5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay Dongle advice

Blackshirts

Reaction score
2020 Bighorn

Was thinking about buying a CarPlay dongle to make it wireless. I've seen some decent reviews, I've seen more negative reviews about quality of connection, reliability, lag, lost features, etc... I also heard new Apple updates can brick the dongle.

Is it worth it and if so which one is the best. Seems like there are multiple ones out there, all look to be the same sold under different names.

Thanks.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I’ve read good reviews too and so I may have a bad unit, but I ran into trouble with map apps like waze, which wouldn’t track my location reliably at all. I’d be going along and the my marker would be a quarter mile behind me or not moving at all. Audio quality was poor as well.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No real issues over the past couple of years (other than needing an occasional reboot on a multi-day road trip).

dss90c

Reaction score
I'm using the Carlinkit CPC200-U2W-Plus. I've had it for about a week now. So far, no issues. Connects every time. Waze works fine and sound quality is good. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic so far.

Mexd781

Reaction score
I bought my wife the cplay2air dongle for her Atlas. It was super easy to setup and seems to be working fine for her. The downside is my 13 year old daughter figured out how to connect to it from the backseat and hijack the radio.

gwatt86

Reaction score
I bought the Carlinkit and ended up returning it. It didn't have any issues and worked fine but after a week, I felt guilty for spending that much money when I can simply plug it in. For me, the idea was more attractive than it ended up being.

mcp6530

Reaction score
Am I the only one who hates car play and android auto? What am I missing? That nice screen gets turned to a clunky looking phone screen. Totally missing the point.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Am I the only one who hates car play and android auto? What am I missing? That nice screen gets turned to a clunky looking phone screen. Totally missing the point.
I do not care for it

I'm only looking for the nav system

I have a thumb drive with over 1k songs so don't need anything else

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Google Maps (or your favorite navigation app) running all the time is incredibly valuable in constant city traffic. In that context, who wants to be looking down at their phone screen incessantly?

Sportznut

Reaction score
I used to feel the same way but now I much prefer Android auto over the OEM nav.

The screen is not quite as crisp but the info is more comprehensive and up to date, more features, easier to use, etc.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BNeal

Reaction score
I've had the original CarPlay for over a year and absolutely love it. On a rare occasion it won't connect, but for the most part it has been flawless. I find the factory GPS to be clunky, outdated and the updates too expensive.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm old. The first thing I do is disable android auto.

Users who are viewing this thread