which meets SAE society of automotive engineers J2807 standards.

What does the 7100 GVW tell me? Only that the cover the Mfgrs butt warranty lawyers have nothing to work with should he need warranty work.
If it was a commercial vehicle potentially extra money for the state.

What if he added more passengers? Technically though perhaps not measurably the truck would be more stable but take longer to stop.

What if he added more passengers and wanted to stay at or below 7100 for warranty concerns? He can adjust his WDH and or trailer and truck loading to lower his tongue weight.
At 10 percent (minimum recommended) or 600 pounds tongue weight he would free up another 180 pounds of available payload towards his GVWR.

What if he was gravely concerned about adhering to 7100 but wanted to add still more passengers and had nothing to remove from inside his bed? To me this gets a bit foolish. As far as DOT is concerned if he isn't exceeding either axle weight ie his combined max axle weight of 8,000 its only about revenue. However he could replace the tailgate with a net and relocate the spare to the trailer. This would free up another 120 pounds of payload most of which would come off his drive axle weight. Honestly I have no idea why so many people got so focused on payload. I guess because it's normally the first spec to be exceeded even though the first priority should be setup for safety and stability.

Hope you had a great trip. Let us know how she towed Joe.
Towed great, had no sway, I traveled between 65 and 70 mph, no pull from trucks passing. Traveled in a group, my friend had a 1966 airstream 24' pulled with a 2007 Tahoe, they pulled to my house from California, when they pulled up with the lights pointing to the sky, the next morning we went to the scales and did some measuring and weighing, after getting numbers dialed in, he said it was night and day driving to the camp ground. We did sit around and watch people pulling into the camp ground, many people do not know or are not aware that you need to make adjustments to the WDH. Watched a guy pull in with a brand new 34' or 36' (over heard him telling the guy parked next to him. As he was turning the corner his tires were bouncing, he had no clue about what he was doing. Gets out of truck and telling his friends that it pulled great. Wife gets out telling a different story, about how they were all over the road. Great to sit around and listen to everyones stories

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Excellent work. That is helping out a friend and making the roads safer for all of us. You can in the extreme example (8k+ TT poor WD) take it from out of spec to within spec without removing any weight and from "white knuckle" to two fingers driveable. Isn't it surprising how many people don't get the weight distribution part of WDH. "My TT sales guy had somebody set it up for me so it should be right" When in reality they set up a dry trailer without a scale often without even taking measurements. Measurements alone are fine to get you in the ball park or zone so to speak with a moderate sized trailer for the truck. But the triple scale that weighs all three sets of axles at the same time enables you to see your numbers and make adjustments towards and adhere to Mfgr specs (SAE j2807 standards) that the eyeball and measurements alone cannot.

Thing is if the guy you described goes to a TT forum for help. He likely hears; "Whats your payload sticker".. stack this estimate plus that estimate you are over payload you need to buy a bigger truck like I did or a smaller trailer before you kill somebody lol or they sue your eye out. If he says but I see guys pulling this size trailer with the same truck all the time. Typical answer; "Those guys are idiots." This seems like the blind leading the blind. Instead of lets get your truck specs, your WDH size ratings, and your scale slip numbers.

CAT scales have a free smart phone app with gps directions. Cost usually about $15 plus $3 per additional weigh. So for an hour or so one time with a new trailer and $20 you can concretely optimise your setup for maximum safety stability and peace of mind driving. You can also prove your due diligence and not being overweight should you have an accident etc.

Edit I want to add that I am not against using a bigger truck than needed. A heavier stiffer suspension truck will extend the limits and make towing when without a WDH safer. It's only that many get told they must buy a bigger truck or sell their trailer when an inexpensive WDH & CAT scale visit can often remedy the problem.

Last edited:

lloydbraun

Reaction score
New member and new owner. Did it backwards but bought the truck then the camper. Truck. 2021 bighorn 5.7 hemi with 3.92 , Class IV hitch and factory trailer brake controller. Payload off sticker is 1835 , GVWR 7100, GAWR front 3900 rear 4100. Had nerf bars and tonneau cover put on and the equalizer wash I’ve lost 235 lbs so payload now 1600lbs.
Camper Transcend Xplor 200MK 24’11” dry weight 5340 , GVWR 6995.
Just me and the wife at 350lbs combined.
Had a shooting match and did my first tow. Hit the cat scale coming home. Had 20 gallons of water and we’ve been working hard to make sure we travel pretty light and maybe add a bit as I get more comfortable. Had 113 lbs of rifle stuff in truck with us which would normally not be though so hoping to use that eight on a generator in the truck moving forward.
After I weighed it got busy so I did not unhook and go weigh the truck unhitched. I went the next day and loaded up the wife and all my rifle equipment back in the truck and weighed it alone. My mistake was when coming home I was at 7/8 on the gas gauge and when i weighed the truck alone I’m guessing I had probably 2.5 to 3 gallons more gas. Should be a minor amount but there is a slight difference. Am going to weigh it again this week and do it all at once.
I feel like I stayed pretty conservative and to me the numbers look good and hoping I still have room for the generator in the truck and maybe a little more in the camper. Still trying to figure where I’m at in trailer weight and tongue weight. Do theses numbers look good to you guys so far and any mistakes I’ve made.
Rich ED4C5362-DF36-496D-B351-B1C0FE3DAEC9.jpeg

3D496C8C-8D85-431A-81C0-58732E628C16.jpeg E670C6C3-FA0A-4228-81FD-7D802176C863.png 67AB3446-E8C9-4244-B80B-6237D2E8206A.png 867BC956-01C9-4997-BA68-6D50D93A1D20.png

VernDiesel

Reaction score
You have replaced most of your steer weight which is good. Your tongue weight is light at less than 6%. This would be prone to sway at higher speeds. But if you have a built in sway control hitch you may never see or feel it. Truck & trailer both look nice and level.

lloydbraun

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. From the 2 cat slips how do I estimate tongue weight. There’s a corplast covering on the bottom of the camper so can’t see exactly where stuff is. But the water pump is up front with the fresh water drain forward of the door so I definitely could put more tongue weight on with water weight.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. From the 2 cat slips how do I estimate tongue weight. There’s a corplast covering on the bottom of the camper so can’t see exactly where stuff is. But the water pump is up front with the fresh water drain forward of the door so I definitely could put more tongue weight on with water weight.

(3280+3300) = 6580 lbs

6580 - 5920 = 660 lbs tongue weight

Trailer 5460+660 = 6,120 lb trailer weight

660/6120 = 10.7% tongue weight

Joecameron69

Reaction score
Changed out my E2 WDH for a Husky WDH. Nothing wrong with the E2 just wanted to try the Husky out. Truck is all stock 2020 1500 Etorque 5.7, 4x4, 3.92 rear axle. I followed the directions and this is what the weighs are, I did not get the bars completely straight, they are up about 1/2 inch where they go on the L brackets. Truck is back to the original height, and trailer frame is down 1 inch lower in the front. Had everything loaded in the truck for the camping, 2 adults, 1 large dog, 2 bikes, full tank of gas, and extra propane tank. Trailer is loaded except for fridge. Does it matter that the bars are off by 1/2 inch? Thanks for your advice. 20211003_120607.jpg 20211003_135515.jpg 20211003_135531.jpg 20211003_135545.jpg 20211003_1206241.jpg

Bavet

Reaction score
Is there a percentage we can go by to determine the ideal amount of weight that has been restored to the front axle? 90%? 95%? My setup is currently at 3260 with WDH and 3400 just the truck. That's 95.9%. Thanks!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a percentage we can go by to determine the ideal amount of weight that has been restored to the front axle? 90%? 95%? My setup is currently at 3260 with WDH and 3400 just the truck. That's 95.9%. Thanks!

Ideal is within 100 lbs

Users who are viewing this thread