5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAT Scale blues?

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Well, we finally made our first out-of-town trip this season with the camper and RAM. Towed around 350-400 miles round trip from Cincinnati to London, KY. While on our way South, we diverted for lunch and to waste time to try and stay out of traffic from a bad crash on I-75 near Renfro Valley. Unfortunately, we couldn't avoid the traffic later :( The place we stopped near Lexington had a CAT scale, so I figured, why not? Setup the app while we ate lunch, pulled onto the scale and everything was done in a jiffy...easy peasy. Was nice to do it all in-venhicle as it was pouring rain. Unfortunately, I don't think I like the numbers I'm seeing. I continue to fight the Andersen hitch setup with this vehicle. I think I may be moving on and trying the Husky Centerline TS 800-1,200 lb bar setup. I'm posting my numbers to gather thoughts, more info, etc. I'll leave out MY initial thoughts to let others "weigh" in :) Trailer tows at 32' 10". Truck had me, wife and two teens. Had some stuff in the bed, as well...but not a lot...pretty typical of our longer trips. Air Lift bags around 40psi. Averaged around 9.4 mpg (truck gauge) towing between 60-70 mph on the way home. MPG on the way down sucked with the hours of stop-and-go traffic. And now...your thoughts? Thanks for the time!!!

IMG_0965.PNG IMG_1017.jpg IMG_1018.jpg IMG_0980.JPG

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm rather new to the whole towing thing, but it looks if you can shift some weight off the drive axle onto the steering axle you'd be closer to your GAWR on the rear.

It seems you are within your GCVWR... what's the tongue weight?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like if you can get your WDH dialed in more and can get that 120lbs onto the front axle you should be pretty good.

Do you have any cargo in the bed rear of the rear axle? If so move it to the front of the rear axle. Maybe put more bed cargo into the cab?

Definitely don't want to be over that rear axle rating...are you still under the tire rating?

Since you are well under gross combined...can you put all the extra cargo in the camper over the axles?

You GVWR is 7380 so you are 280 lbs over there also. But the truck should handle that ok.

Thanks for the info. Like seeing how this all goes together.

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
I'm rather new to the whole towing thing, but it looks if you can shift some weight off the drive axle onto the steering axle you'd be closer to your GAWR on the rear.

It seems you are within your GCVWR... what's the tongue weight?
I've not weighed yet for "official" tongue weight but Forest River specs it at 702lbs...I'm guessing slightly more than that. The 6440lb trailer weight is well under the 7373lb GVWR, as well.

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Looks like if you can get your WDH dialed in more and can get that 120lbs onto the front axle you should be pretty good.

Do you have any cargo in the bed rear of the rear axle? If so move it to the front of the rear axle. Maybe put more bed cargo into the cab?

Definitely don't want to be over that rear axle rating...are you still under the tire rating?

Since you are well under gross combined...can you put all the extra cargo in the camper over the axles?

You GVWR is 7380 so you are 280 lbs over there also. But the truck should handle that ok.

Thanks for the info. Like seeing how this all goes together.

Funny I was having a similar discussion with my wife about looking for some things to move into the trailer near the axles. Unfortunately there IS a lot o f heavier items up in the front pass-through storage area...I'm sure that's added a bit to the tongue weight. I just don't feel like the Andersen hitch can distribute the weight as well as other hitches. I usually put anything heavy in the bed near the cab...this trip was a few small boxes of cut pallet wood...had an extra 20lb propane tank, 1 bmx bike, etc.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Doesn’t seem to bad. A bit more weight shifted to the front axle is all you need. Maybe a different make of WDH with stiffer bars.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Front storage on a bumper pull sure sucks for tongue weight. Our storage is in the back.

It sucks to be that close to all the numbers, but no where near GCWR.

I just towed with almost a ton of wood in the back of my truck. I split it while we were camping and probably loaded back in about 1000lbs. It sure did make for a smooth ride and the extra weight got the 392 HEMI right were I wanted it in the torque range.

You are in that unique situation where the 1500 sits. Enough GCWR to tow more, but not enough payload to haul that extra weight.

