5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap for capless filler neck

Jhaney

Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket cap for the filler hole? I run in lots of dust and fill like this may be a problem area. Thx

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I remember on the 4th gens that had capless fuel fills some people used pvc end caps and they fit pretty good. I'm not sure what size though or if it will even work, haven't looked at the filler hole long enough.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you seen a lot of dust yet? With the rubber seal on the filler door, I’d think dust would be minimal. You could wrap a small rag over the cap less filler opening.

Jhaney

Reaction score
Not yet but I know traveling all the gravel roads I run in the summer there may be issues. I have friends with evap problems already with gas tanks collapsing (not 2019’s). I had problems with my 12 with a cap.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a rubber pipe cap on my Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. Diesel attracts dirt and my filler stayed perfectly clean. It looks like the filler neck OD is smaller on these trucks. I'll see if I can find one that fits at Lowe's.

grinch72

Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket cap for the filler hole? I run in lots of dust and fill like this may be a problem area. Thx
There are actually two flaps now. An inner and an outer flap. I’m thinking between the two you should be ok.

Monteman1971

Reaction score
Bringing this back to life... I see they sell a rubber cap for the GM capless filler neck but nothing for the Ram yet. Anyone heard of anything that can be used?

Steve

Hanmore

Reaction score
Great. Now I have something else to worry about. o_O
I took the top of a wasp spray can. Cut it down so it will not interfere with the door.
Fits nice and tight. Also put a piece of cotton cloth inside. My filler stays like new.
Just kept trying different spray can tops till I found one that fit tight.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are actually two flaps now. An inner and an outer flap. I’m thinking between the two you should be ok.

A little off subject, but grinch72 correctly mentions there are two 'caps', if you will. there is another cap/valve a few inches down the filler neck. Be aware that if you want to pour in an additive/fuel cleaner, you'll need to insert a long enough screwdriver in the neck to open the lower cap. If you don't there will be a lot of what you're pouring all over the outside of the vehicle.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020829 miles.

Kyleuga86

Reaction score
I just looked up the size and a cap. I haven't even put gas in my truck yet, I just got it Sunday, lol. I'm going to put gas in it today when I leave work.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
A little off subject, but grinch72 correctly mentions there are two 'caps', if you will. there is another cap/valve a few inches down the filler neck. Be aware that if you want to pour in an additive/fuel cleaner, you'll need to insert a long enough screwdriver in the neck to open the lower cap. If you don't there will be a lot of what you're pouring all over the outside of the vehicle.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020829 miles.
There's a funnel with the jack for just that purpose.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a funnel with the jack for just that purpose.
Thank you!!

I noticed that thing and thought it was a guide for the rod to remove the spare tire.

Bests,
Dusty

Monteman1971

Reaction score

Best regards,
Dusty
The owners manual says not to use any fuel additives.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread