5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay not working - 2022 Bighorn 8.4"

turbojimmy

Reaction score
Hey all - this is my first post here. Tonight I traded my '20 Daytona 392 Charger for a '22 Ram Quad Cab 1500. It was an hour-and-a-half drive home from the dealer and I'm really liking this truck. But...I can't get CarPlay to work at all. I connected the phone via bluetooth and only get phone and audio options. No CarPlay. If I hardwire it, the phone shows up with a CarPlay icon, but will not connect. Says "Not Connected", when I click on it, it seems to try to connect briefly but does not. I tried a couple of different cables.

I tried my wife's phone (who kindly pointed out that I should have checked all of this out at the dealer) but that behaves the same way. Will not connect.

I like to think that I'm not an idiot. I should just be able to pair it and it should work. That's the way it was in the Charger. Are there any known issues with this system? Do I need to take it back to the dealer?

I don't know how long the truck has been sitting, so the UConnect may need an update?

turbojimmy

Reaction score
Well this morning when I got in the truck, my phone popped up a message that said "Finish setting up CarPlay". And BAM! It works. I have no idea why it wouldn't do that last night.

I'm sure I'll have a million other questions about the truck, but I can scratch this one off the list.

Justtom

Reaction score
I have a 2020 bighorn, yeah the same thing started happening to me too. At first, it worked just fine, now it just connects and disconnects, switches back and fourth from bluetooth to usb, and just randomly decides to play. I've tried different usb ports and the same thing happens. I don't know if it's an apple thing or a ram thing but either way, it's super annoying!

Hopefully mine does what yours did and fixes itself, glad you got yours working though!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 bighorn, yeah the same thing started happening to me too. At first, it worked just fine, now it just connects and disconnects, switches back and fourth from bluetooth to usb, and just randomly decides to play. I've tried different usb ports and the same thing happens. I don't know if it's an apple thing or a ram thing but either way, it's super annoying!

Hopefully mine does what yours did and fixes itself, glad you got yours working though!
2020 doesn't support wireless Carplay, you need to keep the cable connected.

OP has a 2022 which does support wireless carplay.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well this morning when I got in the truck, my phone popped up a message that said "Finish setting up CarPlay". And BAM! It works. I have no idea why it wouldn't do that last night.

I'm sure I'll have a million other questions about the truck, but I can scratch this one off the list.
If you didn't try connecting it until after you were driving it probably prevented it from finishing so you weren't distracted while driving with the set up process

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Have you tried a new Apple USB cord? Apple devices are very sensitive when it comes to the chargering/data cables. Just another one of the multiple reasons I won't buy an iOS device

turbojimmy

Reaction score
If you didn't try connecting it until after you were driving it probably prevented it from finishing so you weren't distracted while driving with the set up process

Yes that was the case on the 90-minute drive home from the dealer. I finally figured out that I had to be stopped to configure the phone (got Bluetooth to work).

But once home, parked in the driveway, no iPhones in the family would connect - wireless or wired. The next morning, like I said, my phone suddenly asked if I wanted to finish setting up CarPlay. I did, and it's been fine ever since. My Charger was a 2020 and therefore wired only. Wireless is a game changer! Love it.

Justtom

Reaction score
2020 doesn't support wireless Carplay, you need to keep the cable connected.

OP has a 2022 which does support wireless carplay.
I understand, what I meant is when it's connected to bluetooth, it's connected to bluetooth to play music and for carplay specifically, it needs to be plugged in. When it is plugged in, it switches beteween carplay and bluetooth. I was not implying wireless carplay, just bluetooth.

Justtom

Reaction score
Have you tried a new Apple USB cord? Apple devices are very sensitive when it comes to the chargering/data cables. Just another one of the multiple reasons I won't buy an iOS device
I specifically used a brand new apple lightning cable and at first it worked really good and now out of no where it stopped. Yeah I love my iphone and have used iphones for years but it might be time to switch to android.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I specifically used a brand new apple lightning cable and at first it worked really good and now out of no where it stopped. Yeah I love my iphone and have used iphones for years but it might be time to switch to android.
Could be your USB hub in the truck itself. Could try using the USB-C ports if you aren't already.

Users who are viewing this thread