5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carven exhaust

armymp1130

Reaction score
Hello I just installed the cut and clamp carven exhaust with 5” tips, im wondering if anyone thinks it sounds weird, like driving it sounds like its in v4 mode even tho MDS is turned off?

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello I just installed the cut and clamp carven exhaust with 5” tips, im wondering if anyone thinks it sounds weird, like driving it sounds like its in v4 mode even tho MDS is turned off?
Did you keep the stock resonators on? That could possibly be the issue. I’m sure someone who’s added the Carven will chime in with some advice.

Maxram

Reaction score
I did a custom version of this (Carven R muffler and tips). I deleted the resonators when I installed and it sounded badass. Unfortunately my wife hated riding in it at that point (was very loud in the cab) so I put the resonators back on. I don't think it sounds weird at all and I've got a ton of compliments on it with and without resonators.

Have you checked for an exhaust leak?

armymp1130

Reaction score
Did you keep the stock resonators on? That could possibly be the issue. I’m sure someone who’s added the Carven will chime in with some advice.
i kept resonators on and shut the weep holes, but its the same muffler that was on my 18 ram and that sounded so much better

armymp1130

Reaction score
I did a custom version of this (Carven R muffler and tips). I deleted the resonators when I installed and it sounded badass. Unfortunately my wife hated riding in it at that point (was very loud in the cab) so I put the resonators back on. I don't think it sounds weird at all and I've got a ton of compliments on it with and without resonators.

Have you checked for an exhaust leak?
i havent had a chance to check for leaks soon as i put it on its been rainging of course so ill have to check but it just doesnt sound right its weird unless the muffler has to break in

Maxram

Reaction score
i havent had a chance to check for leaks soon as i put it on its been rainging of course so ill have to check but it just doesnt sound right its weird unless the muffler has to break in
Could just be break in too! I've noticed the sound has changed a little bit (more refined not so poppy now). Maybe from sealing the weep holes? I didn't seal mine.

armymp1130

Reaction score
Could just be break in too! I've noticed the sound has changed a little bit (more refined not so poppy now). Maybe from sealing the weep holes? I didn't seal mine.
i wonder if the etorque makes it sound different?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I have the old cat back, my truck sounds fine with etorque. Sounds like you got a leak.

Maxram

Reaction score
Here's videos of mine with and without the resonators.

Without Resonators

With Resonators

armymp1130

Reaction score
Here's videos of mine with and without the resonators.

Without Resonators

With Resonators
mine doesnt sound anything like yours with resonators, but i checked everything and theres no leaks or anything, also on highway in 8th gear with mds off, when i let off gas 8th gear you can hear a pop

Maxram

Reaction score
mine doesnt sound anything like yours with resonators, but i checked everything and theres no leaks or anything, also on highway in 8th gear with mds off, when i let off gas 8th gear you can hear a pop
Hmmmm man idk that's weird. I don't get any popping sounds at all. Did you check from the headers all the way back and the seal? There's really nothing to the Carven R muffler itself, almost a straight pass through. If nothing else you could remove the resonators and see what you get.

Jhall

Reaction score
I had this installed on my ‘19 and I does take while to get accustomed to it. I’ve tried it both with and without resonators and personally like it better with them (too loud). So I just plugged weep holes. The sound does change depending on cold or hot engine and when it kicks into eco but I don’t mind the difference. It’s just a personal preference. Hope this helps.

Jhall

Reaction score
On cold startup, how loud is the Carven?
Mine is fairly loud. I can hear it running from inside my house and I park about 30 yards or so from my front door. Believe it or not it does get a little quieter the warmer it gets.

Maxram

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tried the TR series without resonators? I guess the TR is suppose to be a little toned down from the R. Maybe a middle ground so to speak. I don't totally hate the sound with resonators but it definitely doesn't sound as pure imo. For $99 I may give it a try!

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
Mine is fairly loud. I can hear it running from inside my house and I park about 30 yards or so from my front door. Believe it or not it does get a little quieter the warmer it gets.
It’s about as loud as it gets on cold lol
I really want this exhaust but it's probably too loud on cold start. But I leave for work at 4 am and don't want to have angry family and neighbors.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really want this exhaust but it's probably too loud on cold start. But I leave for work at 4 am and don't want to have angry family and neighbors.
I’m in the same boat. My neighbors **** me off all the time anyway though. I put the Carven Competitor cat back on and absolutely love it.
It’s really not that bad. One loud grow at startup but it mellows out pretty quick.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would feel bad starting my truck at 4am all the time. It’s pretty loud, and super loud on the first acceleration until it shifts out of first gear for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread