5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carven Exhaust Questions

Availingfaith

Reaction score
Finally found my Rebel a couple weeks ago after months of searching, excited to get to work on it. Feels good being back in a truck after a decade without one. Looking to get exhaust work done and have decided to go with Carven. Had a few quick questions though. It seems my 3 options are the Universal Muffler (R or TR), the Direct Fit Cut & Clamp (uses R muffler) and the full Cat-Back (uses R muffler). Based on various clips, I was leaning towards the Universal TR Muffler with Carven's 5.0 black tips, seeing how that sounded and if needed, deleting the resonators.

I talked with a Carven rep and they said they don't use the TR Muffler on any of their 2019-2023 Ram products due to internal R&D not being able to get the sound right with it - something about it being louder than the R for some reason. That threw a bit of wrench in my plans. The rep was pushing the Cut & Clamp kit over the Universal route.

I believe the factory muffler is 3" in and 2.5" out? Carven's universal mufflers are listed in either 2.5 or 3" (I assume this is the in diameter since they list a 5" out diameter). I've seen plenty of videos of people using the R or TR Universal on our trucks but curious how that install works with the diameter not matching. I assume I'd order the 3"?

Are there any pros / cons between going with the universal fit vs. the cut & clamp option other than ease of install and cost? Low end torque loses more with the universal fit or not really?

I'm a bit stuck because I think the R Muffler is too tame with the resonators but too loud with them out. The Cut & Clamp uses the R. The TR with a resonator delete seemed like the perfect middle but wasn't sure about performance issues using a universal fit and then there's the info the rep said about TR issues on our models.

Any extra considerations with the eTorque systems and exhaust/muffler work? Appreciate any feedback.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally found my Rebel a couple weeks ago after months of searching, excited to get to work on it. Feels good being back in a truck after a decade without one. Looking to get exhaust work done and have decided to go with Carven. Had a few quick questions though. It seems my 3 options are the Universal Muffler (R or TR), the Direct Fit Cut & Clamp (uses R muffler) and the full Cat-Back (uses R muffler). Based on various clips, I was leaning towards the Universal TR Muffler with Carven's 5.0 black tips, seeing how that sounded and if needed, deleting the resonators.

I talked with a Carven rep and they said they don't use the TR Muffler on any of their 2019-2023 Ram products due to internal R&D not being able to get the sound right with it - something about it being louder than the R for some reason. That threw a bit of wrench in my plans. The rep was pushing the Cut & Clamp kit over the Universal route.

I believe the factory muffler is 3" in and 2.5" out? Carven's universal mufflers are listed in either 2.5 or 3" (I assume this is the in diameter since they list a 5" out diameter). I've seen plenty of videos of people using the R or TR Universal on our trucks but curious how that install works with the diameter not matching. I assume I'd order the 3"?

Are there any pros / cons between going with the universal fit vs. the cut & clamp option other than ease of install and cost? Low end torque loses more with the universal fit or not really?

I'm a bit stuck because I think the R Muffler is too tame with the resonators but too loud with them out. The Cut & Clamp uses the R. The TR with a resonator delete seemed like the perfect middle but wasn't sure about performance issues using a universal fit and then there's the info the rep said about TR issues on our models.

Any extra considerations with the eTorque systems and exhaust/muffler work? Appreciate any feedback.
maybe jump on this thread, @Squatch79 has the TR and @1BADRAMLIMITED has the R - both universal mufflers and both welded by a shop but they can give you some feedback on which to order 2.5 or 3", etc

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I have the Carven cat back system on mine. I really like it sounds just loud enough to not be annoying. No drone at all. Even when MDS kicks in it's still sounds good. They did a good job of tuning it.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I wouldn’t call the universal Carven R tame it’s got a good rumble to it even when the engine is warmed up. I am going to take the resonators off soon. I listened to my fair share of exhaust videos on YouTube comparing the Carven R w or w/o resonator's and I feel w/o them it flows more smoothly and has a deeper growl or rumble to it. I feel like the resonators on it sounds suffocated or restricted.

I’ll have a video this up coming week w/ a comparison of the two.

Availingfaith

Reaction score
I wouldn’t call the universal Carven R tame it’s got a good rumble to it even when the engine is warmed up. I am going to take the resonators off soon. I listened to my fair share of exhaust videos on YouTube comparing the Carven R w or w/o resonator's and I feel w/o them it flows more smoothly and has a deeper growl or rumble to it. I feel like the resonators on it sounds suffocated or restricted.

I’ll have a video this up coming week w/ a comparison of the two.
The R w/ resonator delete is max Carven right? I love the sound just on the fence whether it's going to be too loud. I was all set to go with the TR w/ a resonator delete until the Carven rep mentioned them not being able to get the TR to sound right with the 5th gens and in some cases it was coming out louder than the R. Aside from that one rep mentioning it, I haven't seen anything else. Was looking for one step below the R with res delete. Looking forward to those videos.

For your res delete, going with b2Fab kit or something else?

Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The R w/ resonator delete is max Carven right? I love the sound just on the fence whether it's going to be too loud. I was all set to go with the TR w/ a resonator delete until the Carven rep mentioned them not being able to get the TR to sound right with the 5th gens and in some cases it was coming out louder than the R. Aside from that one rep mentioning it, I haven't seen anything else. Was looking for one step below the R with res delete. Looking forward to those videos.