I do have to agree that a stonger/heavier rated WDH would solve the problem.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
+1 to the above, get 150-200 lbs more onto the ft steering axle and push trailer weight backwards. Did you have near empty water tanks on the trailer? Can you lighten up the tongue by disconnecting the propane and batteries and moving them?
32’ is a lot of length for a short bed, shorter wheelbase. Stay off the rv trailer forums, the weight and length police will take you to task mercilessly, and you will be accused/judged of child and truck abuse for towing that rig without a drw Cummins.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Front storage on a bumper pull sure sucks for tongue weight. Our storage is in the back.

It sucks to be that close to all the numbers, but no where near GCWR.

I just towed with almost a ton of wood in the back of my truck. I split it while we were camping and probably loaded back in about 1000lbs. It sure did make for a smooth ride and the extra weight got the 392 HEMI right were I wanted it in the torque range.

You are in that unique situation where the 1500 sits. Enough GCWR to tow more, but not enough payload to haul that extra weight.

I do have to agree that a stonger/heavier rated WDH would solve the problem.
Unfortunately RAM has had the “knock” on payload ever since the coil spring changeover. When I was on the F150 forum, RAM was the whipping boy for any low payload stats. Its true that Ford has 3000# payloads on the heavy payload package F150 however thats a real one-off truck that had to be special ordered. You never found them on dealer lots. Of course it was a straight cab arrangement which nobody buys, their more “normal” SCREW 4x4’s were about 2400 pound payloads for 2019.
Source: FordF150blog.com
Begin quote:
5.0 liter Coyote V8 with 395 hp and 400 ft-lb of torque
Max towing: 11,500 pounds, max payload: 3,270
“If you want the highest possible payload capacity this is the engine to get. The 3,270 number is achieved with a regular cab, the SuperCab can handle up to 3,070 and the SuperCrew can handle up to 2,930 pounds. The 4 axle ratios available makes the towing chart quite extensive (3.15, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73), max towing at 11,500 is achieved, surprisingly with a SuperCrew + 4WD and unsurprisingly with the 3.73 axles equipped. Towing capacity doesn’t go any lower than 8,300 pounds with this engine and 3.31 axles. The truck is also available with 3.15 axle ratio, but since that doesn’t offer 4WD the lowest tow rating is actually slightly higher at 8,400 pounds. For those of you that want that V8 rumble, this is your engine and is plenty capable in all but the most extreme towing scenarios.” End quote

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
+1 to the above, get 150-200 lbs more onto the ft steering axle and push trailer weight backwards. Did you have near empty water tanks on the trailer? Can you lighten up the tongue by disconnecting the propane and batteries and moving them?
32’ is a lot of length for a short bed, shorter wheelbase. Stay off the rv trailer forums, the weight and length police will take you to task mercilessly, and you will be accused/judged of child and truck abuse for towing that rig without a drw Cummins.
Yeah, I've been on the Forest River forum since 2010. I'm sure there would be quite a "debate" if I posted those numbers :) In the past 20 years I can tell you that I've towed setups that probably had much worse ratios than what I have now. It's pretty close now, though.

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments and words of encouragement. I kinda thought I'd get blasted lol...but I was prepared for anything. It's also nice to see others thinking this through in a similar way as I am...sorry guys, you're now just as crazy :) I just ordered a Husky Centerline TS with the 800-1,200lb gross tongue weight bars. It's similar to the old Equalizer hitch I had with my previous camper, so I feel confident in its usage. I'll update after it arrives and I get it installed...including pics and CAT scale numbers. Thanks again for your input!!

PhotogDSlavey

Reaction score
Ok...we have an update. Installed the new Husky Centerline TS hitch a few days ago. Install went fairly well, except for the fact they want the shank bolts torqued to 380 ft-lbs...really? Yeah. Put a couple of cheaters on some breaker bars with sockets and put a bit of my weight down on them. I'm guessing they'll be tight enough :) Took a test tow around a couple of local interstates and it's riding MUCH better. Very little movement and everything feels stable...I think we're gonna be good. Found a nice level area at a local TD warehouse (no, this pic isn't an endorsement for them haha) and got my measurements. With only 25psi in my bags everything seems pretty level. Rear wells at 37 1/2", front wells at 37" and the trailer is about an inch high up front. I have plenty of range to adjust more on the hitch bars and the air bags, if needed. Hopefully I'll find time to get to the CAT scale again soon or I'll hit one when we head up to Michigan in a week or so. Just happy to know it rides so much better. Included some pics for reference.

IMG_1132.jpg IMG_1133.jpg IMG_1130.jpg

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok...we have an update. Installed the new Husky Centerline TS hitch a few days ago. Install went fairly well, except for the fact they want the shank bolts torqued to 380 ft-lbs...really? Yeah. Put a couple of cheaters on some breaker bars with sockets and put a bit of my weight down on them. I'm guessing they'll be tight enough :) Took a test tow around a couple of local interstates and it's riding MUCH better. Very little movement and everything feels stable...I think we're gonna be good. Found a nice level area at a local TD warehouse (no, this pic isn't an endorsement for them haha) and got my measurements. With only 25psi in my bags everything seems pretty level. Rear wells at 37 1/2", front wells at 37" and the trailer is about an inch high up front. I have plenty of range to adjust more on the hitch bars and the air bags, if needed. Hopefully I'll find time to get to the CAT scale again soon or I'll hit one when we head up to Michigan in a week or so. Just happy to know it rides so much better. Included some pics for reference.

View attachment 27958 View attachment 27959 View attachment 27960
Please post updates. I have been looking at almost the same trailer. I would be interested in how the truck performs pulling on your trip.

Johnvan

Reaction score
That's good news.
I had the same problem with the torque on mine. I couldn't even find a torque wrench that went that high.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One of the benefits of being in the heavy repair industry (building, repairing, maintaining rail cars). My 2 5/16 ball required 450 lb ft. Borrowed a torque wrench from the machinist, had about a 2 and half foot handle. Didn't take much effort to get the click.

I am sure you are well above the 380.

Good to know things are going well. Keep us posted as it sounds like you got the setup right.

slimchance

Reaction score
eTrailer sent me an email about the HaulGauge Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale ...https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Haul...=etrailer&utm_content=190724-T-HaulGauge-feat .... has anybody used this and IF so what are your results ... i watched the eTrailer video and a YouTube video and this looks just like what we need to get a real time report on hitch weight and axle weight .... ordered mine and will report when i get some info

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you set up your WDH with your airbags, but you also could be losing some of the Weight Distribution properties by running them both together. By raising the rear end, you're reducing the mechanical force applied on the hitch to push the nose of the truck down. Just FYI. I always shy away from things like air bags and add a leaf's, as they hide problems, instead of solving them like people think.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok...we have an update. Installed the new Husky Centerline TS hitch a few days ago. .... Hopefully I'll find time to get to the CAT scale again soon or I'll hit one when we head up to Michigan in a week or so.

Did you ever get back to a CAT scale?
I'll be picking up my trailer next week hopefully and was looking at the Andersen for weight reasons, but then wondered if it transferred weight as well as heavier hitches and it appears it doesn't. The dealer sells husky, though I might just buy one online to save some $$$.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you set up your WDH with your airbags, but you also could be losing some of the Weight Distribution properties by running them both together. By raising the rear end, you're reducing the mechanical force applied on the hitch to push the nose of the truck down. Just FYI. I always shy away from things like air bags and add a leaf's, as they hide problems, instead of solving them like people think.
What do you think of PhotogD’s statement in his reply with images of “the trailer is about an inch high at the front”. I’ve always read/been told that your trailer should be nose down somewhat. Thoughts?

Ram92131

Reaction score
eTrailer sent me an email about the HaulGauge Mobile Tongue Weight and Payload Scale ...https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Haul...=etrailer&utm_content=190724-T-HaulGauge-feat .... has anybody used this and IF so what are your results ... i watched the eTrailer video and a YouTube video and this looks just like what we need to get a real time report on hitch weight and axle weight .... ordered mine and will report when i get some info
Did you ever use this? It seems too good to be true so wanted to know your experience. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread