5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrier bearing/Drive shaft

frostmen

Reaction score
I purchased a new 2021 Ram/Big Horn 5.7 Hemi V8 crew cab back in 01/2021. Started having an issue a couple of months after taking possession where when coming to a stop light and when proceeding forward, the truck would jerk slightly, like the brakes were locked and releasing. Took the truck in to the dealership and they stated that it sounded like the carrier bearing. He went on to say the factory had some inferior carrier bearings that were installed and this issue was on crew cabs only. Stated that if this was the issue that the carrier bearing and drive shaft would need to be replaced. I dropped if off this morning at the dealership for diagnosis and repair. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and could offer some insight/advice. Truck has 8K miles,

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought these trucks all had one piece aluminum drive shafts, but I could be wrong. On my old gmc a sticky slip yoke was a common issue and greasing it would only last a short while. If it does have a two piece drive shaft there will be a slip yoke aswell, just further back.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I was going to say that all rear wheel drive vehicles have a slip yoke, but there are probably exceptions for independent rear wheel suspension and other special cases. All Ram trucks have a slip yoke, but I do not believe that any of the 1500 Rams have a carrier bearing. In any case this sounds exactly like a slip yoke. There is a video kicking around on here covering this.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of people have this issue including myself. It’s not the bearing. It’s the slip joint on the driveshaft. It lacks grease and adding grease only lasts a short time. I’ve greased mine and it’s back already. So I just live with it.

frostmen

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's comments. Seems they need a redesign and a recall.

Users who are viewing this thread