5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat. Converter Stolen

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Now to start this off, I was much better off than a bunch of other people in the same parking lot.
A) I currently drive an 02' diesel Jetta while waiting for my build, B) there is no diesel emissions testing in Texas, C) The shop welded a piece of straight pipe in place and it cost me $60 not $2k to replace it.

BUT, Has any one had one stolen off their RAM? How much was it to replace? Would any of the skid plates cover and protect it?

On the bright side, driving home with straight pipes on a little 1.9L turbo diesel Jetta and sounding like a big 2500 was a lot of fun for a short while!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone is making cover plates for Prius cars because they are the number one vehicle
that Cats are stolen off of. I am sure a Plate could be made for a RAM. I have access to a
5' x 12' CNC Plasma Table at my local Makerspace to be able to make my own.

Malodave

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Someone is making cover plates for Prius cars because they are the number one vehicle
that Cats are stolen off of. I am sure a Plate could be made for a RAM. I have access to a
Yup, I saw that! Many have it down to only a matter of minutes or less with a wire snip, single socket/wrench, and sawzall. The bolt-on plates add just enough extra difficulty that the thieves stop and move onto the next Prius.

I'll have to go out and look at where the skid plates are on our trucks in relation to the cats, see if it helps.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
They hit upwards of a dozen vehicles in the parking lot that I know of... Several company trucks included. Nice clean cuts done with a reciprocating saw.

A little bit of stainless steel cover plate should provide some discouragement if the skid plates don't.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haven't seen many thefts here, but 5 years ago I couldn't GIVE AWAY my exhaust system with 4 cats from my Titan. I literally had to take it to a parts shop and just drop it in their parking lot.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Malodave
Off topic, Where did you find black diamond plate mud guards? I want those! They will match my ranch hand bumpers I'm planning!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Off topic, Where did you find black diamond plate mud guards? I want those! They will match my ranch hand bumpers I'm planning!
Where else but Amazon. They are the Aluminum Universal Black Diamond Plate so they are not precut like the photos.

I will have my truck on the lift all day Monday to install the Wheel Spacers, Pocket Fender Flares, Mud Guards, Cab Lights,
Reverse LED Pod Lights, Tailgate Light, Run a bunch of wiring for other mods. Get measurements for the Air Tanks and
Train Horns, Whatever I can complete in the Day. I will even Laser Cut some Acrylic Mounting Plates for 200mm Fans
to install on the Both Side Window of the Leer 122 Cap.

Malodave

Last edited:

DivingOtter

Reaction score
So spent some time poking around and this seems to be the predominate solution other than an actual cover plate protection.

It ain't pretty, but it will keep it in place except for the most determined cuss...

Quint

Reaction score
Cats are being stolen like crazy here in Minnesota right now. I've had two neighbors get hit. My truck sits out on the street all year. For now, I'm going to find some high temp paint to mark it.

Has anyone had theirs stolen?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My construction yard was hit awhile back. All trucks missing mufflers and cat converters.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hate thieves so this made me smile
Next story:

Family of California man crushed by car sues jack manufacturer and auto repair facility for millions, and wins. California judge finds jack manufacturer at fault for defective materials and auto repair facility at fault for leaving car outside and accessible to the public. And, of course, it will not mention what he was actually doing.

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Next story:

Family of California man crushed by car sues jack manufacturer and auto repair facility for millions, and wins. California judge finds jack manufacturer at fault for defective materials and auto repair facility at fault for leaving car outside and accessible to the public. And, of course, it will not mention what he was actually doing.
Unfortunately, this is likely going to be true....

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Next story:

Answer to that should be, “play stupid games, win stupid prizes.”

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One way to stop this is to fine the snot out of the yards that are buying these cats without documenting the sellers.

A few years ago, the lowlifes were stealing back flow preventers. Each and every unit has a serial number. Real easy to stop that in its tracks, but it went on for quite some time.

Last edited:

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Bringing this topic back up - Anyone purchase the CatClamp? If yes, which one? I can't easily tell from their site which ones work for our trucks

Users who are viewing this thread