5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Castrol Edge vs. Castrol GTX Full Synthetic

JimStinson

Reaction score
J6st had my oil changed on my '21 Ram Laramie Sport w/5.7 eTorque.
Went with the Full Synthetic Edge without realizing it is for high mileage engines.

Does anyone think this will cause problems, or will it be okay.

My opinion is that it's okay, but I have no experience with synthetics.

Your opinions?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the only difference between the high mileage version and normal is that it has additives to help lubricate seals and different things like that. So, just using it isn't going to cause any issues in a low mileage engine. You might have just paid a little more for it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
J6st had my oil changed on my '21 Ram Laramie Sport w/5.7 eTorque.
Went with the Full Synthetic Edge without realizing it is for high mileage engines.

Does anyone think this will cause problems, or will it be okay.

My opinion is that it's okay, but I have no experience with synthetics.

Your opinions?

No worries, there was a YouTube test of high mileage synthetics vs standard synthetics within brands, it showed the high mileage better in almost all metrics.

Those extra conditioners won't hurt your "young" seals, especially with just 1 oil change. It can take several oil changes for minor weeps to go away with high-mileage oils, and you have to keep using them to maintain it.

But I swear by Mobil 1 High-Mileage, I have many old vehicles that stay relatively leak free because of that oil over the last decade or so. If you have an old German car that requires a Mobil 1 0W-40 or similar European formulation, you can a 10 oz bottle of Liqui Moly Motor Saver treatment, which uses a similar formulation to what M1 uses on their high mileage oils. You can add it to any other oils that don't have that seal conditioners.

But for your RAM, just go back to normal synthetics on your next oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread