5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capless Fuel System Locking Gas Cap?

CBH

Reaction score
My 2023 Ram Rebel has a capless gas tank and the filter door does not lock. Has anyone found an after-market product that will keep someone from syphoning my gas or pouring something in the tank?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe your truck should already have an anti-siphon valve installed from the factory. It would probably be much faster and easier for a thief to just steal your catalytic converter and buy gas with the money they get from scrapping your converter. Sorry you live in such a neighborhood that you would need to worry about such things.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pricey, but this one seems to be well reviewed by RAM owners, I would of course do your own research before you buy.

To prevent someone messing with your fuel system, like sugar, this could be a good idea, it's why they call it a dust cap vs locking cap ...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pricey, but this one seems to be well reviewed by RAM owners, I would of course do your own research before you buy.

To prevent someone messing with your fuel system, like sugar, this could be a good idea, it's why they call it a dust cap vs locking cap ...

I have one of these. It's a little kludgy to use but seems to do what it's supposed to do. But it's rarely used. I only use it if we're going to be parking in public parking overnight since we park in a locked garage at home.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have one of these. It's a little kludgy to use but seems to do what it's supposed to do. But it's rarely used. I only use it if we're going to be parking in public parking overnight since we park in a locked garage at home.

I think I would use one of those after pissing off my girl or a neighbor.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe your truck should already have an anti-siphon valve installed from the factory. It would probably be much faster and easier for a thief to just steal your catalytic converter and buy gas with the money they get from scrapping your converter. Sorry you live in such a neighborhood that you would need to worry about such things.
Can just use the tube that comes with like any capless car\truck and then put the siphon tube into that.

There is no excuse for ram to not have a locking fuel door on the capless system.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can just use the tube that comes with like any capless car\truck and then put the siphon tube into that.

There is no excuse for ram to not have a locking fuel door on the capless system.

I'm pretty sure the tube you are referring to has no impact on the anti-siphon valve. It simply opens the flappers that prevent fuel from sloshing out of the filler neck while driving down the road in a capless system. There is really no reason for a locking fuel door on a capless system or any other system. The microscopic fraction of customers who feel the need for such a thing can seek an aftermarket solution.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the tube you are referring to has no impact on the anti-siphon valve. It simply opens the flappers that prevent fuel from sloshing out of the filler neck while driving down the road in a capless system. There is really no reason for a locking fuel door on a capless system or any other system. The microscopic fraction of customers who feel the need for such a thing can seek an aftermarket solution.
That is such a lame duck response dude.

Are you going to tell me there no longer needs to be a locking latch on your hood because not many people will try to open the hood to do something malicious to the engine bay next?
Maybe we should get rid of locking tailgates too and force people to use other aftermarket solutions for those again too?
When you install an AC in your house do you not lock the window to prevent someone from taking the AC out and going into your house, because only a "microscopic fraction of" people will get broken into?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is such a lame duck response dude.

Are you going to tell me there no longer needs to be a locking latch on your hood because not many people will try to open the hood to do something malicious to the engine bay next?
Maybe we should get rid of locking tailgates too and force people to use other aftermarket solutions for those again too?
When you install an AC in your house do you not lock the window to prevent someone from taking the AC out and going into your house, because only a "microscopic fraction of" people will get broken into?

Nothing lame duck about it; you just failed to comprehend then proceeded to reply with irrelevant fallacy arguments.

Manufactures don't just add options to vehicles out of the goodness of their own hearts free of charge. A very valid excuse for not adding a locking fuel door is that they won't have to add that extra cost for millions of consumers just to satisfy the fears of a microscopic few.

Some on here are always posting about how there is "no excuse" for Ram not including option x or y on a truck. Just recently that clam was made about the lack of a tow hitch on a particular model of truck. I know many people who only use their pickups to haul stuff but never tow who would appreciate not having the cost of a tow hitch added to the price of their truck.

Edited to add: Today's hood latch exists because the federal government required manufactures to spend money to add secondary latching system for safety.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nothing lame duck about it; you just failed to comprehend then proceeded to reply with irrelevant fallacy arguments.

Manufactures don't just add options to vehicles out of the goodness of their own hearts free of charge. A very valid excuse for not adding a locking fuel door is that they won't have to add that extra cost for millions of consumers just to satisfy the fears of a microscopic few.

Some on here are always posting about how there is "no excuse" for Ram not including option x or y on a truck. Just recently that clam was made about the lack of a tow hitch on a particular model of truck. I know many people who only use their pickups to haul stuff but never tow who would appreciate not having the cost of a tow hitch added to the price of their truck.

Edited to add: Today's hood latch exists because the federal government required manufactures to spend money to add secondary latching system for safety.
Nope, super lame response.
Not having a trailer hitch is not a safety concern although very dumb to remove.
The price also did not go down for not having a trailer hitch, they are charging you more for what was already being charged to you before as a standard feature of the base truck.

Allowing anyone direct access to the fuel system by standing next to the truck is also a safety concern, just like direct access into the hood of the vehicle. Ram could of put the latch in the grill to release the hood but they put it inside and thus it is locked without access to the locked interior of the truck. Don't need to worry about someone filling your engine with water down the fill and hydrolocking/destroying it.

The cost of a capless fuel system is more expensive then the old style to manufacture so the thought that you think that any consumer is saving money because of these changes and restrictions is hilarious.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, super lame response.
Not having a trailer hitch is not a safety concern although very dumb to remove.
The price also did not go down for not having a trailer hitch, they are charging you more for what was already being charged to you before as a standard feature of the base truck.

Allowing anyone direct access to the fuel system by standing next to the truck is also a safety concern, just like direct access into the hood of the vehicle. Ram could of put the latch in the grill to release the hood but they put it inside and thus it is locked without access to the locked interior of the truck. Don't need to worry about someone filling your engine with water down the fill and hydrolocking/destroying it.

The cost of a capless fuel system is more expensive then the old style to manufacture so the thought that you think that any consumer is saving money because of these changes and restrictions is hilarious.

LOL! What a bunch of sensational nonsense.

CBH

Reaction score
Neighborhood is great; Police Station 4 blocks away; cameras on all sides of my place; but when I go out of town I like to take more precautions.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Around here, they punch/drill a hole in the bottom of the plastic tank and let it drain. much faster than a syphon

Exactly and a locking fuel door is easily popped open with a screw driver.

I would rather risk the 1 in 1,000,000 chance of my fuel getting siphoned than monkey around with a locking fuel cap.

Reactions: DEG

Users who are viewing this thread