5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CargoMaxx Rear Coil Spring Upgrade for Towing

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
I've got a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie with the offroad group(non-air suspension) which sits 1" higher and towing my 20 foot 2003 Lund 2025 Pro V is causing quite a bit of rear squat. I ordered the CargoMaxx Extra Heavy Duty Variable Rate rear coil springs for my truck which are rated for 70% higher spring capacity. These are standard ride height trucks so I also ordered the MotoFab 1" rear lift spacers to bridge the gap. I'll be having these installed in a week or two and will report back with an update after. Here's how the truck was sitting towing my boat currently below. I probably won't have an update on the towing difference for a month or two as the boat is in shrink wrap for the winter still. Fwiw I've had the Airlift 1000 kit on my prior 2014 and don't wanna deal with that anymore as the lines always crack and leak and it's pain airing up and airing down all the time. I'm hoping the variable rate coils will still ride smooth enough without the weight on the truck. If anyone else has run these coils or another increased capacity coil on their 1500 feel free to share your results. Here's the coils I purchased to install: 2019 - 2021 Dodge Ram 1500 Rear Extra Heavy Duty Variable Rate Coil Springs.

Attachments

• ECBC5568-DF44-4AB3-86D4-CC04EBE5D78E.jpeg
    ECBC5568-DF44-4AB3-86D4-CC04EBE5D78E.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Reaction score
I used the tufftruck version on my old 12 longhorn. It did change the ride quality a bit but it helped with the sqaut when loaded.
It also seemed to have raised the truck, but I don't remember what version I got.

My theory was "it is a truck and it rides like a truck" if I wanted a smooth ride I would get a sports car.

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Carli's Rebel HD rear coil springs will work in the Laramie Off Road Group trucks? Are the rear coils interchangeable between these two?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much help, but I do know they are very proud of their springs. 🤑

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't want my truck to ride like a 1 ton so I went with the Timbren SES kit. Used it on my 2020 Ram then swapped to my 2021 Jeep Gladiator and now using them on the 2022 Ram. With around 900 lbs. of tongue weight pulling a 24' enclosed trailer, the Timbren kit makes the Ram 1500s ride like Cadillacs. I love it. But then when the truck is unloaded you're riding on factory coil spring rates.

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
I didn't want my truck to ride like a 1 ton so I went with the Timbren SES kit. Used it on my 2020 Ram then swapped to my 2021 Jeep Gladiator and now using them on the 2022 Ram. With around 900 lbs. of tongue weight pulling a 24' enclosed trailer, the Timbren kit makes the Ram 1500s ride like Cadillacs. I love it. But then when the truck is unloaded you're riding on factory coil spring rates.

Hmmm never seen that before. That seems like a much better option... I still haven't installed these springs yet. I'm going to order those then.

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm never seen that before. That seems like a much better option... I still haven't installed these springs yet. I'm going to order those then.

Just make sure you check and get the 1.5" of clearance between the bottom of the Timbren "spring" and the bump stop perch. If the spacing is less than that they will still work 100% normally but you'll get a harsh thud when the rear suspension hits bridge expansion joints, railroad tracks, etc. Some people don't like that. I got used to it.

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
Just make sure you check and get the 1.5" of clearance between the bottom of the Timbren "spring" and the bump stop perch. If the spacing is less than that they will still work 100% normally but you'll get a harsh thud when the rear suspension hits bridge expansion joints, railroad tracks, etc. Some people don't like that. I got used to it.
Ok doesn't sound like I'll have any choice if there's no room for adjustment. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I remember you posting about this, but I thought you got the cheaper knockoffs and tested them against the Timbrens, and then ultimately prefered the knockoffs as they were softer. Is that still the case or am I just remembering that wrong?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember you posting about this, but I thought you got the cheaper knockoffs and tested them against the Timbrens, and then ultimately prefered the knockoffs as they were softer. Is that still the case or am I just remembering that wrong?

You got it. The knock-offs sold on Amazon had a totally different rubber composition (to keep them cheap I'm sure) and they were a bit softer. The Timbrens are more robust and are actually rated for lots of weight. I don't think the knock-offs had a weight rating. Either kit will do the job.

And after all of that I ended up buying a Husky Centerline TS hitch. It load levels AND reduces sway. I LOVE it. It's a bit of a pain to hook up each time, but it makes towing a dream. I pulled the 24' enclosed trailer in high cross wind on I-74 once and didn't even sweat it. And because of how the weight distribution works it takes the stress off the area of the frame between the cab and bed where we've seen so many trucks fail on social media in recent years. So this hitch is my go-to now, although I did still keep my Timbren kit.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You got it. The knock-offs sold on Amazon had a totally different rubber composition (to keep them cheap I'm sure) and they were a bit softer. The Timbrens are more robust and are actually rated for lots of weight. I don't think the knock-offs had a weight rating. Either kit will do the job.

And after all of that I ended up buying a Husky Centerline TS hitch. It load levels AND reduces sway. I LOVE it. It's a bit of a pain to hook up each time, but it makes towing a dream. I pulled the 24' enclosed trailer in high cross wind on I-74 once and didn't even sweat it. And because of how the weight distribution works it takes the stress off the area of the frame between the cab and bed where we've seen so many trucks fail on social media in recent years. So this hitch is my go-to now, although I did still keep my Timbren kit.
I use the Equal-i-zer and have same results. They are basically the same product. Wouldn't haul my trailer without it.

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
Got the Timbren's installed today. So far so good driving it down the road doesn't feel any different than before. I'll post back after I tow my Lund again in the next week or two how they help with the sag.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
So here’s an update after two weeks of driving with the Timbrens and trailering the Lund:

#1 they do ride like stock unless you hit a good bump like train track crossings where you can feel the rear is stiffer but it’s nothing bad imo.

#2 the rear doesn’t sag anymore towing the boat.

Overall I’m very happy with this upgrade and would recommend these over airbags 100%.

Here’s how the truck sits now:

e5e93da237a4b83a3ebb0d919d2fc32f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
Here’s another pic of how the truck sits towing the Lund now.

896b0aacb819e4cbd365cd856266baac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
Have you had airbags previously? Curious why you say these over airbags.
Yes I had the Air Lift 1000 kit on my 2014 Ram. It was a pain to have to inflate/deflate every time and eventually the lines crack and leak making them useless.

Users who are viewing this thread