5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo on top of a tonneau cover?

BP24

Reaction score
I recently put a Lomax hard tri fold cover on my 2020 1500 crew cab. I see that it can hold 400 lbs of evenly distributed weight, and I believe the Bak Flip can as well. Has anyone tried to carry something on top of the cover, like a Thule soft roof bag? If so, how did it work out and how did you secure/tie it down to the cover?

Nukegm426

Reaction score
While you could carry weight on it, it’s more of a being able to temporarily hold weight. There’s usually no way to tie things down.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
A couple months ago I was helping my wife's friend move about 100 miles. I'd told her ahead of time to rent a 6x10foot trailer, but she went and got the 4x6foot instead, swearing up and down all her stuff would fit in it. Well, it obviously didn't. We ended up cramming that sucker completely full, filling her car and her boyfriends car to the brim as well as filling my back seat and bed. But we still had the mattress and boxspring to deal with. So what we ended up doing was shuffling some things around, moving some stuff from the bed to my passenger seat, and we were able to get the tonneau cover on my truck rolled closed, then put the mattress and box spring on top of my tonneau cover (queen sized incase anyone cares), but that covered the stake pockets so I couldn't strap it there. Instead I ended up attaching a ratchet strap to my backseat bracket and running it out the back sliding window, and securing it to my hitch. I had also laid a piece of 3/4 plywood on top of the mattress, to sort of sandwich it down when I tightened the strap, to keep the sides from flopping around. It wasn't the ideal way to do it, but it worked just fine.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
I think the main reason for the weight rating on a tonneau is for things like drunk friends and angry bears... or, probably, snow.

BP24

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I wondered, if in a pinch for extra space, a soft sided roof bag could possibly work but just didn’t see a way to secure it. Appreciate the info.

Users who are viewing this thread