5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Max

Ramajama

Reaction score
Been thinking of trading in my 2010 Tundra on a Laramie Crew, lowest dealer offer was $11,500, KBB average trade is $12,500, and carmax offered me $9,000 even for it last night. Don't think this is a nine-thousand dollar truck, do you?

IMG_0013_zpszdxjpadb.jpg

Sometimes they will surprise you...

They offered my in-laws $10,500 for their pristine 2007 Toyotee 4Runner 2WD WITH 70K miles on it. Carvana offered $8290.00 so I figured Carmax would come back with $6-$7k. We were surprised.

The in-laws decided to sit on the offer for 6 days while I tried to retail it for them. Had several people inquiring about it almost immediately. No one would go past $10k on an offer. So after 4 days of constant calls, and lower offers, I could tell they should take the carmax deal. They did!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP, you got a "quit wasting my time" quote.

As far as legit requests their quotes are also based on what they have on the lot. If they have some of whatever you are presenting getting cobwebs from no action, they aren't going to be very aggressive with their value placed on what you brought them.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
So that's why I see so many Carmax commericals "We'll buy yours even if you don't buy ours"
lol, bet there is a party going on back there

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So that's why I see so many Carmax commericals "We'll buy yours even if you don't buy ours"
lol, bet there is a party going on back there
Just like you see "We pay CASH for houses!" signs all over the place down here in Texas. They are clearly offering top dollar ;)

Whynot

Reaction score
Carmax is notorious for low balling trade in offers (and turning around then over pricing their cars), and of course a brand new vehicle takes a huge depreciation hit as soon as it is sold (who wants a used 2019 Ram, even with <1000 miles on it, if you can get a brand new one for close to the same price?) so their offer does not surprise me in the slightest. Important to remember that car depreciation is not linear with time.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Carmax is notorious for low balling trade in offers (and turning around then over pricing their cars), and of course a brand new vehicle takes a huge depreciation hit as soon as it is sold (who wants a used 2019 Ram, even with <1000 miles on it, if you can get a brand new one for close to the same price?) so their offer does not surprise me in the slightest. Important to remember that depreciation is not linear with time.
Doesn't surprise me either. I thought it was funny and entertaining. Thats why I posted this.

Users who are viewing this thread