5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capless Fuel System Locking Gas Cap?

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
My 2023 Ram Rebel has a capless gas tank and the filter door does not lock. Has anyone found an after-market product that will keep someone from syphoning my gas or pouring something in the tank?
Oh, you live in Chicago like me? :rolleyes:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
gm states this reason for a capless fuel tank
"the lack of a cap adds convience for drivers"
Also "Mechanisms in the fuel filler neck make it nearly impossible to siphon more than a few gallons of gas"

Yeah those are quite the reasons. Can only siphon a few gallons and pour some sugar in after.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"the lack of a cap adds convience for drivers"
Also "Mechanisms in the fuel filler neck make it nearly impossible to siphon more than a few gallons of gas"

Yeah those are quite the reasons. Can only siphon a few gallons and pour some sugar in after.
What does putting sugar in a gas tank do? It certainly doesn't hurt the engine, and isn't going to damage the fuel pump either

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What does putting sugar in a gas tank do? It certainly doesn't hurt the engine, and isn't going to damage the fuel pump either

I've no idea what it does. Point is only fuel should be put in there. I saw someone earlier say sugar so sure why not.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've no idea what it does. Point is only fuel should be put in there. I saw someone earlier say sugar so sure why not.
Because people have this ill conceived notion that it will destroy someone's vehicle.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Modern fuel pumps are electronic, but it's possible they could be foiled by a glob of sugar. Again, it merely requires cleaning out the tank in either case.

More Dangerous Than Sugar​

So, what will mess up an engine if it's added to the fuel? Water. But it would have to be a lot of it.

happy now?

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Modern fuel pumps are electronic, but it's possible they could be foiled by a glob of sugar. Again, it merely requires cleaning out the tank in either case.

So, what will mess up an engine if it's added to the fuel? Water. But it would have to be a lot of it.
Diesel?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The filter and pick up screen will prevent any sugar from getting to the pump. And it definitely won't "glob" in gasoline

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
The filter and pick up screen will prevent any sugar from getting to the pump. And it definitely won't "glob" in gasoline
i did NOT write this!!

I only copied it

you could do the same

you know for a moderator you sure like to get into pissing contests with posters!!!!!

happy now?

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i did NOT write this!!

I only copied it

you could do the same

you know for a moderator you sure like to get into pissing contests with posters!!!!!

How is anyone that didn't read the previously linked article supposed to know you're quoting it?

You didn't put quotes around it, or otherwise indicate it was a quote.

There's a quote character on the keyboard and there's a "quote" option on the editor here.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i did NOT write this!!

I only copied it

you could do the same

I'm sorry that you feel correcting false information is getting into a pissing contest. Whether you copied and pasted it or not it's not accurate.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be pretty simple to just pull it open if factory locked? Law of averages says you will be fine...nobody wants your gas and if somebody is putting sugar in your tank it's more likely a targeted vandal

JoshBap76

Reaction score
regardless of why he may want one…….does ANYONE have another option other than the “dust cap” one? I’ve also been looking for one that may work. Thank you in advance.

PS: sugar may not harm your enigine, but a small amount of household bleach with WRECK it. I’d rather have a slight deterrent than non at all

Users who are viewing this thread