5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo light not shutting off

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
When I unlock the doors on my Lone Star, which has the upper cargo light on the back of the cab but no other bed lighting, the cargo light comes on and does not shut off, I have to shut it off manually. I've only had the truck 3 days but pretty sure it just started doing that this afternoon, I would have noticed it before. The cargo light indicator on the dash comes on, and I have to press the dashboard cargo light button to turn it off. Just a little electronic glitch? Anybody else had this happen?

Also, when I went to check the manual in UConnect to look it up, there's nothing in the Uconnect menus for the owners manual - where does that normally appear, in the apps? Mine is missing in action - I thought there was supposed to be a full, continually updated user manual in Uconnect.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Did you set your lights to auto? I thought I read that also on the man and u conect mine dose not have it.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Did you set your lights to auto? I thought I read that also on the man and u conect mine dose not have it.

My lights are on manual. I tried them on auto, same problem. The cargo light is supposed to come on for max 60 seconds when you unlock the truck, and it had been doing that....now it just doesn't shut off on its own and you have to hit the light switch inside to turn it off.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Man, this is a real shot in the dark but is there any chance your tailgate isn't closed tightly enough? It wouldn't explain everything but....could be a piece of the puzzle?

Wow, you had me hopeful for a minute because in fact my tailgate was ajar earlier this afternoon and when I went to drive off I got the warning on the dash. So I just went out and tried again, with the tailgate firmly shut.....no dice. All the other lights went off a minute after unlocking but the cargo light stayed on....the mystery continues.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Man, this is a real shot in the dark but is there any chance your tailgate isn't closed tightly enough? It wouldn't explain everything but....could be a piece of the puzzle?

alwi 228, it turns out that you were right! Even though my dashboard "tailgate open" warning was off, I opened and shut it again really hard and that did the trick. This aluminum tailgate is so light, and goes down so gently with the automatic damping, that it's counter-intuitive to really slam it hard when you close it, but apparently that's just what mine needs.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do what I can without having to put on a cape and spandex (y)

lol I thought it was a longshot but had gotten the warning on my truck a few times that the tailgate was open after I closed it because I didn't shut it hard enough. Glad it wasn't anything serious, cheers!

Neocane

Reaction score
Wow, you had me hopeful for a minute because in fact my tailgate was ajar earlier this afternoon and when I went to drive off I got the warning on the dash. So I just went out and tried again, with the tailgate firmly shut.....no dice. All the other lights went off a minute after unlocking but the cargo light stayed on....the mystery continues.

Same exact scenario here as well. Tailgate it firmly closed and I even shut it HARD a few times and no dice. AND my cargo lights are always on along with the tailgate open warning on my dash. Went by dealership and was told to bring it back Monday when the electrician is there to check it out.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same exact scenario here as well. Tailgate it firmly closed and I even shut it HARD a few times and no dice. AND my cargo lights are always on along with the tailgate open warning on my dash. Went by dealership and was told to bring it back Monday when the electrician is there to check it out.

Anyone find a fix to the tailgate warning. Kind of annoying. I don't want to slam it shut.

KRField

Reaction score
Mine did this when I first got it. About 15 hard closes solved the issue permanently. It seems the sensor or whatever needed to be “broken-in”. No I close normal and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neocane

Reaction score
The dealership replaced a faulty sensor in the tailgate and haven't had the problem since then.

Users who are viewing this thread