5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can't turn off headlights??

jaychris

Reaction score
Anyone know the reason why you cannot turn off the headlights when it's dark out? Not talking about DRL, the full on lamps. Doesn't matter what position the switch is in, they're on.

Guys at the boat ramp hate me right now, lol

bonebro

Reaction score
In your uconnect settings under lighting, you can disable drl lights. Drl lights are your low beam headlights. The halo light cannot be turned off.

Damion

Reaction score
Unless your in Canada. Then the low beams are always on. No way to turn em off

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless your in Canada. Then the low beams are always on. No way to turn em off

in U.S. your low beam is your DRL but only run at half brightness during the day and i can turn it off in DRL setting in Uconnect. This is how is work for my trim, maybe different on other trim.

Last edited:

HID Retrofit

Reaction score
One of the most troublesome problem that you can have in a car is when your headlights stop working things can get very dangerous in a big hurry. But headlights can also fail in the other direction. Far from a fail safe, headlights that won't turn off, no matter what you do, can quickly drain your battery and leave you stranded. If you don’t have time to tackle the problem right away, or you just want to be able to leave the car for a while without the battery dying, there are two different ways to keep the headlights from killing the battery. One of the easiest way to keep the battery from dying is to disconnect it. This involves literally disconnecting one of the battery cables from the battery, which requires an appropriately sized wrench or socket. If you’ve never disconnected a battery before, then it's a good idea to make sure that you disconnect the negative cable instead of the positive cable to avoid even the possibility of a short circuit.

Reasons behinds Headlights to Stay On can be that the system may have failed, and you might want to try shutting the headlights off before turning the engine off to see if that helps.

It can also happen that swapping relays doesn't work, your problem may be a bad headlight switch, multi function switch, or light sensor, and the diagnostic procedure will be more complex.

The reason can be a bad headlight switch that's shorted internally may get hot enough to crack, melt, or even burn the plastic housing or electrical connections, but that isn't always the case.

These are some of the most common reasons that might be behind the light failure.

hemiguy37

Reaction score
I had the same issue. I took the switch apart, not hard to do, just have to remove from dash and then took the knob off. I found there are two contacts that were not making contact because I hit the knob with my knee when I got out of the truck. Not sure if its a bad design, or I am just clumsy. LOL

Give it a try, beats several trips or hours at the dealer.

Reaction score
From what I have found and what my buddy showed me is in order to turn the headlights off while idling you need to activate the parking brake. Once it is on you can move the headlight switch to off and the headlights turn off.

The position lights will remain on, but the main headlights should turn off.

Hope this helps.

Toothninja

Reaction score
From what I have found and what my buddy showed me is in order to turn the headlights off while idling you need to activate the parking brake. Once it is on you can move the headlight switch to off and the headlights turn off.

Hope this helps.

Literally just did this!! Great job relating this info! Works!!

RebelBlackBetty

Reaction score

Hope this helps.
Yeah- Ive been wondering the same thing for some time. Haha. Anytime I’m waiting for curbside to go, the people eating dinner at the window in front of my truck must hate me haha. Great post- thanks!

WyoViking

Reaction score
This

Hope this helps

This is the answer. Parking brake. The halo lights still stay on but it's something. I was waiting for my wife at the grocery store with the truck running (winter) and didn't need my headlights shining in the eyes of other parked vehicles.

liq001

Reaction score
in U.S. your low beam is your DRL but only run at half brightness during the day and i can turn it off in DRL setting in Uconnect. This is how is work for my trim, maybe different on other trim.
Can I just let the DRLs on during the day? But the turn the low beam off? I have a 2022 ram 1500 limited. I do see some identical truck running with only DRLs. Also I have a Audi Q8, during the daytime, only the DRL on, unless going into tunnel, or goes into darker time if I leave the headlight in AUTO

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you’re in the states, yes. It’s in your Uconnect settings to turn off your drls and only leave the led strips on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liq001

Reaction score
If you’re in the states, yes. It’s in your Uconnect settings to turn off your drls and only leave the led strips on.

Yes, I am in US. But I just noticed when I turn the DRLs on and off the low beam on/off at the same time. My low beam can’t turn on and off with the ambient lights which is should on and off at AUTO mode.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Your low beam is the drl if you select to have drls on. And in auto, if you have drls off, your lights will only turn on when it’s dark

liq001

Reaction score
Your low beam is the drl if you select to have drls on. And in auto, if you have drls off, your lights will only turn on when it’s dark

You mean my low beam and the outer ring light is the DRLs? But why I do see some of the identical truck ram 1500 limited can run with only the outer contour lights on, but the low beam off? My Audi do the same thing the outer contour light always on, but the low beam on and off with ambient

liq001

Reaction score

So there is no way to let the outer contour lights on, but the low beam on/off with ambient light? That’s so odd to me.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
The low beam IS your drl. Turn drls off and it will only have your accent lighting strips on till you manually turn your lights on or when it’s dark

liq001

Reaction score
The low beam IS your drl. Turn drls off and it will only have your accent lighting strips on till you manually turn your lights on or when it’s dark

Ok, now it’s clear to me. So when I am in AUTO and DRLs off. The accents light should on, and my low beam should on/off with ambient, right?

Users who are viewing this thread