5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CargoMaxx Rear Coil Spring Upgrade for Towing

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I had the Air Lift 1000 kit on my 2014 Ram. It was a pain to have to inflate/deflate every time and eventually the lines crack and leak making them useless.
Gotcha. Timber Groves have been solid so far.

Any issues with the way they handled a loaded truck?

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
Gotcha. Timber Groves have been solid so far.

Any issues with the way they handled a loaded truck?
I would say they didn't support heavier loads as well as these Timbren's. They still had a slight sag and the Timbren's do make a noticeable difference in handling confidence on the highway with the load as far as turning and sway goes.

Gren71

Reaction score
Zombie thread...but Im curious.

I am working through a couple options for bump stops and tried the amazon rubber Timbren knock offs. I found them to be SUPER bouncy while driving down the road. The truck was more level for sure, but the ride was just awful. Are the timbrens better at absorbing the bounce of the road while driving? or doe they also make the back end sorta bounce. Its hard to describe but I was very aware the ones I was using were rubber.

frisby5

Reaction score
Im looking to install timbrens to. But which ones are the best?

runamuck

Reaction score
I went with the Airlift bags on my '19 laramie. ran 25-30# when towing our 6000# 28' travel trailer. also ran a few more pounds in the tires. the truck towed great.

Gren71

Reaction score
I went with the Airlift bags on my '19 laramie. ran 25-30# when towing our 6000# 28' travel trailer. also ran a few more pounds in the tires. the truck towed great.
Funny, i just ordered them last night. Had them on my gladiator and they lasted two years w/o an issue.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Airlift 1000's. They did okay, but still sagged a little with them at max pressure. I then 3D printed some spacers to take up the 1" for the ORG/Rebel springs. That helped, but eventually replaced them with Timber Grove helper springs. These are great. Should have just started there. The ultimate decision maker for me though was that external bags provide lift, where internal bags don't really. This allows me to help level my truck with the RTT.

I've never tried the bump stops.

frisby5

Reaction score
I had the Airlift 1000's. They did okay, but still sagged a little with them at max pressure. I then 3D printed some spacers to take up the 1" for the ORG/Rebel springs. That helped, but eventually replaced them with Timber Grove helper springs. These are great. Should have just started there. The ultimate decision maker for me though was that external bags provide lift, where internal bags don't really. This allows me to help level my truck with the RTT.

What external bags did you put on ?

frisby5

Reaction score
Timber Groves. They are (or were) the only option that didn't require cutting anything off the truck.
How do they ride ? You have to swap them for the coil springs right?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do they ride ? You have to swap them for the coil springs right?
No, these are outboard helpers. When not aired up, you don't even know they are there. When aired up pulling a trailer or hauling a load they ride great.

They recommend you keep at least 5-10psi in them. That is what I'm referring to as not aired up.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Firestone version on my previous Frontier and loved them on that truck. There was no cutting required.

Another nice thing about Timber Grove is they are stainless steel.

frisby5

Reaction score
No, these are outboard helpers. When not aired up, you don't even know they are there. When aired up pulling a trailer or hauling a load they ride great.

They recommend you keep at least 5-10psi in them. That is what I'm referring to as not aired up.

Do you have a link ? I am looking on the website and dont see anything about outside helpers. Only swap out springs

Edit
I think i found it .. where do these mount at?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a link ? I am looking on the website and dont see anything about outside helpers. Only swap out springs

Edit
I think i found it .. where do these mount at?
You remove the rubber bump stop and these bolt in place of them.

runamuck

Reaction score
I know a guy that put those on his '19 laramie and says they work great. pulls a 27' travel trailer.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Be careful with timbrens/sumo springs guys, on the other forum there are reports of cracked frame right above the timbren, the theory being the frame is hitting with far more jaring force in that area as compared to stock springs which are softer and absorb the blow.

I changed my mind on all these helper things a while ago, if you need them that badly while also using a properly setup trailer and WDH, then the truck probably just isn't big enough and its time to upgrade. I just use a good WDH and that took care of my sag/bounce issue. All IMHO.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Timber Grove, hands down. Internal bags just expand to eliminate the spring from compressing. They do not lift the truck. For them to work properly, you really need to air them up first before the spring compresses under load. And, for me, they gave a bouncy ride when not towing and aired down. I removed my Airlift bags for these reasons. The Timber Groves are aired up after the load is applied and you can adjust to whatever height you like. My application is the spring replacement bags because I lowered my truck, but the bags essentially work the same. You will not find better customer service. I have been dealing with Steven quite a bit over the last year and he is very supportive of his product and customers. Great product, great owner.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
people have to remember that. using these things are meant to assist sag …. and if your off roading. thats alot of force on your frame and axle… i would get heavy duty springs and the bumps stops not just one

also when i tow heavy i dont go fast, many times im below the speed limit 😂

Users who are viewing this thread