5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay update coming

chrisfuss

Reaction score
This is great news. Now Uconnect is even more obsolete.

Unfortunately not, even updated CarPlay google or apple maps won’t be able to compete against nav on full screen nav... also the Moment you loose cell Signal CarPlay nav becomes useless...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimk hunt

Reaction score
I'll take waze or google maps thru carplay any day over the clunky resident nav. Can't remember the last time I didn't have cell service.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Unfortunately not, even updated CarPlay google or apple maps won’t be able to compete against nav on full screen nav... also the Moment you loose cell Signal CarPlay nav becomes useless...

GPS in phones does not need cellular service and one can always download offline maps of large area or destination of interest and have navigation this way without service.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You do realize you can run car play on your 12" screen right?
If your saying because you can see an outdated crappy map with very limited navigation in 12" mode is better than that we cannot out of respect continue this conversation

chrisfuss

Reaction score
GPS in phones does not need cellular service and one can always download offline maps of large area or destination of interest and have navigation this way without service.

Map goes blank when you loose internet connection on the phone... not sure about Waze if they download map data for the complete route but apple and google maps completely goes blank... it would only make sense if it automatically downloaded the complete route...

You do realize you can run car play on your 12" screen right?
If your saying because you can see an outdated crappy map with very limited navigation in 12" mode is better than that we cannot out of respect continue this conversation

Guess what I do realize that... but what’s the point on having a 12“ screen if your map gets cramped in on the top half in low resolution? Great...

Agree on the uconnect map being outdated but at least with sending the destination via app you can now navigate to every address... map display is far superior, higher resolution, lane guidance display is waayyy better, instrument cluster displays turns, no comic style map, does not switch screen when passenger wants to change music on Spotify...

Im All in criticizing uconnect and it’s outdated maps but unfortunately at least for me CarPlay Navigation is far from being a serious alternative...
Not sure what that has to do with respect but guess you won’t tell since you stopped the conversation right there...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Map goes blank when you loose internet connection on the phone... not sure about Waze if they download map data for the complete route but apple and google maps completely goes blank... it would only make sense if it automatically downloaded the complete route...
So you’re saying that you’ve gone into the Google Maps options, selected “Offline maps”, downloaded the relevant areas for your trip, and it’s not working for you? Sounds like you have a Google support issue. Or...you aren’t aware of and/or haven’t used that feature.

I’m not arguing that a 12” screen isn’t sexier. But UConnect (HERE Technologies, actually) maps are inaccurate in our area, where large-scale road construction is continuous.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To each their own, but IMO, it's nice to have both vehicle-based and phone-based navigation because there WILL be some unforeseen circumstance when one of the systems drops out, and whichever one remains viable during that unforeseen event, you'll be glad you had the backup.

We're all lucky that we have options, and an embarrassment of riches, in this country.

BTW, it's nice that Google Maps now allows downloading map sectors for offline navigation, but credit where it's due, HERE Maps had that capability YEARS before Google did. I use Microsoft Maps a lot of the time, which is based on HERE maps data, and I have never found any deficit in performance or accuracy compared to Google Maps. I think Waze is a big part of the superior "freshness" of data of Google Maps now compared to HERE Maps.

Last edited:

Saints

Reaction score
The new update will support different resolutions so hopefully we will be able to view it on the full 12” screen.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
So you’re saying that you’ve gone into the Google Maps options, selected “Offline maps”, downloaded the relevant areas for your trip, and it’s not working for you? Sounds like you have a Google support issue. Or...you aren’t aware of and/or haven’t used that feature.

I’m not arguing that a 12” screen isn’t sexier. But UConnect (HERE Technologies, actually) maps are inaccurate in our area, where large-scale road construction is continuous.

So I have to specifically download map areas in google maps... then I can use the google map in the uconnect app to search for a location and send it to the truck and have a proper map display and turns displayed in the instrument cluster...

The new update will support different resolutions so hopefully we will be able to view it on the full 12” screen.

It would have to be implemented by uconnect and I don’t see that happening, maybe with a next generation 12“ nav... plus from reading through the Release notes i interpret this rather to be used for secondary displays to maybe use a hud for turn displays but I’m not sure if you could just display a larger map screen from CarPlay...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I have to specifically download map areas in google maps... then I can use the google map in the uconnect app to search for a location and send it to the truck and have a proper map display and turns displayed in the instrument cluster...
Most importantly, with Google Maps, you can receive directions on roads that actually exist!

Jtc411

Reaction score
2 points here on the navigation front. A) most cell providers have service almost everywhere. B) my iPhone always caches my map/directions so if I lose service I still have my directions. I’d rather have this for navigation than the stock maps that will be outdated in no time and cost for updates

Saints

Reaction score

It would have to be implemented by uconnect and I don’t see that happening, maybe with a next generation 12“ nav... plus from reading through the Release notes i interpret this rather to be used for secondary displays to maybe use a hud for turn displays but I’m not sure if you could just display a larger map screen from CarPlay...

Taken from apple.com

Adjustable screen size
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that change the size of the display dynamically.

Uconnect already does this so all it would take is an update.

Second video stream support
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that show information in a second screen, such as in a cluster or HUD.

This is already implemented in Uconnect also.

Irregular screen size support
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that display edge to edge in nonrectangular screens.

I see this more for screens like Mercedes has, but still more support for options. All of this could easily be carried over to the Ram. Now if or how long that would take for FCA/ Sirius/ whoever to do is another question.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Taken from apple.com

Adjustable screen size
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that change the size of the display dynamically.

Uconnect already does this so all it would take is an update.

Second video stream support
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that show information in a second screen, such as in a cluster or HUD.

This is already implemented in Uconnect also.

Irregular screen size support
Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that display edge to edge in nonrectangular screens.

I see this more for screens like Mercedes has, but still more support for options. All of this could easily be carried over to the Ram. Now if or how long that would take for FCA/ Sirius/ whoever to do is another question.

My bet it will not make its way into the current rams they are struggling providing a working software in the first place so hopefully they concentrate on bug fixing rather than starting to mess with a new car play implementation...

yet making use of different screen size for CarPlay is one thing using a larger screen in an app ie with full screen map another...

Viper67

Reaction score

Not true. You can download maps to your phone with google maps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread