5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carpet bed question?

Socks

Reaction score
So in the event I dont wait to get a rambox, I see people putting carpet in the bed. What is the reason for this? I fully understand line-x or similar design back there. But, this being my first pick up. I am trying to find out the reason behind this. Pros and cons sort of deal. In my mind the only reason I can think of doing this would be with the addition of a camper shell. Then actually camping in it.
Apologies if this is a dumb question in advance.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do a search on here. I've had a Line X and then the BedRug. BedRug hands down. Easy on the knees, easy on furniture when you haul it, easy to vacuum or pressure wash clean. No downsides IMHO.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do a search on here. I've had a Line X and then the BedRug. BedRug hands down. Easy on the knees, easy on furniture when you haul it, easy to vacuum or pressure wash clean. No downsides IMHO.

I love every reason you just listed. One thing that was holding me back is that with the ramboxes it already feels "small" enough. Does the added thickness contribute even further to that aspect?

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not even noticable, but I don't have Ramboxes nor the Bedrug in my Ram yet.

Socks

Reaction score
Sorry. Did a search but not all were relevant to my question. Seemed like I needed more info than just fit and finish, and pictures of setups.

Also, was sort of hoping someone knew of a carpet style mat. So I can line-x and have carpet on the bottom. Then remove when things get extra dirty.

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
I love my Bedrug. Makes crawling around in the bed of the truck easy on your knees. Also, when you are carrying something that you don't want to get scratched, you can lay it down in the bed of the truck with no issues. Plus Bedrugs stand up to and clean up easily from grease, oil, dirt, whatever. I really don't see a downside unless you use your truck for construction or landscaping.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry. Did a search but not all were relevant to my question. Seemed like I needed more info than just fit and finish, and pictures of setups.

Also, was sort of hoping someone knew of a carpet style mat. So I can line-x and have carpet on the bottom. Then remove when things get extra dirty.

Bedrug is bringing out the XLT mat for the 2019's soon. That'll be what I'll be ordering once available.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bedrug is bringing out the XLT mat for the 2019's soon. That'll be what I'll be ordering once available.

Update us once you have it installed. I'm very disappointed to see other people getting the bedrug here and having quite a bit of excess material between the bed and the tailgate. It was a non issue on my F150, having none extra to get bunched up.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update us once you have it installed. I'm very disappointed to see other people getting the bedrug here and having quite a bit of excess material between the bed and the tailgate. It was a non issue on my F150, having none extra to get bunched up.

Check out the Bedrug website. They have the XLT bedmat pictured in an F150. The material hump in the gap in the pictures was just how my full Bedrug looked in my 2 F150s and my Ram 2500.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check out the Bedrug website. They have the XLT bedmat pictured in an F150. The material hump in the gap in the pictures was just how my full Bedrug looked in my 2 F150s and my Ram 2500.

That's how mine looked in the F150 but not what the full BedRug looks like in pictures others have posted here.

Socks

Reaction score
For those that dont want to go searching another website.
Bedrug classic mat (white truck, covering just the bed)
Bedrug xlt (silver truck, covering the bed and tailgate)
These are not images of the 2019 ram, just for reference.

Attachments

• ex_q80_w700_h500_bedrug-xlt-bed-mats-2.jpg
    ex_q80_w700_h500_bedrug-xlt-bed-mats-2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 47
  • ex_q80_w700_h500_bedrug-bed-mats-1.jpg
    ex_q80_w700_h500_bedrug-bed-mats-1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 48

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The excess material between the end of the bed and the lower edge of the tailgate is the one negative aspect. I've had two Bedrugs and they are great. Accept, that is, for the material that bunches up in the fold area when the tailgate is closed. I had freezing rain a couple of times and I found it impossible to open the tailgate because the material froze together. Had to use copious amounts of hot water to open the gate. I ended up severing the Bedrug leaving the tailgate portion separate from the bed. No problems after.

regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003153 miles.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The excess material between the end of the bed and the lower edge of the tailgate is the one negative aspect. I've had two Bedrugs and they are great. Accept, that is, for the material that bunches up in the fold area when the tailgate is closed. I had freezing rain a couple of times and I found it impossible to open the tailgate because the material froze together. Had to use copious amounts of hot water to open the gate. I ended up severing the Bedrug leaving the tailgate portion separate from the bed. No problems after.

regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003153 miles.

Hard to believe a piece of frozen material wouldn't allow the tailgate to open. You must get a lot of freezing rain where ever in the world you are to have to remove the connector. Is it necessary? Nah but it keeps a lot of crud from getting in between the bed and tailgate.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to believe a piece of frozen material wouldn't allow the tailgate to open. You must get a lot of freezing rain where ever in the world you are to have to remove the connector. Is it necessary? Nah but it keeps a lot of crud from getting in between the bed and tailgate.

Let me be more specific.

I could open the gate slightly, but not enough to completely lower it to unload my ATV. I forced it once and it pulled the Bedrug up and away from the bed floor at the end of the box. Had to re-Velcro it the following spring.

After cutting and severing the excess material, I found that with the tailgate closed the carpet material came close enough together that I never had a debris problem at the bed/tailgate interface.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003157 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread