5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo bag on top of a hard tonneau cover

DeanKing

Reaction score
I need to carry a lot of personal belongings cargo and keep it dry. More than will fit in the bed. I have an inside the rails hard cargo cover that is rated to hold 400 lbs evenly distributed. I am considering buying a truck bed cargo bag and strapping it down to bull rings in the stake pocket holes. I can't imagine the cargo being more than 150 lbs like blankets and the lighter stuff. I can't seem to find anyone on the internet who has tried this. I am only going to need to do this for a year so I am not looking to make a major investment. Does anyone see serious issues? Any better ideas? Any way to make this more secure?

gcscott

Reaction score
I need to carry a lot of personal belongings cargo and keep it dry. More than will fit in the bed. I have an inside the rails hard cargo cover that is rated to hold 400 lbs evenly distributed. I am considering buying a truck bed cargo bag and strapping it down to bull rings in the stake pocket holes. I can't imagine the cargo being more than 150 lbs like blankets and the lighter stuff. I can't seem to find anyone on the internet who has tried this. I am only going to need to do this for a year so I am not looking to make a major investment. Does anyone see serious issues? Any better ideas? Any way to make this more secure?
I use these when I need to carry extra items.
HAUL-MASTER 500 Lbs. Steel Cargo Carrier

HAUL-MASTER Expandable Nylon Cargo Carrier Cover

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to carry a lot of personal belongings cargo and keep it dry. More than will fit in the bed.

Any reason not to make room in the cab/back seat area? flip one seat up maybe and relegate it to storage duty so things are both dry and secure?

As for top of tonneau storage with tie down to bullrings, I would be concerned that the cover would fatigue over time since it's just aluminum anyway. I have a Lomax (i see you have the MX4), and I'm thinking it could benefit from additional C-Channel epoxied to the underside to give it more top-side strength

DeanKing

Reaction score
Any reason not to make room in the cab/back seat area? flip one seat up maybe and relegate it to storage duty so things are both dry and secure?

As for top of tonneau storage with tie down to bullrings, I would be concerned that the cover would fatigue over time since it's just aluminum anyway. I have a Lomax (i see you have the MX4), and I'm thinking it could benefit from additional C-Channel epoxied to the underside to give it more top-side strength
The three other passengers need the seat space. I will keep an eye out for any flexing and reinforce it if I see issues. Perhaps just a piece of plywood from bed wall to bed wall under the bag could also help support without interfering with the folding of my cover. The cover sits flat enough I think it would work.

AndreiV

Reaction score
This how we used to travel in SUV: 5 people + 2 dogs inside, all cargo outside in waterproof box. I might use it with truck in cirtain situation: 5 people inside, 2 dogs outside in heavy-duty kennel in the bed, all closes in the box either insude bed or attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-10-19-30-16-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-10-19-30-16-1.png
    860.5 KB · Views: 87

WasatchBack

Reaction score
This how we used to travel in SUV: 5 people + 2 dogs inside, all cargo outside in waterproof box. I might use it with truck in cirtain situation: 5 people inside, 2 dogs outside in heavy-duty kennel in the bed, all closes in the box either insude bed or attached.

This picture is precisely what made me buy a truck

67 RT

Reaction score
I personally would use cargo bars and a hard cover, but the bag would work fine, IMO. So long as it is secured to something other than the cover, as you indicated.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I personally would use cargo bars and a hard cover, but the bag would work fine, IMO. So long as it is secured to something other than the cover, as you indicated.
What are cargo bars?

67 RT

Reaction score
What are cargo bars?

67 RT

Reaction score
What are cargo bars?

Similar to roof rack bars except for your truck bed. You can use them with hard or soft covers and they come in a variety of heights so you can still access your bed and fold your cover.

DeanKing

Reaction score
Similar to roof rack bars except for your truck bed. You can use them with hard or soft covers and they come in a variety of heights so you can still access your bed and fold your cover.
Thanks but I don’t understand how you use these with a bed cover since they mount inside the bed. Im probably giving away a million dollar idea here but if someone would just step up and do it at least I could buy it: this is exactly what I need but it has to mount in the stake pockets. I want something just like those bars that’s low profile across my cover. The bars should be quick removal so I can get into my cover easily. A really nice idea would be low profile stake hole rails that can accept towers and cross bars from Yakima. Basically a T rail that accepts the cross bar towers to mount. Just giving specs to whoever wants to manufacture my million dollar idea. This isn’t crazy either. Several manufacturers make a cover with this concept built in. It works really well with a canister roll up cover. I actually bought one but didnt like the cover and returned it.

cra1g

Reaction score
This picture is precisely what made me buy a truck

Same here. I LOVE my Grand Cherokee Summit, but was tired of playing "Road Trip Tetris" to cram everything in the back, and still not having enough room. My new Ram is at least as good as the Jeep in every way, but with a HUGE trunk.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A really nice idea would be low profile stake hole rails that can accept towers and cross bars from Yakima.

That sounds a bit like the TracRac rail setup but lower bars or bar clips like Yakima - I'm 100% with you and haven't found a setup I'd use with my Lomax cover

I'm still searching but feel like i've seen what you're talking about as a cross between manufacturers. If you search the forum for 'crossbars tonneau' you'll see the other threads that are close but no dice.

RamConvert82

Reaction score
Having similar thoughts about a cover, rack, and cargo bars. I've got a call in to verify with Agricover that the Adarack Aluminum Pro Series will fit my 2019 as apparently the front stake hole pockets are slightly larger than the previous generation. That's the only rack I can find that will work with a hard folding cover. (I have the Mopar which is the same as Bakflip)

The rails for the Adarack have T-slot channels along their length, but they are oriented 90 deg differently than channels on other setups. They face in not up. I just need to track down which cargo bar base/foot will slot in and then could add bars for a tray or bag.

Before the Ram I had an Avalanche and would put a cargo bag on top of the tonneau exactly like the OP mentioned. Had kayak/SUP on roof, stuff in the bed and a cab full of people/pets. The bag was my overflow solution. I'm looking to replicate that setup now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having similar thoughts about a cover, rack, and cargo bars. I've got a call in to verify with Agricover that the Adarack Aluminum Pro Series will fit my 2019 as apparently the front stake hole pockets are slightly larger than the previous generation. That's the only rack I can find that will work with a hard folding cover. (I have the Mopar which is the same as Bakflip)

so this isn't a low install but it's a rack that works with a tonneau and fits in the stake pocket - just not very pretty I suppose

after seeing this I'm half tempted to make my own 'foot plates' and then build a rack on that

Users who are viewing this thread