For your res delete, going with b2Fab kit or something else?
I’m not sure what max carven is?

I’m going to go to a local muffler shop I’ve used and have them chop them off and weld in pipe. $80 out the door no cut clamp for me.

Post #39 (Carven R series, 5” tips, no resonators)

Last edited:

Squatch79

Reaction score

I my opinion my TR sounds fine. Just a little louder than stock and as the muffler ages the tone gets deeper as will all exhaust systems in my opinion. I left my resonators as I was afraid that the in-cab drone would be too much without them. As far as drone is considered, it's hardly noticeable until MDS kicks in and then it's not over bearing. I plan on upgrading to the 5" tips once I get the truck back from the body shop. Doubt that will make a difference in sound just more for looks. Regarding the sizing, I just ordered the 3" inlet 3" outlet direct from Carven. Took to a local exhaust shop, they chopped off OEM muffler and welded in the TR and I was there all told maybe 30 minutes. Got out of there spending $75. All told I'm out $157 for the whole shebang. Carven may be having a Labor Day sale so you could possibly get around 10 - 15% off with a code. Just know that it will take around 2 - 2.5 weeks for it to ship unless something has changed since I ordered mine. Overall I'm happy with the TR. May look at doing a resonator delete at one point, but I plan leaving them for the time being. Also mine is an eTorque and I didn't have to account for anything extra when doing this mod.

cmejatt

Reaction score
I was between getting R or TR.
After watching 100s of videos and reading comments I’m going to go with TR-

What I hear is (could be wrong)

TR
sounds very close to stock on warm idle / cruising speeds
Has nice growl when you hit it but isn’t super loud or annoying
Louder cold start
Minimum drone when MDS is on.

R Version
- extremely loud on cold start
- louder on idle
- always ready to make noise
- highway speed sounds goes done but still above stock.
- slightly more drone than TR version but nothing crazy-

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was between getting R or TR.
After watching 100s of videos and reading comments I’m going to go with TR-

What I hear is (could be wrong)

TR
sounds very close to stock on warm idle / cruising speeds
Has nice growl when you hit it but isn’t super loud or annoying
Louder cold start
Minimum drone when MDS is on.

R Version
- extremely loud on cold start
- louder on idle
- always ready to make noise
- highway speed sounds goes done but still above stock.
- slightly more drone than TR version but nothing crazy-
R Version
- extremely loud on cold start (does not sound to loud but I like the volume it produces. When I’m in the house and use remote start it lets me know it worked ;))
- louder on idle (compared to stock yea but warm idle is nice and low grumble how a V8 should sound)
- always ready to make noise( oh yea!!!)
- highway speed sounds goes done but still above stock.(I can’t hear any drone cruising at 75 with my radio on at an 8)
- slightly more drone than TR version but nothing crazy( I have no clue)

Last edited:

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up the full cat back new in box for $500. I was worried about being too loud or drone and to be honest, I am VERY happy with the exhaust. Can it be loud, if you're hitting the gas with reason, YES! Around town it's great and as mentioned on the highway at 80 it's barely noticeable, plus no drone. I don't regret one bit. Btw I'm 52 years old, and it's not too loud....yet :ROFLMAO:

cmejatt

Reaction score
I picked up the full cat back new in box for $500. I was worried about being too loud or drone and to be honest, I am VERY happy with the exhaust. Can it be loud, if you're hitting the gas with reason, YES! Around town it's great and as mentioned on the highway at 80 it's barely noticeable, plus no drone. I don't regret one bit. Btw I'm 52 years old, and it's not too loud....yet :ROFLMAO:
Where you get a Catback for $500? Lol

cmejatt

Reaction score
BTW OP just installed the Carven TR with stock resonators and it sounds amazing!

It’s not super loud if you’re looking for loud.
It’s slightly over stock while cruising . No drone .

Just got it done about 2 hours back.

Waiting to do a cold start lol . I know cold start about to be loud.

Carven TR > Carven R IMO

Availingfaith

Reaction score
What year is your Ram?

I ended up ordering the cut & clamp kit (going to have it welded) which uses the R but still waiting on it to be delivered. I realized that my 19' has 3 resonators, 2 rear of the muffler and 1 forward. That might be why Carven had trouble tuning the TR with the 2019 models. From what I've gathered, Ram stopped using the forward resonator after 2019. Not sure what year they started using it.

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, Ram stopped using the forward resonator after 2019. Not sure what year they started using it.

The first year for 5th generation Rams is model year 2019. Model year 2018 and earlier are 4th gen Rams.

cmejatt

Reaction score
What year is your Ram?

I ended up ordering the cut & clamp kit (going to have it welded) which uses the R but still waiting on it to be delivered. I realized that my 19' has 3 resonators, 2 rear of the muffler and 1 forward. That might be why Carven had trouble tuning the TR with the 2019 models. From what I've gathered, Ram stopped using the forward resonator after 2019. Not sure what year they started using it.
I have a 2024
Just got it Sunday lol

It has 1 muffler and 2 resonators

Availingfaith

Reaction score
The first year for 5th generation Rams is model year 2019. Model year 2018 and earlier are 4th gen Rams.
Right, I'm just talking about the front resonator. My 2019 5th Gen has one and I've read even some 2020s have them. Most other 5th gens don't have a front resonator. It doesn't appear to be tied a specific gen or maybe they were just using old 4th gen stock parts there until they ran out.

Users who are viewing this thread